Page 1 of 2
Hey, I posted a while back about a Fender, then about a Martin... then a Seagull. I still haven't found the 'right' one though... I want a good, quality, acoustic guitar. My price range is already stated.... though I'd prefer the higher end of that range. I've been looking at Martins, Taylors, Seagulls, S & P, L'arivee, A & T and still haven't found the right one.

Criteria:
-Acoustic
-no High-Gloss
-no cutaway
-access to 14 frets (preferabley)
-solid top AND sides
-Powerful lows, with nice clear sustaining highs
-Within the range I posted (plus or minus a few hundred)
-I mostly do finger style lately

That's about it.... anyways, are there any guitars, or even brands you'd reccomend?

p.s. Hadf to change price range... a little off
I never have difficulty 'performing' it right away with whistles, hums, 'grunts' and percussion.
Last edited by Ganphra at Jul 9, 2009,
Have you tried Taylor GC8? I tried a used one at my local GC (priced at $1600,retail $2200) and i am a fingerpickerer and i fell in love with it..
Larrivee L03 or OM03 would be very good for your style. I love the L body size as it almost gives a classical guitar feel while seated. Try them out and what you like. I don't like their OM as much but it is still pretty nice.
Do you have a preference of tonewoods?

I'd check out some Breedloves. I've fallen in love with those guitars.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'll take a look at all those... the Larrivee ones look great, good price range too!!

Keep 'em coming Please

Thanks

edit: I don't know all that much about woods... though I did say, rather loosely, what I prefer in sound in my original post.
I never have difficulty 'performing' it right away with whistles, hums, 'grunts' and percussion.
Also, another preference is that I don't like 'flashy' guitars. Like I said, no high gloss... but also no crazy inlays or messed up saddles. I'm sure the breedloves play fine... but... no offense to those who play 'em.... I'd personally feel like a tool playing one. The saddles are ugly as hell... and the inlays make it look like I'm playing a decoration. Thanks for the suggestion though!! I just wasn't specific enough :P
if you want a plain-jane look, try Martin 000-15.

solid mahogony construction, i believe a guy did a AOTM on it. check it out
Quote by Ganphra
I'd personally feel like a tool playing one.

I don't think Mark Knopfler or Ed Gerhard ever though that.

Here's two Breedloves that you might like to look at:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Breedlove-Roots-Series-OMSR-Herringbone-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=513481#new
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Breedlove-Roots-Series-DSR-Herringbone-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=513482#new
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
The Breedlove root series looks great! Same with the Martin MMV and 000-15!

Baby Joel:" don't think Mark Knopfler or Ed Gerhard ever though that."
That's hardly the goddamn argument now is it? Should I just stop giving people my opinions altogether? Honestly, I CLEARLY F***ING STATED that I mean no offence to others who play it, and will not in the least judge them... but that I PERSONALLY in MY OWN MIND feel like a complete tool playing an instrument where emphasis is put on looks... because in MY OPINION guitars that are flashy are pointless and for me remove how significant the guitar player is, compared to the guitar. So the roll of the eyes and snobby comment is a completely stupid waste of a post. Though I thank you greatly for the suggestions... I'll definately look at the breedlove ROOT series... as they are visually bland

OPINIONS OPINIONS OPINIONS!!
DBZ Acoustics sound awesome especially the Veronas

http://www.dbzguitars.com/web/acoustics/
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
HAHAHAHA, love the name DBZ.... but the bridges are a bit funny :P I'll take a look anyways!

Baby Joel.... I don't really know how to say it other than how I just did.
If you want simple looks with great sound what about the higher end Yamaha's or the Epiphone Masterbilt series?
Quote by shredmaster12
DBZ Acoustics sound awesome especially the Veronas

http://www.dbzguitars.com/web/acoustics/

According to the specs they only have solid tops though.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I can't find any good sites online for Blueridge... only ebay and stuff. Also, I've heard fender and epiphone acoustics aren't that great... even in higher end prices.
Anyone got some opinions on guilds? They're a bit high on the price range for me... but might be worth it...
I've heard that Guild makes very nice acoustic guitars...I've never played one, but a friend of mine's dad has one, and he loves it, and his dad was a professional musician for the longest time.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Alright, I'll look into some Guilds then... Actually instead of recommending specific guitars, does anyone have a brand of guitar that carries guitars that match my criteria? Maybe I'll list a few and you can tell me the best ones in my range and criteria

Takamine, Taylor, Fender, Epiphone, Yamaha, Martin, S&P, A&T, Ovation, Ibanez, Alvarez, Guild, Washburn, Maton... just to name a few

So which are a yes, and which are a no?
Quote by Ganphra
Alright, I'll look into some Guilds then... Actually instead of recommending specific guitars, does anyone have a brand of guitar that carries guitars that match my criteria? Maybe I'll list a few and you can tell me the best ones in my range and criteria

Takamine, Taylor, Fender, Epiphone, Yamaha, Martin, S&P, A&T, Ovation(IMO. Ovations are a love em or hate em kinda thing), Ibanez, Alvarez, Guild, Washburn, Maton... just to name a few

So which are a yes, and which are a no?

Green = Yes
Red = No
Blue = Unsure
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Hmm, that blueridge does look good... except that it's a Nylon string. So, although it matches me Criteria I'm a bit unsure, as I already own two classicals. The price is good, I'll have to sleep on it. Thanks for the help!
You're not going to get good 14th fret access on a guitar without a cutaway. What's wrong with a cutaway?

And personally in your price range I'd be looking at low end Lakewoods, Yairi's, ummm maybe the Tanglewood Master series if you can have a play on them. They're the best guitars I've played recently. Astonishingly good. Especially the TSM1 (I think it's called).

You're not going to get a decent Maton or Taylor in your price range really. You can do better with Lakewood. Personally I don't rate Cole Clarks. I'd also be inclined to avoid Martin.

Edit: I also wouldn't go near the Blueridges. Very average guitars in my opinion. Plus Parlour shapes limit your style. You're not going to have any heavy strumming on a parlour.

Edit: It'd have to be a second hand lakewood. Probably worth it though.

Edit again: To be honest though it doesn't seem like you're even that bothered. If your budget is as high as yours is, and you don't have specifics in mind, then you shouldn't be buying one at all.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Jul 10, 2009,
i played a new one recently and fell in love. i suspect there is a gc8 in my future.

Ganphra, you might be missing out on a guitar with great sound and playability by saying no gloss or flash. the gc8 is one of the best sounding, best feeling guitars i've laid my hands on. btw, you might want to consider a gibson - maybe a songwriter or j45? i've seen 'em at gc for the top end of your price range.

Quote by Anathetic
Have you tried Taylor GC8? I tried a used one at my local GC (priced at $1600,retail $2200) and i am a fingerpickerer and i fell in love with it..
The GC8 isn't flashy, I was referring to the breedloves... also what do you mean by
"To be honest though it doesn't seem like you're even that bothered. If your budget is as high as yours is, and you don't have specifics in mind, then you shouldn't be buying one at all."

I do have specifics in mind, and why should I be bothered? Anyways the Taylor GC8, although a great guitar, is a bit out of my price range. If I can find it closer to $1000 then I'll get it...
NEW CRITERIA!

Criteria:
-Acoustic
-solid top AND sides(preferabley)
-For fingerstyle(preferabley)

There, less restricting... gloss isn't an issue anymore, and cutaways are fine...
You don't really have the specifics in mind at all. You've just changed your criteria, and a while ago were considering a nylon-strung classical. If you aren't even sure whether you're going to get a nylon strung or an acoustic then you shouldn't really be looking, IMO.

Plus this whole suggestion thing is always rubbish. If you've got up to $1999 then you should be picking out guitars yourself based on the way you like to play. Go to the biggest guitar shop you know (whith some higher end guitars) start from one end of the rack and play everything there. Do that in about 10 shops and you'll probably find something you really really like.

It's understandable and encouraging for beginners to ask what guitar they should get, but with your budget and experience I'd expect you to know what you want.
Have a look at the Yairi DYM95C. It's got everything you're looking for. Only drawback is the price is a tad higher than your budget by $650. These are truely astonishing guitars and maintain their value quite well.
Quote by Ganphra
NEW CRITERIA!

Criteria:
-Acoustic
-solid top AND sides(preferabley)
-For fingerstyle(preferabley)

There, less restricting... gloss isn't an issue anymore, and cutaways are fine...

I want to know why the sides are so important. The back has more bearing on the tone than the sides.

I stick with Breedlove for fingerstyle. Or Seagull. Forgot about them for a bit. And for the sake of trying, give a Takamine a shot.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
" I want to know why the sides are so important. "

I travel a lot, and if the sides were to swell or warp... unless they are solid wood they won't regain their original shape. Also, you're mistaken... I've not been looking for a classical, I own two already, and I haven't made any posts or threads that would lead you to believe I'm looking for one... so you must be thinking of someone else. Also, where I am there are no guitar centers or anything... we have a tom lee's, Long and McQuade, Sound of Music, and Kings Music. I've been to all of them and tryed all there guitars, none interest me.... so I'm looking online so they can order it in for me.
Right...makes sense. The problem you face here is that the sides are the last thing that will be solid. By saying you want solid top and sides, you're setting yourself up for all-solid because they don't make solid top/sides guitars.

Just thought I'd point that out.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
If the sides are laminate, there will be virtually no warping at all.

I have a few things to say about this thread.
1: If you're willing not to get a guitar because you'll "look like a tool", that's rather foolish. Say the best playing and sounding acoustic guitar in the world could be yours. But it would have a high-gloss finish and Breedlove's bridge design. From what I gather of your posts, you'd pass it down. That's stupid.

2: I don't think you know much of what you should know. If you're willing to spend $2000 on a guitar, you should know what you want it to sound like. You haven't given us any indication of what it should sound like, except for 'Powerful lows, and nice clear sustaining highs". That statement is practically what everyone wants on an acoustic. You've got to be more specific when dealing with that much money. You h aven't even said anything about body size, which plays a huge role in comfort and tone. I personally wouldn't want to spend 2K blindly on a jumbo sized guitar, just because people say it plays and sounds good (I don't like jumbo).

3: Natrone asked if you had a preference of tonewoods. You said you didn't know much about them. Again, when dealing with this much money, you should try to understand as much as you can about what makes an acoustic sound. Also, given that you're so picky about looks, I'd doubt you'd want a highly figured bearclaw spruce top with highly figured myrtlewood on back and sides- even though that would give you the tone you want.

To recap, research, research, and don't be closeminded.

it's all coming back

And in comes Natrone with the acoustic knowledge assist!

A&C FAQ: ALL THE ACOUSTIC KNOWLEDGE YOU COULD EVER POSSIBLY NEED

^
That's a link by the way.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Ganphra
" I want to know why the sides are so important. "

I travel a lot, and if the sides were to swell or warp... unless they are solid wood they won't regain their original shape. Also, you're mistaken... I've not been looking for a classical, I own two already, and I haven't made any posts or threads that would lead you to believe I'm looking for one... so you must be thinking of someone else.

Quote by Ganphra
Hmm, that blueridge does look good... except that it's a Nylon string. So, although it matches me Criteria I'm a bit unsure, as I already own two classicals. The price is good, I'll have to sleep on it. Thanks for the help!

I'd just wait until you physcially find something you like.
Seriously, your picky about your guitars mate. Have a look around & find one you like, not get us to find one for you. It's much easier if you look yourself.
Quote by Ganphra

its not a classical, its a parlor style guitar, its steel string, it just has an open slot head
Hmm, Well... Baby Joel, If I can avoid flashy guitars I will... that's just my preference. If I could get the best sounding acoustic in the world and It was a giant pink dildo I'd still play it, luckily that is not the case Also, my range isn't $2000, it's closer $1299... that's why I edited the title... and I agree with the research, self-knowledge deal... but I jsut wanted a head-start, seeing as I know next to nothing about brands and whatnot.

edit: My bad, just realized the title still says $1999... I edited it to $1499 early on 'cause it was a typo... but I must've not saved it. Sorry for the miscommunications!
Last edited by Ganphra at Jul 11, 2009,
Just making sure. Good to know that you know what you know (or something like that).
Good luck on the search, and make sure that when you actually get the guitar, you post pics.
it's all coming back

Page 1 of 2