I plug into the amp through a couple of pedals and I'm not getting any noise. The grounds make a noise if I tap them, but no signal. I take off the backplate and take a look inside to see if a wire has come loose, nothing. I turn the volume pot down to 0, there's a funny noise and I look in the back and the pot is on fire. Now there's a lovely smell in my room and a broken guitar pot, what the hell?

EDIT: oh no! The pot still works! It's a miracle.
Last edited by Les Paul Ell at Jul 9, 2009,
Cool story bro.

On a more serious note, go yell at the people you bought it from. Do you have active pickups? Otherwise, I seriously can't understand how there's be enough current to set **** on fire.
Nice story, belongs in the pit though unless you got a question?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
nope, passive epiphone bridge pickup that came with the guitar. It's only the bridge one, the neck pickup doesn't work.
Pics or you just lit a match.

That's epic awesome, sucks for you. but that's awesome.

Maybe you had bad pots and you just had it plugged in for too long? When it comes to the wiring I'm rather clueless...
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
crazy ness theres a curse on it
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
my friend recons it's the power supply I was running into my tubescreamer. He's probably right. I'll give it another go..
might be stupid but did you plug your guitar into your amps output? because that will fry the wires and could potentially start a fire.
hmmm rather odd and hard to believe story. guitars don't spontaneously combust. Just drummers do.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
hmmm rather odd and hard to believe story. guitars don't spontaneously combust. Just drummers do.

Spinal Tap FTW....(if thats what you were referencing to XD)

Quote by TheJem
Pics or you just lit a match.

That sucks serious though. :P
Quote by siverstorm
Spinal Tap FTW....(if thats what you were referencing to XD)

That sucks serious though. :P

winner! indeed I was
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by MRavioli
Jimi Hendrix has reincarnated himself into your guitar pot.

this.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
You either did something completely idiotic, the electricity in your house is dangerously miswired and your amp is broken/old, or you're lying.
i`m calling you a BS artist the burning smell was the toast you left under the grill and your coffee was cold when you lifted your head...stop dreaming.