I have an alexi 200 but the humbucker doesnt do it for me. I want to replace it with something that brings out good distortion, clarity and low feedback. Any recommendations?
Duncan Distortion.
Dimarzio Super 3/ Super Distortion
Lots of Dimarzios.
Duncan Custom.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
dimarzio evolutions/d sonic/super distortion, seymour duncan blackouts/59, emg 81/85/89/60/x, countless others
I would have to differ with everyone in this thread so far... Seymour Duncan Invaders.
Blackouts. /thread
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
Wilde L500XL
Not the hottest but great tone and definition at a budget price.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Blackouts
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
what about an EMG 81?
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by False_God
are you sure its your pick up and not your amp/set up?

+1
I'm surprised no one else has said this, but:

What amp do you have?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
+1
I'm surprised no one else has said this, but:

What amp do you have?

+1
Quote by hendrixftw
what about an EMG 81?

Took 11 posts for someone to mention the ultimate metal pickup

ultimate guitar forum = NGD spam
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Again, what amp do you have? The amp makes much more of a difference in sound "punch" and general quality than the guitar.

I'd recommend an EMG 81 if it wasn't for the fact that your guitar doesn't have a battery cavity. So, DiMarzio D Sonic, Duncan Invader or something along those lines.
Quote by Arzei
Again, what amp do you have? The amp makes much more of a difference in sound "punch" and general quality than the guitar.

I'd recommend an EMG 81 if it wasn't for the fact that your guitar doesn't have a battery cavity. So, DiMarzio D Sonic, Duncan Invader or something along those lines.

Blackout's>EmG81, they have less noise, sound more organic and the cleans are clean.

most guitars have plenty of room in the pot compartment for 1-2 9v batteries.
Quote by DimeLvR
Blackout's>EmG81, they have less noise, sound more organic and the cleans are clean.

Hey whilst I don't disagree I just wanted to give the guy all options - besides EMG's are a bit more common and easier to obtain the blackouts.
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by DimeLvR

I wouldn't know, I know next to nothing about Duncan pickups. Might have to look into this, though.
Quote by Arzei
I wouldn't know, I know next to nothing about Duncan pickups. Might have to look into this, though.

I have heard this - SD make some really good stuff

Apparently EMG's have ****ty cleans - Basically theyre great for metal and nothing else

Only problem is SD's are more expensive and can be harder to install...
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by hendrixftw
Hey whilst I don't disagree I just wanted to give the guy all options - besides EMG's are a bit more common and easier to obtain the blackouts.

The sound is going to be 90% amp regardless its just when you start playing on Higher end amps you will really start to hear a difference. Blackouts are more versatile than the EMGs He may be looking for a metal PU and a EMG81 would suit it, but someday he may want to expand his knowledge and try other styles. Like me for instance I first started playing to play Metal, then as I matured I realized it can only get me so far so I got more into blues, jazz, classical though im still a metal head for the most part knowing those other styles opened the door for so many more ideas.
Quote by hendrixftw
I have heard this - SD make some really good stuff

Apparently EMG's have ****ty cleans - Basically theyre great for metal and nothing else

Only problem is SD's are more expensive and can be harder to install...

The EMG 60 has pretty nice cleans to my experience, but the others are crap, yeah.

I probably won't get any more EMGs from this point on. I like the sound of my EX-400, but I'll go with DiMarzio in my next guitar. I was thinking Petrucci-style, so DP227 and DP207. That should sound quite nice.
Quote by hendrixftw
what about an EMG 81?

I have an 81 in my Explorer and Blackouts in my Agile. Trust me, the Blackout KILLS the EMG in every conceivable way.
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
i play through a carvin all-tube half stack in my band. the stack is not here so i am unable to give the name of the product. i also play through a marshall avt100 combo.
Quote by Gego
BKP Warpig?

+1
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by rendezvoodoo
i play through a carvin all-tube half stack in my band. the stack is not here so i am unable to give the name of the product. i also play through a marshall avt100 combo.

how much can you spend on the pickup?
Quote by Gego
BKP Warpig?

I prefer the BKP Miracle Man.

Before that... what amp?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Blackouts kick the crap out of EMG 81's. It's not even close. But as long as you don't have a decent amp it won't matter what you have.
^ WRONG! I like the cleans on EMG's like I like Someone crushing my nuts with a hammer. I dont.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

There's really a crap ton of options out there, so it really depends on what exactly you're after. Carvin makes good stuff, so the amp shouldn't be the problem. EMG's are fairly standard in metal, with Blackouts becoming a popular alternative for active pickups. I personally, don't really like active pickups, but you might. They offer crap tons of output and clarity for sure, but they have a different tone to them than a passive, and over time, you might decide you prefer one over the other.

In the passive realm, higher output pickups tend to have more bass and mids than highs, but usually with any pickup, you're going to need to adjust your amp settings to suit the guitar/pickup anyway, so bear that in mind if a new pickup is not quite sounding the way you hope for it to when you first plug in and try it (ie: If it sounds muddy, try cutting bass and some mids on the amp, and boost the treble). For passives, DiMarzio have a lot of good high output options. D-sonic, Super Distortion, Evo's, D-activators, and I personally like the Tone Zone, which I have in a strat.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff