What is the difference between the Epiphone Les paul studio, standard and custom?

I was looking at my friend's black LP custom for $600, then came a across Epi LP standard plus tops for $800. I then also came across a Epi LP studio plus top for $550.

Now I am unsure which one to buy or if I should get a Jackson JS30RR.

So what are the differences between the different Epi LP models? Is it just binding/hardware colour/Pickup covers?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
read the les paul buying guide at musiciansfriend.com
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
well the studio models are a "no-frills" version,
they have a thinner paint coating, no inlays, stuff like that...

its just little changes that make the guitar a bit cheaper to produce and to sell, they sound exactly the same as a standard model but just have cheaper asthetics
Customs are the best, Studios are eh, and it's rare you will find a good one. Standards are just what they are, standard. Good though.

Not sure about if the wood in the standards and customs are different, all I know is apparently customs have a better quality.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Quote by TheJem
Customs are the best, Studios are eh, and it's rare you will find a good one. Standards are just what they are, standard. Good though.

Not sure about if the wood in the standards and customs are different, all I know is apparently customs have a better quality.

Not really, i have played alot of standards that put some customs ive also playe to shame!

Either of them need a pup change if you plan on even attempting metal. Them alnico V humbuckers are weak as water.

Il take my speciall II with a dimebucker over a standard or a custom anyday.

But i do plan on a black beauty 3 with some BK Warpigs
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa

Il take my speciall II with a dimebucker over a standard or a custom anyday.

I'll take that challenge btw how is your 333XL working out? Thinking of picking one up myself
They're all more or less the same guitar, but with:
  • different hardware
  • Different Finishes
  • different binding (if applicable)
  • Different Inlays (dots on the Studio, Trapezoids on the Standard, blocks on the Custom)

If you're gonna get any of them, you may as well get a Standard.
Replace the Pickups! They suck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I'll take that challenge btw how is your 333XL working out? Thinking of picking one up myself

Amazing man, simply amazing. These amps have so much to give, check it out. Its got the warmth of a Marshall, and can get heavy as hell. The other guitarist in my band has a DSL, and they complement each other so much. The clean channel on the 333xl is fantastic. And the Lead channel is terrifying, cuts threw the mix perfectly.

Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Studios are very similar to Standards apparently, only with more wood, covered pickups and overall better hardware. I haven't ever seen a Custom. Specials are in a class of their own lets say, with the bottom range of Squiers
I have a modded Epi LP Studio that plays and sounds better than alot of Standards I've picked up in stores. I replaced the bridge pup with a SD JB and kept the stock neck pup. (I think it sounds good for clean tones)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Customs are usually the best, plus they come in the most interesting colors
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
It seems pretty strange to charge more for a guitar with a different top when they are all veneers in the first place.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
well the studio models are a "no-frills" version,
they have a thinner paint coating, no inlays, stuff like that...

its just little changes that make the guitar a bit cheaper to produce and to sell, they sound exactly the same as a standard model but just have cheaper asthetics
Wrong. It's also craftsmanship and build/materials quality. More expensive guitars will be made with better care and materials (higher grade woods, better pickups, better hardware, etc.)/

Quote by bazzabalboa
Either of them need a pup change if you plan on even attempting metal. Them alnico V humbuckers are weak as water.

Also wrong. Mine work fine for playing metal. It's mostly in the amp.

I'd suggest looking for a nice used Les Paul. Check out the Elitist series or the Prophecy series. Or perhaps look at other brands; I've heard great things about LTD, Edwards, and Tokai.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS: