I've been recording with this champ of mine, but it has one problem. No matter what volume I play at there is this little...a guess it's a hiss. But only when I am playing. I've eliminated everything that could rattle in the room I'm playing in, I've even switched speakers and that little hiss comes through, but only when I'm playing.

Any ideas? I can post a sound clip if that helps.

EDIT: might it be my mic? I just tried it on a different amp.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jul 9, 2009,
Sounds like mic noise. Shouldn't be a big problem, you don't usually hear it when the guitar's playing (though it would be a good idea to slap a noise gate on the recorded track to get rid of the noise when the guitar isn't playing). You don't get this problem as much with condensers, but you don't get the same sound with them wither.
Quote by Union Of V
Sounds like mic noise. Shouldn't be a big problem, you don't usually hear it when the guitar's playing (though it would be a good idea to slap a noise gate on the recorded track to get rid of the noise when the guitar isn't playing). You don't get this problem as much with condensers, but you don't get the same sound with them wither.

But it only happens when I AM playing. It's almost like something is vibrating.

Is there any way it's the tubes? I tried it on my old SS amp and heard nothing.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jul 9, 2009,
I haven't recorded tube gear before so I don't know. It does sound like resonance - are you sure you can't hear it before you record? If you can, then you can figure out if it's something loose in the amp or cab or if it's the mic stand or clip vibrating - I can't imagine the mic picking up anything else without you noticing.
Actually come to think of it if you're using old tubes it could be that. But check if it's something else first. If the amp/combo has headphone outs see if the hiss is on those.
Quote by Union Of V
I haven't recorded tube gear before so I don't know. It does sound like resonance - are you sure you can't hear it before you record? If you can, then you can figure out if it's something loose in the amp or cab or if it's the mic stand or clip vibrating - I can't imagine the mic picking up anything else without you noticing.

I can't hear it before I record. It only happens when I'm playing and a pick hard, it's also especially noticeable with deep vibrato too. The tubes are pretty old in both amps. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what it was actually.

And when i say hiss, it's not really hiss it's like....a propane burner.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Ok, either old tubes or, if it's not an actual buzzing, maybe you're overdriving it somehow. But I don't have the thing in my hands to check so I'd go with the old tubes.

[EDIT] I'd rather someone who owns one of these babies confirms though...
Last edited by Union Of V at Jul 9, 2009,