Slightly annoying problem on my EX-400: If I pluck one string and then mute it, there'll still be sound coming from the amp because for some reason, a bunch of other strings will have begun vibrating as well. This makes it nearly impossible to get clean notes when playing with distortion; I get a lot of noise from the other strings.

I was thinking this might have something to do with the nut, since my new strings are 10s and my old ones were 9s, but I don't know.
ur doing it wrong!
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
It's natural. Harmonics is the name for it.
Just get used to muting the other strings, which is a very important technique in all playing styles.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
usually (atleast when I play) if you ever hit like just an open high e and mute only that string your gonna notice that maybe the B string is humming a lil and maybe some other strings. I think the reason it happens is that the frequencies from the notes are relative so it causes the other string to vibrate/hum so I think thats why its happening or I just said some really stupid crap but the way I would go about it is instead of just muting the one string mute em all at once and dont mute so heavy and put a lot of force cause it could work like a pull off thing probably.
I see. Well, that'll be a pain; I thought they were supposed to stay still unless plucked, but okay. You learn something new each day. ^^

It happens much more strongly when I do rapid pulloffs. Say, I'm on 10th fret, hammer 12th, hammer 14th and then pull off down to 10th. The pretty much can't be heard through all the noise that's generated from the rest of the strings.
Last edited by Arzei at Jul 9, 2009,
the pull off part sounds natural to me atleast it used to happen to me but I had my gain on my pedal max'd out and when I lowered it to about half I get a better sound and nothing gets drowned out.
Quote by Feak329
the pull off part sounds natural to me atleast it used to happen to me but I had my gain on my pedal max'd out and when I lowered it to about half I get a better sound and nothing gets drowned out.
I could try that, I suppose. I do have the gain on my SC-2 set at 70-80%, which I guess is pretty high.