Ok, so I just installed the emg 81tw and 89 on my g-400. I followed the wiring diagram off emg's site for 2 volume and 1 tone. I wired it up and now its gone really weird.

For starters, when I switch pickups it has no effect it sounds the same. When I use my push pull knobs, no effect. Hell even the volume controls do absolutely nothing, no volume loss when turned down, tone control does nothing. I am using a new Panasonic battery, is that the problem do they need Duracell or something? Bad switch? It is very weird, its like Its wired but its bypassing all the controls or something.

Edit: Sounds like the tone knob is always at zero.

Sorry don't have a camera right now, and the diagram is a pdf so I can't really post it.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Jul 8, 2009,
Don't have a camera at the moment. Any idea where the problem could be? Or do they sound this bad. They sound very crappy also, very dark sounding.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Don't have a camera at the moment. Any idea where the problem could be? Or do they sound this bad. They sound very crappy also, very dark sounding.

Anyone else wanna do the honors?
Quote by Knurlheim
Anyone else wanna do the honors?

keep your crap out of this thread unless you have something to contribute.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by JoePerry4life
I am using a new Panasonic battery, is that the problem do they need Duracell or something?
lol, no.

Quote by JoePerry4life
Quote by mikeyElite
pictures if you can.
Don't have a camera at the moment. .
pity. with pics, maybe we could help without... basically impossible.

Quote by JoePerry4life
Any idea where the problem could be?
Yeah, you messed up the wiring. Question is ... where?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
haha just a thought. Is it possible that the battery is touching all the pots and some wire connections and is messing up the signal? batteries are made of metal after all.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
haha just a thought. Is it possible that the battery is touching all the pots and some wire connections and is messing up the signal? batteries are made of metal after all.

Hmm i don't see how that would happen seeing as everything apart from the terminals is non-conductive and the terminals are plugged in to the battery recepticle which is covered by plastic or some sort of weird vinyl thing. If it was that however it would be pretty easy to test by just seperating out the battery from the electronics using say a bit of foam or whatever.

As SYK says though, it is pretty much impossible for us to help unless you have pics so you'll either have to get a camera or take another look at the electronics and the diagram and figure it out for yourself ?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Did you wire the pups to the right pot terminals if they are reversed or on the wrong terminal it will bypass the sound straight to the output........or so thats whats happened to me in times like these when I'm confused and pissed off a 3:00 in the morning cause my pups are bypassing my pots..........i'm throwing my best electrical knowlege here.........i'm a little ashamed of that.

Edit: Also listen to SYK he knows his stuff and its almost mandatory to show pics in the GB&C.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Last edited by Unherolike at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by Unherolike
Did you wire the pups to the right pot terminals if they are reversed or on the wrong terminal it will bypass the sound straight to the output........or so thats whats happened to me in times like these when I'm confused and pissed off a 3:00 in the morning cause my pups are bypassing my pots..........i'm throwing my best electrical knowlege here.........i'm a little ashamed of that.

Edit: Also listen to SYK he knows his stuff and its almost mandatory to show pics in the GB&C.

nope that's not really true, if you reverse them then the volume control is simply reversed. That's what i did by accident on my guitar and the volume works fine just the wrong way round lol. The volume would not have any effect (or it would just act like a weak tone control) if the 3rd terminal is not connected to ground.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Wait i forgot to elaborate if he acidentially wired the live to the correct terminals and did not ground the pot to its self by bending the terminal tab into itsself and soldering it there....You wrote that already.......damn.......thats what I remeber almost smashing my guitar for........I'm going to bed I need sleep and i'm not coherent when i'm sleepy so eddie you might be right that might what i did that caused that and TS sould look into that its a common mistake in my experience.......for me i mean.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
This may be of no use but check that the cap leads are not accidentally touching a signal wire where there not supposed to. I had a problem with my wiring that the tone was like constantly 0, I checked and the cap lead was touching the wire from the volume pot to the tone and sending all the high frequencies to ground . Wrapped the leads in electrical tape to stop that happening and it was fine.

Although the other stuff still needs fixing. If nothing is working like its supposed to, then I would recommend unwiring everything and starting from scratch, following the diagram meticulously. It's the best I say without pics for more experienced UGers to help. Sometimes its best to start again, and the whole thing shouldn't take too long (and even if it does, your guitar's worth it, right? )
Last edited by supergerbil at Jul 9, 2009,
Though this probably wouldn't matter too much, what are all the pots' values?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by BR0THERALEX
does it sound any different when you remove the battery

They're EMGs... they'll sound a lot different...well actually, they wont sound at all

And this is really futile without pics.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
OK, the pots are 25k pots, I followed the diagram correctly. As some have said the best thing to do is rewire it again, be extra careful etc. Thanks for your help, I'll try the things you said.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ