For the past 3 weeks or so I've been messing with my tone to try to get something i like. I'm shooting for a very good low end rhythm and also a screaming lead. I'm mostly into metal and with the gear i have it should be enough.

My Gear:
Schecter Damien 7 string with EMG HZ's / Ibanez GRG170DX with seymour duncan blackouts.
Randall RX120RH with a spring reverb
BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
DigiTech GNX3 Effects Processor

I've mainly been turning off the amp modeling and stompboxes on the GNX because i want the randall's true tone and just using the metal zone for all of my distortion and using the GNX for effects. However when i use my 7-string, the distortion i get just doesn't sound right. it sounds weak and very trebley, which shouldn't happen with the EMG's. When i play with my ibanez with the blackouts, it sounds very good, Great low end, screaming highs, just all around better. But i feel guilty because i want the 7 string to sound good sooo bad. I thought it was the order i put the effects in. I've tried about everything. Gnx into the FX loop and MT-2 through the input. Mt-2 before GNX, Mt-2 After, either way, its just not what i want. Any Suggestions?
The only advice i can give you is just to play around with your EQ. You could Take the EQ settings of when you ibanez is plugged in and just increase the mid and low in small incraments until you find a sound you like better.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
I figured the problem was in the pickups, It almost sounds like it has a dead coil. I would check but i really have no idea what to look for.
get blackouts and put them on your 7 string
My Gear (prepare to be amazed)

Squire Affinity Strat HSS

Yamaha FD02

Fender Bullet 150 DSP amp
This doesn't make sense to me:

I've mainly been turning off the amp modeling and stompboxes on the GNX because i want the randall's true tone and just using the metal zone for all of my distortion and using the GNX for effects.
Your Metal Zone pedal is essentially doing the same thing as the amp modeling on your GNX (minus the cab/mic/room simulation). If you want the "true tone" of the Randall, you should be using its internal gain circuitry for most of your distortion. Try that and see if your 7-string sounds better.

For what it's worth, my 7-string never sounded right when I used my Line 6 POD 2.0 as a tone-shaping front-end for my half stack, but I when I plugged the guitar directly into my stack it sounded great. I think a lot of the devices that act like pre-amps (your Metal Zone pedal and the GNX pedal included) for some reason don't handle the lows on 7-strings very well. If this is what's happening, putting different pickups on your 7-string isn't going to help.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
from what i've heard the EMG HZ's are pretty disappointing, i've tested a lot of guitars with them and they never impressed me. If you can afford some more Black Outs go for it otherwise EMG 81/85 would be great too
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 9, 2009,
yeah HZ's are the passive EMG's and they dont sound unique or anything
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
Quote by Cricker

I've mainly been turning off the amp modeling and stompboxes on the GNX because i want the randall's true tone and just using the metal zone for all of my distortion and using the GNX for effects. However when i use my 7-string, the distortion i get just doesn't sound right. it sounds weak and very trebley, which shouldn't happen with the EMG's. When i play with my ibanez with the blackouts, it sounds very good, Great low end, screaming highs, just all around better. But i feel guilty because i want the 7 string to sound good sooo bad. I thought it was the order i put the effects in. I've tried about everything. Gnx into the FX loop and MT-2 through the input. Mt-2 before GNX, Mt-2 After, either way, its just not what i want. Any Suggestions?

Alright, this doesn't make sense.

You want the true randall tone but you are putting a POS metal pedal in front of it? And the Metalzone is very trebly (Think shattering glass and angry bees in a tin can) so that could be causing your trebly sound.

My advice. Plug straight into the amp and EQ from there. Ditch that pedal because it's trash. Maybe look into getting an EHX metal muff. Lots of low end and way better than the metalzone imo.
No prob. lol. I was like, huh I've never heard of that model boss pedal haha.

But yeah, TS, go directly into the amp and see how that affects your tone first.
Comparing the tone of the HZs and blackouts is a bit tough as 1 set is active and the other isnt. Not gonna find many on UG that think much of the passive EMGs. You will have to mess with the EQ settings between the 2 guitars. Maybe use the GNX3 in the loop just for FX. And definately try your set up with out the metal zone. The randall should have plenty of gain on its own.
Weird, for whatever reason when i ran the amp or cab modeling through the randall, it sounded like someone wrapped the amp in a blanket i guess. No matter how much i changed the EQ it always sounded that way. Also, i like the metal zone considering i'm on a budget
It's not weird at all. Amp/cab/mic modeling is really intended for direct recording, or playing through headphones, a P.A. or other "neutral" systems. When you run the output of your modeler into your amp, you're essentially putting a preamp in series with your Randall head's pre-amp and power stage, which changes the sound significantly. The cabinet colors the sound even more, so what you hear is a jumbled, over-processed mess. My Line 6 POD X3 includes the option to turn off the cab/mic/room simulation for feeding a guitar amp, but even then there is still the problem of the amplifier "over-processing" the sound. For this reason, you really need to make separate patches for direct sound and for feeding an amp, and there's no guarantee that you'll ever get a good sound using the modeler in front of your amp.

If you like the sound you get from the Metal Zone, then why did you create this thread in the first place? And why would you say that you want the "true tone" of the Randall, yet insist on using the cheap pedal? Have you TRIED just using the distortion of the amp head itself?
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
Of course I've tried just the head's distortion, I really like it's distortion but it isn't strong enough for the types of music i play. I understand that the metal zone shapes the tone and it isn't the "true randall sound." What i meant by that is i like the way the randall sounds when i add distortion to it. What i was asking was if i should buy new pickups or a new guitar altogether and avoid 7 strings. should i have bought an amp that produced enough distortion by itself? probably, but within my price range, the only thing i could find were modeling amps which i gave up on after the vypyr.