Title says it all. Do you think the Epiphone Dot Studio (ES-335 knockoff if you didn't know) would create that real jazz sound. I don't play alot of jazz but I'd like to get into it more and more and I really like the look of it and have a bit of money to burn. (I know that sounds hackish but let's face it an electric guitar is a work of art looks are important). Do you think it can get that real jazz sound like Emily Remler a bit (which sounds alot like Wes Montgomery probably?) from an AD30VT amp. I currently have a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and I can't seem to find that thick warm sound you know. Maybe I have misconceptions about the sound or I'm not trying hard enough with the current guitar. Also I'm a bit concerned that I like a different guitar every 6 or so months, at one stage I was really considering some kind of fender strat (MIM probably, possibly used). Would I be better modding the Yamaha Pacifica? Will the Epiphone Dot Studio sound different to my Yamaha? I would kill myself if I bought it and it sounded the same.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Yeah it's a very good jazz guitars - Hollowbodies were the first electrics designed back in the early-mid 20th century and were used for blues and jazz - Rock wasn't around then. The ES 335 is perfect for jazz.

One of my friends runs one into a peavey and it sounds great -

But a lot of guitars suit jazz fine - even my LP is good for jazz
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
your using a modeling amp they are still going to sound pretty close.

Get a new amp and a Used dot?
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
The dot is not a hollow body but a semihollow that means that it has a wood block in the center of the body which gives it more sustain and a bit different sound than a completely hollow one. That said it all depends what you mean by jazz sound, you won't probably get a full sound as the Wes Montgomery sound or Jim Hall but semihollow bodied guitars are extensively used by jazz players, Kurt Rosenwinkel used live for some time an Epiphone SheratonII which is basically the same as the dot but better "dressed".
the pacifica is a fairly bright guitar so i can see where you are coming from. the dot would work. even a les paul woud give better results. also, try rolling down the tone knob a fair bit on your pacifica using the neck pickup. i personally dont mind the strat for jazz sound but its not really 'proper' in the opinions of some and its quite unorthadox.
Nowadays there's actually nothing wrong with a strat for jazz, unless you're a purist. A decent enough amp with the right EQing and the tone rolled off (not necessarily completely, though) can give a decently warm jazz tone.

But in the TS's case it is more worthwhile to get a Dot instead of upgrading the Pacifica. An LP is also a very viable option. And the Vox will serve you perfectly

EDIT: May I suggest you look into the Ibanez Artcore AS73? They are priced just slightly above the Dots and are usually a huge bang for the buck.
Last edited by Whiskky at Jul 9, 2009,
I tried a few guitars but where I live in Perth your slightly limited and I didn't want to order over the internet (I'm all about instant gratification). So I bought the Epiphone Dot Studio and I'm happy with the choice. It may not get the full jazz sound but I ain't a full jazz player and it sounds much better and different in my opinion to my pacifica even through a modelling amp. Plus I like that it's a big guitar (I'm a big guy and mostly play sitting down. It looks great too. It's sound is much more bolder and fuller it sounds to me then the pacifica. In all honesty I was never going to buy a full on jazz guitar you know so I think this is a good compremize.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Quote by TechnoLp
your using a modeling amp they are still going to sound pretty close.

Get a new amp and a Used dot?

Vox modeling amps are quite capable of getting a good Jazz tone I know that from experience.

give us a NGD, TS!