hey guys i've kind of kind of hit a road block in my writing. i can't come up with any verses, choruses, or riffs. i was wondering what would be a good way of making my stuff sound original. i want to come up with metalcore stuff with mathcore influeces but it all just feels so stall to me. i've made one video of one of my songs i wrote but i took it down after many people critisized it for being just like every other metalcore song. so does anyone have any help on writing original stuff and building upon the things you come up with to make a better song?

i've seen one video that helped me but i couldn't rightly apply what they had descirbed. but then again it was the protest the hero guitarists stating their approach to songs so its a little hard to perform at the level (for me at least i have trouble with 4 strings and up when it comes to traversing the neck quickly)

tl;dr does anyone have nay methods at writing original songs parts, like riffs and then building upon them.

thanks to those who help me out
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
OK, this is going to sound weird, but wanting to make original music like someone else is where you're failing. You're getting criticized because you are actually trying to imitate other people, which isn't being original. Originality is where, instead of saying "I'm going to make a metalcore song like X", you sit down and write the music you really want to write. It may not even end up like metalcore, but it will be original. The most original thing you have is yourself, and noone else is going to write a song like you are (however if a hundred people try to write a song like X 75 of the songs will sound exactly the same).

SO, instead of a metalcore song being your goal, a cool song should be your goal. Don't be afraid of leaving the genre a bit, it'll take you places you've never been and before you know it people will be talking about certain music as sounding "like your stuff".

As a result I think you need to take a break from listening to metalcore, or even metal. Seriously. Open your horizons and your music will sound less forced.
Metalcore is a pretty stale genre. Try using ideas from other genres and incorporate it into metalcore
Quote by F8iscruel
making my stuff sound original.

Quote by F8iscruel
metalcore

There's your problem

but seriously, listen to a wider range of music and take a break from writing.
i suggest some Frank Zappa, Miles Davis, and Charles Mingus to get you started.
thanks for the first two posts guys i really will take to heart what you said and have done that with the one song i wrote and Finished (if you want to hear just find the thread i started on it its Instrumental song "journey home" or something like as the title) it is midi thought.

Quote by TheDriller
There's your problem

but seriously, listen to a wider range of music and take a break from writing.
i suggest some Frank Zappa, Miles Davis, and Charles Mingus to get you started.

well you see i have been listening to stuff out of the ordinary for me, i went back and listend to some stuff on my older ipod like RATM and my Pearl Jam songs. and the last song i wrote i was inspired to because i was listening to a score by chopin while playing a video game about him (eternal sonata)

but thanks guys i really appreciate what you all said i should think about it like that
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
... the last [metal] song i wrote i was inspired to because i was listening to a score by chopin while playing a video game about him (eternal sonata)

Amazing. Life will never cease to amaze me.
Quote by Union Of V
Amazing. Life will never cease to amaze me.

actually it was a classical piece with a violin being the main solo instrument and the guitar having one solo. and the piano playing the rythme section for the first half
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
actually it was a classical piece with a violin being the main solo instrument and the guitar having one solo. and the piano playing the rythme section for the first half

That explains it! I'm still quoting it