Martin 000x1

I bought this guitar a week before my birthday on May 21st. Prior to the purchase I spent hours and hours searching for the right guitar since this was going to be my first real guitar. As a fingerpickerer, I was looking for a smaller size, preferably triple-0 or a parlor sized guitar. Few of the contestants were Takamine G406S, Seagull Grand Coastline,Parkwood PW320M,Blueridge and Martin 000x1.I was looking for a warmer, deeper sound because my previous(first) guitar, Jasmine/Takamine S34C had a tinny sound which I was getting tired of. Sadly, Seagull Coastline Grand was eliminated because I couldn’t try it. G406S looked phenomenal, pretty, loved the abalone inlays and the sound was large. Large! On the otherhand, Martin 000x1 was plain, and not-so-pretty. However the G406S encompassed that Takamine’s bright tinny- sound that I had from my Jasmine, so I decided to go with the Martin 000x1 which gave me this distinct tone that only HPL back and sides gave.

Looks:

It looks like a plain-jane. Solid top, no top binding,not-so-pretty rosette and no inlays on the fretboard. The headstock looks the usual Martin headstock and the top looks like just a chunk of wood that have been just put on while making the guitar. Very very very plain.

Specs:
Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
Back: Mahogany Pattern HPL Textured Finish
Sides: Mahogany Pattern HPL Textured Finish
Neck: Rust Stratabond
Bracing: A-frame “x-1”
Fingerboard: Solid Morado
Scale Length: 25.4”
Width At The Nut: 1-11/16''
Hand rubbed finish (just top)
Tuners: Chrome with small buttons

Sound:

I tried out many high-ends guitar but Martin 000x1 sounded especially special to me. It had this “zing!” warming sound that just melted my heart. To this day, I always go to guitarcenter every 2 weeks or so to play with guitars and all the time I come to a conclusion that Martin X-series are the best sounding to me. Many people say that HPL is a bad material and I shouldn’t mess with it but I just love the sound so much. I like it so much that I am thinking about making my next purchase, a better x-series. I have a cover of “Wind Song”(you might have to make the volume higher to listen, my microphone was too far away) and there is a playlist a guy created of him doing covers of song using his Martin 000x1. You may be able to tell it has a distinctive sound compared to laminates or all solid construction guitars. It does have a solid top so I am hoping it will continue to open up.

Playability:

Very easy to play, the action was perfect. It was similar to my Jasmine S34C, and first I didn’t like strings at first so I replaced them with D’addario EJ16’s. Its perfect now. The solid morado neck does take time to get used to, it gets extremely hard to play when my palms starts to sweat but other than that, it’s a real keeper.

Price:
I was actually shocked when I found this guitar in my price range. Being only 15, my budget was maximum $600 and I wanted the best guitar for that price range. I know I could’ve gotten a guitar with better wood, like some of the Blueridges with solid spruce top and mahogany sides. But the sound that this guitar made, hell, I would’ve still bought this guitar even if it was made out of recycled garbage, if it made the same sound :p. The guitar was $499 and I was able to haggle it down 10% along with a case and got it for $450 + $100 TKL hardcase. Total $570 ,tax included. Very cheap for a Martin but I love it anyways.

Conclusion:
I love it.

Pictures/Videos:

(These aren’t nylon strings, my camera’s angle was weird)

Last edited by Anathetic at Mar 9, 2011,
Thanks for the early review! I don't have time to read it atm, but i'll come back to it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Thanks, summer was extremley boring so I decided to just do mine, and i asked jimtaka if he could make mine July since the original july person didnt do his... so yuppp. I hope you enjoy!
Oh, BTW

I lacked orginality so I copied Confusius' style of doing the review.

So yea, Thanks Confusius :p
Quote by Anathetic
...But the sound that this guitar made, hell, I would’ve still bought this guitar even if it was made out of recycled garbage...

That's a good thing, because it most likely is. Well, probably not garbage, but certain types of plastic for sure. At any rate, I'm glad you like the sound. It sure looks cool as hell!
Martin 000x1

I bought this guitar a week before my birthday on May 21st. Prior to the purchase I spent hours and hours searching for the right guitar since this was going to be my first real guitar. As a fingerpickerer, I was looking for a smaller size, preferably triple-0 or a parlor sized guitar. Few of the contestants were Takamine G406S, Seagull Grand Coastline,Parkwood PW320M,Blueridge and Martin 000x1.I was looking for a warmer, deeper sound because my previous(first) guitar, Jasmine/Takamine S34C had a tinny sound which I was getting tired of.

This is almost identical to what I've been doing over the last few months. Only difference is that my contestants were the Parkwood PW320M, Guild Gad-30, and Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500R. I told myself that since this is a guitar I want to stick with for life (pretty much) I want it to be the best it can be in my price range. That is, until I found the S Yairi YO-28.

I like your Martin, it's pretty, but although I think you could have done better than HPL, well, if that's the sound you're looking for, than all power to you. As for me, I just ordered a S. Yairi YO-28, which has almost identical specs to some Martins, and the luthier who made it used to make Lowden guitars back in the '80s or something. S. Yairi's are called "Japan's Martins." I converted the price you paid for this and its almost identical to the price I'm paying for mine, only I'm getting solid rosewood back and sides, and mine has better quality tuners.

But I'm just glad to see someone who likes OMs as much as I do. I can't stand dreadnaughts. I can't wait to review mine.....
Last edited by THE NEKRYPH at Jul 14, 2009,
I don't really get the Martin HPL thing. High pressure Laminate, woo-hoo lets push the regular laminate sides tighter so they vibrate even less. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I got from it.
Where the hell did slide guitar go!?!
That's actually not what HPL is. HPL is basically the recycled sawdust from the Martin factory mixed with a sort of glue and then baked into large grey sheets. They slap on a wood grain sticker to finish it off.
Equipment:

Nice review! I love reviews with lots of pictures and videos

So I believe I read that you actually bought a Martin 00-15 after this guitar. That correct?
Quote by captivate
That's actually not what HPL is. HPL is basically the recycled sawdust from the Martin factory mixed with a sort of glue and then baked into large grey sheets. They slap on a wood grain sticker to finish it off.

wow, that sounds even better!

but in all honesty, the neck on that guitar looks stellar.
Where the hell did slide guitar go!?!
Nah, you're missing the point of HPL - it's the neck that's made of HPL (High Performance Laminate), and it's the rquivalent of a Glulam beam. This is where sheets of wood are glued together and the neck is made from this. The result is a material which is 4 times stronger than mahogany yet is sustainable and doesn't mean cutting down endangered trees.

The neck is fantastic to look at, and being so strong is the secret to phenomenal sustain that is achieved by this guitar. This is why it's a £500 guitar that sounds like a £1500 guitar.
^ For the neck, I have no problem with HPL. I think it's a fine idea.

The body however, is different though. You DON'T just want a strong wood. You want a wood that is both flexible and strong at the same time. If it's too stiff, it won't resonate properly.

And no, it is not a $1000 guitar that sounds like a $3000 guitar. I'm sorry, but if you really think that's true, you've never played a real $3000 guitar.
Equipment:

cap is, as always, completely correct.

Quote by captivate
^ For the neck, I have no problem with HPL. I think it's a fine idea.

The body however, is different though. You DON'T just want a strong wood. You want a wood that is both flexible and strong at the same time. If it's too stiff, it won't resonate properly.

And no, it is not a $1000 guitar that sounds like a $3000 guitar. I'm sorry, but if you really think that's true, you've never played a real $3000 guitar.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
year and a half old thread is old....ts probably isn't even around anymore