hello everybody!

for the first time since i started playing i feel totally motivated to dedicate my life to music (mostly to guitar), so from now on I'll get serious on it, and i think making a list of everything i need to learn / practice would help a lot... and of course, this is the first place that comes to my mind when i ask myself "who could help me with these?"

being more specific, i want to be a great guitarrist improvising, composing and playing, i want to be able to compose whole songs and not just the guitar parts and i'd like to be able to play at least the basics of every genre, but knowing how to play the hardest stuff from rock and metal (even tech death and such)

so thats it, i have the rest of my life to become that

i'd start the list with these stuff:

--get a teacher
--learn theory (at least the basics)
--memorize each note on the fretboard
--learn the major, minor, pentatonic major and minor (wich else? how much should i know about them?)
--learn all major and minor chords
--learn legato
--learn sweep picking
--learn arpeggios
--start a band (what do i need before this?)
--have perfect pitch

what else should i add?

thanks
For writing just start writing, you'll get better with practice. I recommend using Guitar Pro, because it simple to use, you can use a lot of instruments, and you can hear what you're making.

Along with those scales learn modes and the theory behind them.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
You only need to know one thing to be a great guitarist in my mind.

There is always room for improvement.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']You only need to know one thing to be a great guitarist in my mind.

i know, i'll always be adding more stuff to the list and improving everything i already know
You should learn a bit more than major and minor scales. Learn the modes of the major scale, the harmonic minor scale, melodic minor scale, and almost any scale you can get your hands on. The more scales you know, the better you'll be at transforming your ideas into music. Also, you should learn how chords are constructed and how to link them together. In terms of technique, the list you gave is great, but I would also add alternate picking to it. Good luck.
Know when to be the star and when to fade into the background
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Amer91
You should learn a bit more than major and minor scales. Learn the modes of the major scale, the harmonic minor scale, melodic minor scale, and almost any scale you can get your hands on. The more scales you know, the better you'll be at transforming your ideas into music. Also, you should learn how chords are constructed and how to link them together. In terms of technique, the list you gave is great, but I would also add alternate picking to it. Good luck.

great, thanks a lot
what do i need to learn from scales exactly? should i memorize every note in the scale on the fretboard?

and yeah, i'll add alternate picking, i forgot it cause its one of the few things i'm good at lol
Have fun
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
--get a good teacher (who can teach you theory)
--learn theory (at least the basics) as you go along
--learn the major, minor, pentatonic major and minor (wich else? how much should i know about them?) - start with understanding the major scale in terms of notes and intervals, then learn how to harmonise it and how all the other scales are related to it
--USE the scales you learn to improvise and write your own stuff
--learn all major and minor chords and how to construct them. Plus learn how to modify chords - extensions, suspensions, inversions etc
--be able to use those chords you learnt
--learn songs
--develop your ear - transcribe songs
--write your own songs
--learn legato
--learn sweep picking
--learn arpeggios
--learn any other techniques you can
--start a band (what do i need before this?) - you just need other people who play instruments and want to play together
--try and develop good relative pitch followed by perfect pitch
--HAVE FUN

To be honest, if you get yourself a good teacher he should make sure you cover the rest of your list anyway.
Quote by siskoX
great, thanks a lot
what do i need to learn from scales exactly? should i memorize every note in the scale on the fretboard?

and yeah, i'll add alternate picking, i forgot it cause its one of the few things i'm good at lol

That's right, memorize all the notes of the scales, and play them all over the fretboard using different techniques.
Quote by Amer91
That's right, memorize all the notes of the scales, and play them all over the fretboard using different techniques.
and understand them in terms of notes and intervals - and for anything other than the major scale learn how its related to the major scale. Then learn to harmonise them.
Things that separate a great guitarist from a good one?

Knowing how to listen
Knowing when to stop playing
Knowing how to listen
Understanding harmony and how the note you play interacts with everything else.
Knowing how to listen
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by siskoX

(...)
--get a teacher
--learn theory (at least the basics)
--learn the major, minor, pentatonic major and minor (wich else? how much should i know about them?)
--learn all major and minor chords
--learn legato
--learn sweep picking
--learn arpeggios
--start a band (what do i need before this?)
--have perfect pitch

what else should i add?

thanks

DON'T Memorize stuff, try to find relation from one string to another, try do find why things are made like this or like that.(e.g difference between scales).

Memorizing its just a quick fix, music is like math, memorizing it won't help you as much if understand the stuff.

For things to add, -Play With a Metronome
Basic Overview

Personality

Learn to be a team player- this is very helpful if you want to be in a band, you will working together with your band, so you have to learn to get along with them or you will never be successful

Learn to be a role model- I for one see this as very important, I see it everyday people dragging down the reputation of music e.g i could mention ALOT of people from the Pop Genre.

So learn to have a inviting pressence and be nice to your fans and people around you, as this is a great ability to have

Diversity- Be Diverse if you want to be a great guitarist or not even that be a good band, you have to stand out from the crowd don't copy people, make your Music
Great Bands such as below have suceeded this (Listing a few)
Linkin Park ( Evolving throughout their years, their music is very influential to today's generation
Foo Fighters ( They are very diverse and set the bar for Rock Music)
Blink 182 (Using great guitar riffs, awesome drumming and appealing signature vocals made this a great band)

Theory Part

Learn about rhythm- very important
Learn your music background - this helps tremendously, this will expland your knowledge and influence your guitar playing for instance the person I look up to the most is David Gilmour from Pink Floyd and
Learn to hear- A important technique, I am still learning about this but gradually getting there
Learn to read music-(Not tabs, but notation) I really hate learning this hahahaa but its a skill you must have if you want to be in the music buisness. If you don't understand why I will explain tabs only show you what to play, not very helpful at all.
But for notation it shows you what to play, the timing of the notes, as long with the rhythm
Be Dilligent- Practice everyday, don't say I'm gonna skip it for one day, it wont hurt. I have fallen into the natural habitat where I practice up to 2-4hours a day.
Motivation- Youtubing, reading music news, getting more music, finding awesome solos are just one of the few ways to get motivation which you will need if you want to pursue a career in music because at times you will want to give up. Thats where motivation will come into play. =)
Learn about your guitar- Neck, Body, Strings, Bridge, Volume, Tone, Amp, everything etc learn it!

Notes
Learning scales- will help you memorize your fretboard so you should take out memorize fretboard
Also playing throughout the years it becomes natural to you.
Having a teacher- You Don't really need to have one but it sometimes will help, a teacher usually puts you on the right track to learning things and helps you perfect your guitar playing

Practical
Learn Chords- Its important for a guitar player- There are tonssss of chords but learning these off by heart they will help ideally.
E.g Few to start that you might want to learn A,C,G,D,E,EM,AM,DM
Learn Vibrato- Atm Learning the correct way to use vibrato- Helps your lead playing such as soloing =)
Learn Scales- Mentioned Before- Will help your playing ALOT
Learn Bending- bending will improve your lead playing, and be sending your audience into tears
Learn Economy Picking and Alternative picking- Very important- alt picking was hard to grasp at the start but it becomes natural, improves the speed of your playing, economy picking is such as the use of hammer-ons and pull-offs,etc. Making you use less of your hands
Use Pick Hand Correct- Pick betweeen thumb and index finger- just google or research if your not holding pick correctly
Don't Anchor- No Resting your hand on the strings, Kills your playing- and will have to relearn how to pick if you fall into the habit- Your speed decreases
Palm Mute- Fun thing to learn

Thats about it, thats all I can think of atm that I believe is important, im probably forgetting things, but haha there you go hope it helps
Gear:

Yamaha Pacifica 012 (Red)
Vox Pathfinder 10
Zoom Guitar effects pedal G1
Last edited by Midnightblues at Jul 9, 2009,
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']You only need to know one thing to be a great guitarist in my mind.

This is the entirity of everything anyone needs to know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
writing lists doesn't get you anywhere. less time compiling lists more time practicing brah.

though if you must, my top 5 in no order =

phrasing
timing
restraint
dynamics
theory
^^ I agree on the list almost completely, though I put timing on top.

If you play with other musicians, and you play dull phrasing, it will be okey.

If you **** up the timing however, you **** it up for the rest of the band as well.

Rhythm/timing is the most important thing.

It's even so present, that if you play sloppy, but hit all the accents on the right spots, a lot of people wouldn't even notice.

I even see this in some Petrucci runs. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy's playing, but sometimes his fast picking runs go more tremelo, but almost noone notices, because his right hand (picking hand) stays perfectly in rhythm.

This doesn't meant to play sloppy, but I'm just saying, losing the groove is the worst thing, cause groove/timing is something everyone relates too, and is the pinnacle of playing music.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 9, 2009,
Knowing how to practice.
Knowing what to practice.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
How to spell guitarist
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Knowing how to spell guitarist is a plus:p (Soz, just had to do it xD)
Quote by 08L1V10N
How to spell guitarist

i would say make sure your practicing the right things...and when you practicing the right things stay 100% focused

and when i say right things i mean:
Theory
Improvisation
Composition
Chords/Scales
Transcribing/Ear Training
Technique

no particular order of course....but your going to want an organized practice also if you want to improve well
Last edited by TrustMeWhenISay at Jul 10, 2009,
There are all great advices here!!! All of them!. I'm learning now and I'm more focused on the acoustic, but all that I've found here was a great inspiration.

Thanks
Quote by xxdarrenxx
^^ I agree on the list almost completely, though I put timing on top.

for sure bro, if you **** up the timing your sitting there outside the groove by yourself looking like an idiot ;d

that being said, slightly lazy timing on certain phrases has an awesome effect, dragging the beat temporarily for a cool effect..