Its like every time i hear a new amp it sounds better than the last. Ive been playing on a Behringer Vtone starter amp for a while and it was fine. Then I bought a Peavey Vypyr 75w and i was totally pumped because it sounded 20x better than the behringer.

So an old friend of mine calls me up to jam, and i get to his place and hes got a Crate GT212, not a super amp, but it sounds amazing compared to my Vypyr, the tone is so full and rich. Its way beyond my vypyr in terms of tone.

So i guess the moral of the story is TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!
Quote by subzero364

So i guess the moral of the story is I wouldn't know good tone if it came up and kicked me right in the fanny.
Tone is in the fingers.

Also: I think the GT212 has more gain on tap, along with haunting mids and fragile harmonics.
*sigh*
You have no tone ear. It's okay though, it'll come eventually.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by imgooley
Tone is in the fingers.

Also: I think the GT212 has more gain on tap, along with haunting mids and fragile harmonics.
Ok Howard Dumble.

Quote by imgooley
along with haunting mids and fragile harmonics.

BAHAHAHAHAHHAAH oh goolz
i think that is the reason for new equiptment, except ease of use (headphones, new neck)

eventually, 20 years from now, you will be so damned close to YOUR sound, but what does it need? pick on deeper on that part? maybe pick twice doing three-note coils (malmsteem), or maybe the attack level knob needs to be turned down on the compressor, just a hair...and the sustain knob up, just a hair

mmmmmm, tone.....dont you love it in all its complexity?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
wait so i dont know good tone because i think a Vypyr sounds better than a Vtone? Or because I think a GT212 sounds better than a Vypyr?
The second IMO. I think all those solid state crates are crap, but it depends what you want out of it. The gain on them is OK, but i don't like pre-amp distortion...

They aren't meaning to insult you, they are simply saying that what you are describing is your ear starting to notice subtle differences in amps. Nurture this, go out and play 15 amps in one day, eventually you will be saying "x is better for y, and z is better for a" instead of just "x sounds better than y."
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
i think that is the reason for new equiptment, except ease of use (headphones, new neck)

eventually, 20 years from now, you will be so damned close to YOUR sound, but what does it need? pick on deeper on that part? maybe pick twice doing three-note coils (malmsteem), or maybe the attack level knob needs to be turned down on the compressor, just a hair...and the sustain knob up, just a hair

mmmmmm, tone.....dont you love it in all its complexity?

Ugh. I wish I had more pedals and a better amp with like....a 16 band EQ pedal. I'd be busy for weeks. My ear is developing more after about three years. You touch one knob on my bass amp, I'll know.....and I'll find you....

Guitar amp not as much.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by guitarted
false, false, false.

just false.

You are false. That is obviously not 100% true, but neither is "tone is not in the fingers," so I don't think 4 falses were necessary.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
fingers are such a minuscule part of a persons tone that it isn't really even worth mentioning, and definitely not why one amp sounds better than another. if anything, a tonal change from a different person playing the same is technique, not because they have better fingers.
Quote by subzero364
wait so i dont know good tone because i think a Vypyr sounds better than a Vtone? Or because I think a GT212 sounds better than a Vypyr?
You might think the Crate sounds better because you haven't tweaked your presets to get a good tone. Multifx can be very frustrating trying to dial in what you are looking for. Sometimes there's just a handful of good tones in an almost infinite number of settings. I guess the question is what do you perceive to be the difference between the Vypyr and the Crate? I have a Vypyr 15 and find moderate dirt to sound pretty grainy. I'd say the Peavey Bandit I used to have had a better classic rock crunch. Which is odd because they say the Vypyrs use analog transtube distortion.
Quote by guitarted
fingers are such a minuscule part of a persons tone that it isn't really even worth mentioning, and definitely not why one amp sounds better than another. if anything, a tonal change from a different person playing the same is technique, not because they have better fingers.
I couldn't disagree more. The quality of your playing significantly impacts a persons perception of the tone.
Quote by guitarted

tone in the fingers refers to the technique, not the physical difference in fingers (although that can indeed play a part). A players attack, vibrato, picking position, etc. are all unique and very distinguishable traits. Skill is more important to tone than gear, and two people playing through the same gear can sound drastically different
Quote by tubetime86
The second IMO. I think all those solid state crates are crap, but it depends what you want out of it. The gain on them is OK, but i don't like pre-amp distortion...

You're aware some Crates are essentially clones of the Ampeg SS-70, yes? It's one of the best sounding solidstate amps ever made.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by fly135
You might think the Crate sounds better because you haven't tweaked your presets to get a good tone. Multifx can be very frustrating trying to dial in what you are looking for. Sometimes there's just a handful of good tones in an almost infinite number of settings. I guess the question is what do you perceive to be the difference between the Vypyr and the Crate? I have a Vypyr 15 and find moderate dirt to sound pretty grainy. I'd say the Peavey Bandit I used to have had a better classic rock crunch. Which is odd because they say the Vypyrs use analog transtube distortion.

Well im talking about high gain stuff here. Im using a Strat copy with singe coils and my friend uses an Ibby with Humbuckers on his crate. When we play side by side (usually around yelling volume if that makes any sense), I find my highs sound just as good as his, but my mids/lows are hollow and muddy? Im not sure if these are the right words to use but theyre the first ones that come to mind. Basically my lows sound like someone taking a ****.

I dont know if its the difference in pickups, or Im really bad at settings/eq, I mean both amps are SS and comparable in price, so I was pretty shocked at how much better this crate sounded than mine

EDIT: Also I dont know if this has anything to do with anything, but I had some 2 year old strings on my guitar, I restringed it with EB super slinkies, and my guitar sounds significantly worse than before
Last edited by subzero364 at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by pak1351
tone in the fingers refers to the technique, not the physical difference in fingers (although that can indeed play a part). A players attack, vibrato, picking position, etc. are all unique and very distinguishable traits. Skill is more important to tone than gear, and two people playing through the same gear can sound drastically different

+1

TS - if you like the Crate better then you like the Crate better. I'm not sure what the point is of this thread.
Quote by subzero364
Well im talking about high gain stuff here. Im using a Strat copy with singe coils and my friend uses an Ibby with Humbuckers on his crate. When we play side by side (usually around yelling volume if that makes any sense), I find my highs sound just as good as his, but my mids/lows are hollow and muddy? Im not sure if these are the right words to use but theyre the first ones that come to mind. Basically my lows sound like someone taking a ****.?

I dont know if its the difference in pickups, or Im really bad at settings/eq, I mean both amps are SS and comparable in price, so I was pretty shocked at how much better this crate sounded than mine

EDIT: Also I dont know if this has anything to do with anything, but I had some 2 year old strings on my guitar, I restringed it with EB super slinkies, and my guitar sounds significantly worse than before

It all comes together.. Its not the amp its your guitar...
Quote by STABxYOU
You're aware some Crates are essentially clones of the Ampeg SS-70, yes? It's one of the best sounding solidstate amps ever made.

Aside from the sterile, clean tone of a JC-120, I have no use for solid state. I'm not saying they aren't useful for some genres but as I said, I don't do br00tz so to me they are junk. But, yes, I do acknowledge that some are better than others.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by subzero364
Well im talking about high gain stuff here. Im using a Strat copy with singe coils and my friend uses an Ibby with Humbuckers on his crate. When we play side by side (usually around yelling volume if that makes any sense), I find my highs sound just as good as his, but my mids/lows are hollow and muddy? Im not sure if these are the right words to use but theyre the first ones that come to mind. Basically my lows sound like someone taking a ****.

Did you try playing his guitar with humbuckers through your amp? Single coils and Humbucking pups sound very different, especially if you want high gain type sounds.

But your original point is very true, try a ton of stuff before you buy, especially your 'second' guitar or amp, as you will have a better idea of what you want than when you are a beginner.
Quote by Chetbango
Did you try playing his guitar with humbuckers through your amp? Single coils and Humbucking pups sound very different, especially if you want high gain type sounds.

But your original point is very true, try a ton of stuff before you buy, especially your 'second' guitar or amp, as you will have a better idea of what you want than when you are a beginner.

Ill definitely try out his guitar on my amp next time. Ive tried using various pickup configurations on my guitar too, it has a 5-way selector, but nothing seems to get the job done quite right.

Also we both agreed that my cleans were as good if not a little better than his Crate's, its just my metal sound thats awful

thanks for the help so far
Quote by subzero364
Ill definitely try out his guitar on my amp next time. Ive tried using various pickup configurations on my guitar too, it has a 5-way selector, but nothing seems to get the job done quite right.

Also we both agreed that my cleans were as good if not a little better than his Crate's, its just my metal sound thats awful

thanks for the help so far

Again your still using single coils..

Again your using single coils.....

Everything points back to that..... Period...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Again your still using single coils..

Again your using single coils.....

Everything points back to that..... Period...

Seriously, that's it.