so i just got my first phaser pedal. a washburn bad dog. im pretty happy with it, it does what it says it does and its fun to play around with. but how do you use it more constructively?

as in whats the best way to make it less of a toy to play with and more a useful effect?
if someone could post some riffs that go good with a phaser or some good settings or just tips in general itd be greatly appreciated

thankies!
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
The intro to Killing in the Name.

Subtle tremolo picking with lotsa delay and reverb.

Bowel-movement inducing laser gun noises.

Laying down chords over a slow loop with the rate set to low.

Be inventive dammit!
thanks for the tips and how do you do the laser noises! they sound pretty fun :p so i guess the best way to learn how to use it is to just play with it.. which is exactly what i just asked how not to do XD the irony is almost unbearable!

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
Quote by sylphin
thanks for the tips and how do you do the laser noises! they sound pretty fun :p so i guess the best way to learn how to use it is to just play with it.. which is exactly what i just asked how not to do XD the irony is almost unbearable!

Lasers = Rate on full, depth on full, distortion before the phaser.

Your mom's gonna be pissed.
Quote by JayLacelle
what? phaser can actually be used in a song?

o.0

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
now theres a pedal id like! compressors are fun to toy around with, can get some pretty awesome sounds from em ^^

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
Just experiment with it at different points as you're playing. Don't purposely try to use it the same way everyone else does.

For me personally, as with all modulation effects, I tend to try and use them sparingly. They have more effect that way.
404: Sig not found.
Just experiment, and the lazer noises aren't too bad.....(/has to try with distortion/fuzz in front).

Just **** around with the settings and find good uses for it. I love slow swelling, especially on chords. Makes it sound a lot more powerful, especially timed right.
Quote by sylphin
now theres a pedal id like! compressors are fun to toy around with, can get some pretty awesome sounds from em ^^

How do you get a compressor to actually change the sound if it only works on dynamics?
I've seen a guy make really cool helicopter noises with them. I think he just used his bridge pickup and scratched the side of his hand over the strings close to the bridge. I guess you need rate and depth quite high to full
Quote by RIPKurt67-94

Now, which do you like better? Phase or Flange?! I really like Flange but I say Phaser because I use it more.

Phaser.

Flangers are too whooshy.
i think one of the things phasers do best is working on slowish picked lines that have lots of held notes. the bridge of stellar by incubus is a good example. i also find that a subtle phaser can add some depth to anything that is based on powerchords, gives it a bit of movement even if not much is happening. ive always found that nice for parts under vocals.
Also very good for psychedelic bits and riffs and solos and such. And I agree, it's also great for parts that are backing a vocal part.
I actually sometimes use phaser in place of wah, as, not having one, it's the closest I can get to it!

One day...
Last edited by EL2T at Jul 9, 2009,
learn some van halen stuff, if you're into that kind of music. Edd used a phase 90 all over the place earlier in his carreer. check out atomic punk, ain't talkin bout love, and most of his solos
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Last edited by phobiafreak949 at Jul 9, 2009,