Page 1 of 2
What are some of your favorite sad chord progressions?
Last edited by TheHowling at Jul 9, 2009,
Em, C, D7, Bm/G, C, Am/F#, B7.

E|--0----3----2----2----0----0-----2--------|
B|--0----5----3----3----1----1-----4--------|
G|--0----5----5----4----0----2-----2--------|
D|--2----5----0----0----2----2-----4--------|
A|--2----3--------------3----0-----2--------|
E|--0--------------3---------2--------------|

The one Dime uses for the end of "Floods"
Magnum - Lead Guitar/Vocals ...Feeling Lucky?

Quote by pilgrimevan

...actually my favorite riff came out of getting a handjob.
Last edited by EL1XER at Jul 9, 2009,
D Minor is the saddest key of all.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Anything in the key of Dm. It's the saddest key of all.

And I'm just warning you now... The Musician Talk regulars are going to hammer you on how no chord progression is inherently "sad" and how that's just how we were brought up to view it, and how if we'd associated minor chords with happiness at a young age, we'd have an opposite viewpoint than what the norm is, etc, etc.

And please excuse the rambling as I'm very tired and don't really know what I'm talking about anymore.

EDIT to the guy who posted above me: FUUUUUUUUU-

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by eric12321
Em, C, D7, Bm/G, C, Am/F#, B7.

E|--0----3----2----2----0----0-----2--------|
B|--0----5----3----3----1----1-----4--------|
G|--0----5----5----4----0----2-----2--------|
D|--2----5----0----0----2----2-----4--------|
A|--2----3--------------3----0-----2--------|
E|--0--------------3---------2--------------|

i REALLY like that, like, you have no idea haha
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
You don't seem to understand what chord progressions are or how they work, or you wouldn't asked such a, frankly, moronic question.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Perhaps he's asking for our opinions regarding which chord progressions we find the 'saddest' sounding.

What's the problem?
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
he likes tormenting young novices
Schecter Damien FR
Boss GE-7 EQ
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by ramm_ty
Perhaps he's asking for our opinions regarding which chord progressions we find the 'saddest' sounding.

What's the problem?

The problem is that not only does he not seem to understand what "subjective" means, the chord progression is next to irrelevant in determining the sound of a piece of music. It's almost as stupid as asking "what kind of paper will make the saddest painting?".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
it sounds amazing on strings *used guitar pro to play it* its simple, but very... i unno, its awesome xD
Schecter Damien FR
Boss GE-7 EQ
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Archeo Avis
the chord progression is next to irrelevant in determining the sound of a piece of music.

~what the hell kind of brain fart did that idea based come from???
Si
Why does everyone regurgitate this "D minor is the saddest key" business? That was the personal opinion of some random dude like 200 years ago, and now everyone repeats it. Get your own opinion.

I don't think asking for "sad sounding progressions" is such a stupid question though. Yes it's subjective, but the question was about the one's "you know". What's the problem with sharing that information? Calling TS a moron is uncalled for.
Instead of expressing comic disbelief at Archeo's idea, why don't you test the theory?

I've had a chord progression lying around for a few weeks that I considered very melancholy in sound, but yesterday when I put a melody over the chord progression (using some fairly sad lyrics the bassist in the band I'm in had written)...suddenly the whole thing sounds more like soft jazz.

I've noticed this kind of thing happening before and I've even scrapped melodies that I've written because I felt that although they sounded good, they 'ruined' the sound I'd established with the underlying chord progression.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
it all depends how you phrase the chords. listen to Hurt - johnny cash. that is just Am C D an sounds very sad. now try playing though chords as upstroke ska style and they don't sad sad at all.

i do like eric12321's progression
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
G - D - Am.

It can sound both ecstatically happy and depressingly sad, depending on tempo, articulation, phrasing, timbre, rhythm etc. etc.

Chord progressions play a very small part in whether something sounds happy or sad.

That said, I see no reason why we can't post progressions we deem sad when played in a sad way - after all, if that's what the TS is looking for, then he'll play the progression in what he considers a sad way... if that makes sense.
Quote by doive
it all depends how you phrase the chords. listen to Hurt - johnny cash. that is just Am C D an sounds very sad. now try playing though chords as upstroke ska style and they don't sad sad at all.

Damn straight - and when Cash's voice comes in, it gets even sadder. If you sung even the same vocal melody, though, over the same chords, but with a much more exurberant vocal style and tone (and some different lyrics), you'd instantly make the song sound much less sad, without even changing any of the notes. If you actually changed the notes in the melody I'm sure you could make it a very happy-sounding song, more so if you change how you played the chords, like you said.

Another example - I was improvising over something using Em pentatonic, playing phrases as fast and bluesy as I could, then I gradually morphed the jam into a set of much slower phrases using the full Em scale - underlying progression didn't change, the tone of the guitars didn't change, all that changed was the notes I was using (even this didn't change too much - I just started using C and F# a bit) and how I was phrasing them, but to anyone listening, the first and second halves of the jam would sound extremely different - one would sound like fast electric blues and the other like a slow, melodramatic ballad. Same progression.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Archeo has a tendency to exaggerate his points of view, but if you look through those exaggerations, he's usually right.

And what's wrong with Indian music?
Quote by michal23

And what's wrong with Indian music?

Nothing, but it doesn't have chord progressions.

Unless you're talking about that Indian pop stuff. Something VERY wrong with that
i-vii-vi in a minor key
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Beserker
Nothing, but it doesn't have chord progressions.

Unless you're talking about that Indian pop stuff. Something VERY wrong with that

Indian Pop = *shudder*

Sorry, the way you phrased it I thought you were trying to imply it's inferior or something. My bad.
Quote by Beserker
Why does everyone regurgitate this "D minor is the saddest key" business?

It's a joke from the movie Spinal Tap
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
It's a joke from the movie Spinal Tap

I'm sure it is, but it is also a widespread belief. Possibly in the days before equal temperament, it was true that each key had its own distinct kind of 'mood'. I've seen something some composer wrote a long time ago on this subject, saying that D minor was the saddest. Can't find it now though.
I didn't say that. I said Possibly in the days before equal temperament, it was true that each key had its own distinct kind of 'mood'. Try reading the f*cking post before you call me incredibly stupid.
Quote by Beserker
before you call me incredibly stupid.

Well, to be fair, you didn't know the Spinal Tap joke....
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by doive
...listen to Hurt - johnny cash....

Smashes doive's head against a brick wall

Anyway... I think a lot of it is how we think of certain chords really. Sad chords we can all agree on, but the saddest, that's personal opinion. Personally I think the bass part during the piano outro in Nine Inch Nails' "We're In This Together" is one of the saddest progressions ever written, but that's in the context of the song and how I view it, and also it's just single notes so isn't a chord progression per se
A few sad songs:

Brick - Ben Folds Five
Lost Cause - Beck
Dying Song - John Frusciante
Same Old Blues - Freddie King
Idioteque - Radiohead
Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis - Tom Waits
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
...saying that any key is anything is incredibly stupid.

Quote by Beserker
I didn't say that.

= I didn't call you stupid.
Quote by Erasmo.Tiruri
Idioteque - Radiohead

I don't find Idioteque sad at all. A good example of subjectivity. If that's a word
Nothing is inherently sad, only what we percieve as sad, which changes from person to person.

/thread
XD at the responses to AA's post, WTF is up with dumb people. Anyways. And where does this D Minor = Saddest key, crap come from? Is it because alot of sad stuff has been in D Minor? Or what? I honestly don't know W(here)TF this idea came from.

Also, TC, the melody, phrasing and possibly lyrics have more effect onthe mood then any chord progression. Though there are some progressions that generally sound sad to most western ears, as they have been taught as sad progressions through most of our childhood. And a better question would've been "what chord progs. sound sad to you?" Because then you're asking for opinions, instead of asking for facts that do not exist as you have...

Edit: Oh yeah, the D Minor thing came from Spinal Tap >_> I knew this

<_<
Last edited by MadAudioMan at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by 20Tigers

~what the hell kind of brain fart did that idea based come from???
Quote by RCalisto
LOL that was so funny dude!

wait.. that WAS supposed to be a JOKE right?
Two people who have never heard of the concept of a melody or of subjectivity
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 9, 2009,
Page 1 of 2