I'm thinking of buying my first bass, and someone here at UG suggested I check out SX.

I really like the look of a P-bass, and I like how some Squier P-basses have the J pickup in it as well.

So I found this bass:

For me, the guitar will cost $120 shipped. Also, SX guitars have a lifetime warranty.

The way I see it, I can't buy a Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass or even a Squier P-Bass Special for that price, even used. And so far, I've heard from several sources that they rival the MIM Fender basses

Anyway, this would be my first bass, so I'm not looking to spend a fortune. But at the same time, I'd like a quality instrument that's going to sound decent and last a long time. I really think the SX is it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

P.S. - Any good retailers besides Rondo Music? How about discounts/free shipping at Rondo Music?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
IMO the only SX's that rival MIM Fenders are the LTD series, which cost about $180. One of those could last you a while, but they only come in Jazz Bass variants.

I think rondo music is the only retailer of SX basses unless you buy used from eBay

and for more info searchbar rondo music
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by freedomdeceptiv
DONT BUY IT! i made that mistake when i started playing.

Why?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
SXs are really good for an upgrade bass, but stock theyre not the greatest... youd be better off with a cheaper ibanez or squier if youre new to bass, at least in my opinion
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
^ SXs make great first basses for just that reason. Most cheap Ibanez and Squier basses use bad wood, so even with everything else upgraded the best you can get tone wise is "ok I guess." SXs use good wood but bad electronics, but those are really easy to fix. In other words, you buy it for cheap now, then once you get sick of the tone, upgrade. You'll end up with something rivaling a MIJ, for a fraction of the price.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
^ SXs make great first basses for just that reason. Most cheap Ibanez and Squier basses use bad wood, so even with everything else upgraded the best you can get tone wise is "ok I guess." SXs use good wood but bad electronics, but those are really easy to fix. In other words, you buy it for cheap now, then once you get sick of the tone, upgrade. You'll end up with something rivaling a MIJ, for a fraction of the price.

+1 to this, also, it looks sexy as hell
SX's can be excellent, just make sure you give it a setup & change the strings as son as you get it.

And if there's anything wrong with it just send it back for a replacement, due to the warranty.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by kugelspot

Quote by ub3r_bassist666
SX's can be excellent, just make sure you give it a setup & change the strings as soon as you get it.

And if there's anything wrong with it just send it back for a replacement, due to the warranty.

I like the way you think; thanks for the input.

I'll wait til I get my paycheck then maybe I'll pick one up. Does rondomusic.com ever have any discounts/special offers?
Quote by Mr. Saturn
As long as its not plywood, the tonewood used doesnt make a much of a difference...

But thats the point. They don't use plywood or any other low quality woods like agathis or basswood (actually, basswood isn't bad, just inconstant. There's a big difference between a good piece and a bad piece)
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I have one.The standard series. I just got it to record bass lines and it seems pretty good. The pups are quiet and the controls are good with lots of tones. The neck isn't great but I'm not really a bass player. It stays in tune good and seemed like a good deal for less that $200.
Quote by Mr. Saturn
As long as its not plywood, the tonewood used doesnt make a much of a difference...

That is horrible advice tone woods make a pretty big difference, especially when comparing cheap wood to expensive and different kinds of woods.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Don't do it! I bought an SX, one of the 180$ ones because I thought I'd get the best of the cheapies. It wasn't great, to say the least; paint chipped as soon as I attempted to change the neck for a mighty might (small chance of being my fault), but still the overall craftsmanship doesn't seem great to me. The tone seemed very thin, maybe in part to the strings being extremely thin that came on it. I would really prefer a squier in general over the SX basses.
Quote by d K A p S
Don't do it! I bought an SX, one of the 180$ ones because I thought I'd get the best of the cheapies. It wasn't great, to say the least; paint chipped as soon as I attempted to change the neck for a mighty might (small chance of being my fault), but still the overall craftsmanship doesn't seem great to me. The tone seemed very thin, maybe in part to the strings being extremely thin that came on it. I would really prefer a squier in general over the SX basses.

Well, the craftsmanship seems a recurring problem on the guitar, and it was also suggested to change the strings when you get it.

The thing is though, I can't get a Squier P-Bass Special (the equivalent to the SX SPJ-62, IMO) for $100, even used. A new Squier P-Bass Special would cost you around $300 new. I mean, I think the Squier is overpriced, but to save $200 there are going to be some differences in the guitar.

But personally, I'd rather have a cosmetically-flawed (sometimes) bass that's inexpensive and plays good than have a nicer one that's much more expensive. Plus, a less expensive bass means more $$$ for a bass amp

I love my SX. It is my third bass, I've only been playing a year and a half but I think it really is the best bass for me. There are some cheap parts on it but overall, I think it is the best $120 I've spent on music gear ever.
Id get it. For a first bass your not going to need very much, and with that price you wont be out much at all if you dont like it. And when your ready to upgrade you can just buy new electronics and hardware instead of a whole new bass. All in all, its a great first.

btw, like your avatar
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat