So so straight to the point. I've trying to learn this on my own, so i don't understand, where are palm mutes used? Are they used on the strings that your currently playing, or do you use your palm to mute the strings that you are currently not playing, to make them not sound? Or is it used for both? Yes, stupid question this is
They are used on strings you are actually playing to give them that kinda stifled heavy sound. I mostly use my fretting hand to block off strings that I'm not actually playing from sounding. Hope this helps and good luck!
Mmh, I use it for both but I think normally you use it for the strings you currenlty play.

For example listen to Paranoid of Black Sabbath, when Ozzy starts to sing the guitarrist plays palm muted background guitar so you can use it to make a change between background and lead guitar.
Palm mutes are basically the when you play the strings but you muffle out the actual sound with the palm, to give it a 'thudd' sound. When you mute strings to totally cancel the sound, thats just regular ass muting.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by MonsterOfRock
Palm mutes are basically the when you play the strings but you muffle out the actual sound with the palm, to give it a 'thudd' sound. When you mute strings to totally cancel the sound, thats just regular ass muting.

I find it easier to use my left hand, but that's just me.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ass muting > palm muting

just saying...

TS just type in "palm muting" into the you tube search, and you'll find a few hundred videos explaining what it is and demonstrating what kind of sound you get when you do it and how to do it.

I can't really think of a genre that doesn't use palm muting from time to time, but it's definitely used a lot in metal to get that nice chugging sound.