Page 1 of 2
my pedalboard is nearing completion; i have my wah> ts808> ds-1> yngwie preamp> digitechDeathMetal> Amp.
all i need is a high gain OD (any recomendations?) a decimator, and possibly a 10 band EQ, but why do i need it? my 3 band amp eq sounds fine really, nice and bluesy even with heavy distortion the nice cranked mids carry through and give that touch of blues and full to my playing, so why do i "need" a 10 band EQ?
a separate EQ pedal helps refine your sound so much more. Think of the 3 band on your amp as a childrens version of a novel. a 10 band eq is the like the real version. You can tweak it to your liking.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
What is the amp?

Do you need 3 different kinds of distortion?

An EQ pedal is often used for changing the EQ during a song - boosting the mids for a solo etc - or for changing it between songs without having to change the amp.
You'd actually be surprised at how much EQ really impacts the sound. I used to think that 3 bands was enough. Then I really started to learn to tweak a 10 band EQ and realized how much it really impacted the sound.

It's like having a Swiss army knife with 3 blades and one with 10. You can do the same stuff with the 3 bladed knife, but the 10 blade is easier because its much more versatile and you can do much more with it.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Despite what UG may have you believe, you do not need an EQ.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
my EQ works miracles. I just leave it on all the time.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Dean Cemetery Gates Rzrbck
Marshall MG250 (screw you guys everyone i kno loves this amp)
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ (black, not blue)
yeah i just use my 3 band on my amp sounds fine
i'm not gonna fork out 100+ dollars for a redundant EQ
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
"The last real man in showbiz"
why do you need 4 distortions? you have a TS, a DS1, a sh*t death metal and an Yngwie Pedal? do you altually use them all?

on topic: try a fish and chips. It's so cheap that if you feel like not needing it, you wont be like "damn i could have bought X thing with this money". you just take it away. Also, it has 7 bands, so either way, it's a step up.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by blue_strat
What is the amp?

Do you need 3 different kinds of distortion?

An EQ pedal is often used for changing the EQ during a song - boosting the mids for a solo etc - or for changing it between songs without having to change the amp.

i only have 2 kinds of distortion, and yes, they are different styles and sounds

Quote by Roc8995
I'm afraid to ask, but what amp is it?

peavey valveking 212, why are you afraid to ask?

Quote by ldnovelo
why do you need 4 distortions? you have a TS, a DS1, a sh*t death metal and an Yngwie Pedal? do you altually use them all?

i have TWO distortions, god, the TS808 provide blues, yngwei for rock and neo-classical, and 2 distortions one is much higher gain and more... well... br00t4l
thus leaving a spot for high gain OD
Last edited by lifesuckstomuch at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
i only have 2 kinds of distortion, and yes, they are different styles and soundsl

overdrives could be considered distortions. in that case you have 4 (TS, YM, DS1, DM)
i have TWO distortions, god, the TS808 provide blues, yngwei for rock and neo-classical, and 2 distortions one is much higher gain and more... well... br00t4l
you can use the 808 for neoclassical too. you dont have to buy a Zakk wylde wah for playing metal and a clyde mccoy for doing blues. it's stupid.
Having the DS1 and the Death metal is understandable, but i dont tink you need 2 ODs. The TS808 is an excelent boost for your neoclassical/shred/blues/leads. It's not made to play just blues, and the YM is not made to pay just shred.
I dont wanna keep arguing. in the end, it's your tone. you could take our advice or not, try to take something out, or keep it. I wont change your tone tastes by a simple post on a small forum.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by ldnovelo
overdrives could be considered distortions. in that case you have 4 (TS, YM, DS1, DM)

but they are not, overdrives over drive the tubes for more gain, distortions actually distort the signal, thus the name
It depends. Some people use the EQ for a boost for several song parts, other people modify their entire sound and leave the EQ on forever.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
I have a fish n chips, and it works so well... I'd reccomend picking up an EQ.. i want a 10 band however.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Carrionshine
I have a fish n chips, and it works so well... I'd reccomend picking up an EQ.. i want a 10 band however.

but why?
what's the point if i sound good with just the amp EQ?
Considering you have a VK, I'd say yes, you need an EQ. My M-108 vastly improves the shaping options and really is helpful in refining the tone to be precisely what you want.

And it's not really a case of 10 bands vs. 3, because the Bass Middle Treble controls on the amp don't just control one frequency, they control a range. That, and the amp's EQ is passive, so there's no real way to boost what the amp already puts out without an EQ.

Believe me, the difference between the EQ on and off will shock and awe you. You might think you sound good now, but once you go with the EQ you'll never go back. And yes, every band affects how the amp sounds (except the lowest bass one, really).

However, I'm not saying the M-108 is a must for every amp. It certainly is for the VK, however.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 9, 2009,
You just answered your own question there, TS.
EDIT: Rajouita, your 10-band EQ also controls a frequency range, so it works exactly the same way as an amp's EQ. It's not magic.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Last edited by Dr.Pain-MD at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
EDIT: Rajouita, your 10-band EQ also controls a frequency range, so it works exactly the same way as an amp's EQ. It's not magic.

yup
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
"The last real man in showbiz"
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
but why?
what's the point if i sound good with just the amp EQ?

you sound good with simple tone shaping controls. You COULD sound better with better tone shaping controls, or you could get more confused and sound worse. some people say it makes no difference and some say it's a necesity. It's just another effect, you have to try it and decide for yourself. That's why i reccomend the cheap dano fish and chips, because you dont know if you will end up liking if or not
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

My main point was that an EQ is very beneficial to the VK's lead channel.

That, and you can't fine-tune with an amp's bass-mid-treble controls like you can with an EQ.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I havent felt the need for an EQ really. If an amp doesn't sound amazing with everything at noon, its not a huge selling point. My settings are vol noon, all EQ noon, and gain varies on genre.

Using one as a solo boost would be cool though.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
if it aint broke dont fix it. if you cant think of a reason to have it (like a problem with your tone you want to fix or a certain tone that a pedal can help you get that you cant get good enough with what you have) than you dont need it. this sounds like a case of G.A.S. dont worry we all get it but just use your senses and fight it if you can and save your money. i have a seven band that i gassed about a year ago and i found it to be usefull but tedious to find the right setting so i usually dont use it any more and dont really miss it being in my signal chain. in my experience with eqs, it seems to me that youre using it to fight the nature of your guitar/signal or your amp/effects. if you like your sound and dont ever feel like you need more scoop or want to fine tune the harmonic overtones or attack or whatever than an eq might just complicate things. id recommend trying one out for yourself. its the kind of effect that takes some usage to fully understand with your ears what you can do with it. you might love it but if youre already satisfied with the tone you get it might just complicate things for you.
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
but they are not, overdrives over drive the tubes for more gain, distortions actually distort the signal, thus the name

If you've got the gain on 0 and the volume up to boost a clean signal to the amp, then yes; but then with the same settings a distortion pedal would do that too.

Both pedals distort the sound - it's up to the overdrive to try and make its distortion sound like a valve amp that's having it's valves overdriven into distortion.
Quote by blue_strat
If you've got the gain on 0 and the volume up to boost a clean signal to the amp, then yes; but then with the same settings a distortion pedal would do that too.

Both pedals distort the sound - it's up to the overdrive to try and make its distortion sound like a valve amp that's having it's valves overdriven into distortion.

great. you helped me. you're awesome
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by blue_strat
If you've got the gain on 0 and the volume up to boost a clean signal to the amp, then yes;

that's what i do lol
i use my clean setting for all my effects. the lead channel i use for either bluesy stuff i cant get with the ts808 or like an early metallica sound (like no mids)
Last edited by lifesuckstomuch at Jul 9, 2009,
If you want more of you're amp's colour of overdrive than adding the TS808's midrange boost etc, you could get a clean boost pedal like a Carl Martin Hydra Boost.
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Wrong. Overdrive pedals simulate the sound of an overdriven tube. They don't "overdrive the tubes for more gain". Thats just a common myth on UG.

Overdrive pedals are just a lower gain version of distortion pedals.
Quote by black_waterpark
Wrong. Overdrive pedals simulate the sound of an overdriven tube. They don't "overdrive the tubes for more gain". Thats just a common myth on UG.

Correct.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by black_waterpark

this isn't about the pedals its about an eq
Quote by ldnovelo
you sound good with simple tone shaping controls. You COULD sound better with better tone shaping controls, or you could get more confused and sound worse. some people say it makes no difference and some say it's a necesity. It's just another effect, you have to try it and decide for yourself. That's why i reccomend the cheap dano fish and chips, because you dont know if you will end up liking if or not

This, the Fish and Chips is an excellent EQ, I picked one up at my local music shop for 20 bucks new, I personally loved it, it helped me further shape my preferred tone into my dream tone.

Blackstar amps say their amps help you get closer to that sound in your head, I say that an EQ pedal gets you to that sound in your head.

Again, this all based on my personal experience, to each his own, you know?
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by black_waterpark

This

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

And this.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Last edited by Greenwood991 at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
???

im leaning towards "no" right now

look, you can go spending oodles on stuff if you want, but there is a point of diminished returns. consider a speaker swap. i like VKs. dunno why everyone flames them. they are decent versatile tube amps...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
this isn't about the pedals its about an eq
I was just pointing it out.

Besides, I already stated my opinion. You don't need an EQ, and you should not get a 10-band.
I say try one out if you can. For me and most others who own/have owned Valvekings, an EQ really is beneficial to the tone. don't see why everyone's getting so worked up over this EQ issue. You'd think the MXR M-108 went to everyone's house and kicked their dogs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
alright,
final decision: if i see an eq (fish and chips) for realy cheap (like 20 bucks) i'll pick it up, if not, meh
Page 1 of 2