I'm playing with the thought of getting a PRS SE later this year and then modify it a lot, just for the fun of it and to get a kickass guitar for no money at all.

So... how are the Sperzel locking tuners? I'll get these or the PRS Phase II tuners, so I'm mainly wondering which ones are best at keeping a whammy guitar in tune.
Look into what guitar you could buy with the funds from the PRS SE and Sperzels.

Guitars of that price range should stay in tune pretty well with proper string tying and a lubricated nut.

I would suggest that you sell a guitar if you can and save up for a £1,000+ (13,000+ SEK) guitar that will last you for years to come.
My sperzels are great for keeping my guitar in tune and they are really easy to do string changes on.

The question is, how do you know the stock tuners will be bad? If they are bad, by all means get sperzels if not for the ease of changing strings alone. But you might find the stock tuners do the job very well.
PRS guitars are like $4000 each. They will have good hardware, its not like your buying a squire with cheap hardware.
Quote by guitarcam123
PRS guitars are like $4000 each. They will have good hardware, its not like your buying a squire with cheap hardware.

the SE range is different. they're not usually much more than about £500.

i would buy the prs first, and then see what you think needs upgrading, if anything.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by guitarcam123

I'm talking about the Student Edition guitars, mate. They're like $599.

It's not that I feel that I need the Sperzels, it's more that I love customizing guitars and I like to know that I've got great hardware, heh. I don't really need a new guitar either; my EX-400 is going to last me a long time. I simply wouldn't mind a 24-fret whammy guitar. I was planning to put DiMarzio D Sonic and Liquifier pickups on it too, to get a Petrucci-like tone. Just a really fun, customized guitar, really.
its not whammy, its tremolo. Well actually its vibrato but lets not start this argument now

I have heard good things about sperzels, like they are easy to use, are very light etc
Quote by guitarcam123
its not whammy, its tremolo. Well actually its vibrato but lets not start this argument now

I have heard good things about sperzels, like they are easy to use, are very light etc
Yes, I refuse to call it tremolo, because that's just incorrect. :P But yes, let's not get into that right now. xD But yeah, I've also heard nice things about Sperzels, and the ESP EC-1000 I played a while back had them. Quite cool and discrete.

Anyways, I'm just going to go ahead and try some PRS SEs and then try some ESP guitars 'round these parts, lots of those have Sperzels.
Last edited by Arzei at Jul 9, 2009,
Sperzels are great. i have them in my RG. if you pair it with a properly cut bone or graphite nut, tuning stability would be no problem at all.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Last edited by leviticus_22953 at Jul 9, 2009,
I like what I'm hearing. So, do you lock these things immedietly after stringing the guitar or do you do it every time after tuning or something? I really have no idea how these things work, I've used the original winged PRS tuners but that's about it as far as my locking tuner experience goes.
The Trim-Lok is a mechanical locking system. Unscrew locking knob until locking pin inside string post clears string hole.

DO NOT REMOVE KNOB, AS IT MAY RESULT IN LOSS OF LOCKING PIN AND DESTROY THREADS ON LOCKING KNOB SCREW AND MAY NOT SCREW ALL THE WAY IN TO LOCK STRING POST. THIS WILL VOID WARRANTY!

Now, insert string into hole and pull string all the way through post until tight, while holding string screw locking knob in until string is locked to post. Do not over-tighten; finger tight will do. Then, tune to pitch (Approximately 1/2 turn with tuning button). You should be in tune; cut excess string and repeat the process for remaining strings

that's all of the sperzel website. here's the link: http://www.sperzel.com/Models_Colors.asp

lol... i bought my set without knowing anything about them either. it took a couple minutes to figure out, but if you just read the instructions, it's quite clear
Sperzels are awesome. I have some of mine going backwards and they still work just as well.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
ive got em on my jr. and theyre awesome! took me a minute to figure out how they "lock" because its not like other locking tuners. but its really easy to change strings with.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.