does anyine out ther have any opinions on the seymour duncans invader's? i hear there really good but how good are they? cause the only guy i can think if who uses them is synster gates from a7x
Hell.

No.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
don't know much about the invaders but SD mostly make good stuff I like the Black Outs

@Bubb: Care to give some reasoning as to why you don't like them? It will be more helpful
Well, Give Karl Sanders' tone a listen. Unless you want something like that, no.
For that matter TS, what tone are you looking for, what's lacking in your current tone, and what amp are you using.
^I thought he used Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups?

But to answer TS's question, no you shouldn't, they sound incredibly muddy IMO
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by AxSilentxLine
don't know much about the invaders but SD mostly make good stuff I like the Black Outs

@Bubb: Care to give some reasoning as to why you don't like them? It will be more helpful

Because they're muddy and terrible.

Most people use customized ones anyways, so just tossing in Invaders won't do anything other than (probably) ruin your tone.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
^ fair enuff then btw wasn't trying to take a swipe at you I just wanted to know WHY they aren't good since I knew nothing about them along with TS

NP man. I'm just trying to save somebody from potentially making a mistake.

Sometimes bluntness is more effective than eloquence.

im lacking in the bass department. my high end is pretty sweet but the bass on it sounds like someone shat out a couple of notes.
im using a 100w peavey bandit
and i usually have the gain on it cranked around 8 just enough to scream but not hiding the tone

it is a custom invader btw its the same as synster gates but with a red cover. but i was wondering if you could do anymore with it than 'metalcore' :P
Last edited by dr_shred at Jul 9, 2009,
not much synyster sounding but i do quite like the highs he has i want like a killer bass tone for big riffs. but i dont want it to drown out the highs cause theres only so much you can tweak on the amp
the amps fine i run my rg through it aswell and it sounds perfect its just when i plug in my custom ashton the bass is horrible( its the guitar im swapping pups on)
Quote by MetalHead916
In your situation, I would upgrade the amp before "invading" the guitar

+1

Gates sound mainly comes from the thousands of dollars he has in his amps/rig etc

he playes a higher level Schecter but if you played Squier through his rig it would still sound great

EDIT: But playing an Ashton through it would change things a fair bit no offence man but what made you but an Ashton
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
NP man. I'm just trying to save somebody from potentially making a mistake.

Sometimes bluntness is more effective than eloquence.

And it seems to be about the only tactic one can use on UG in order to get someone to listen to reason. I find that people only make threads in the GG&A forum so they can get some type of reinforcement. And if they don't get it, they still get the product that everyone told them not to.

/rant

No TS, you can get better pickups.

Style?
Budget?
Amp/Guitar?
etc.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Because they're muddy and terrible.

Most people use customized ones anyways, so just tossing in Invaders won't do anything other than (probably) ruin your tone.

Have you actually played them through a decent amp? You are dead wrong.
you guys dont know nothing...
sd invaders sound great...
a lot of people dont like them because their guitar and amp sucks, the tone comes from amp and guitar and pickups are just to tweak your tone a little bit...
ts, go with sd invaders, syn has them in all his guitars...
Quote by scream92
you guys dont know nothing...
sd invaders sound great...
a lot of people dont like them because their guitar and amp sucks, the tone comes from amp and guitar and pickups are just to tweak your tone a little bit...
ts, go with sd invaders, syn has them in all his guitars...

actually guitar pickups are to convert oscillations in the strings into sound and they should not flavour the tone at all. Some sound brighter because they pick up different frequencies better. Tone comes from the amp that I agree with
Quote by Slay 'Em
Have you actually played them through a decent amp? You are dead wrong.

Sure did!

I played an Invader guitar through a Marshall MG, Line 6 Spider, Fender Frontman, Ibanez Toneblaster, and a Squier Affinity amp before coming to my decision.

/sarcasm

You can read my signature. Do you honestly think I'd play something through an awful setup when I'm used to this rig?

i bought the ashton as a project lol the only remaining ashton part on that guitar is the body. and thats only there cause it has wicked resonant tone.
its a straight up beast atm but ive recently murderd the jb pups they fried out so im now upgrading i think? to invaders
Quote by dr_shred

im using a 100w peavey bandit

Quote by dr_shred
the amps fine i run my rg through it aswell and it sounds perfect its just when i plug in my custom ashton the bass is horrible( its the guitar im swapping pups on)

I'm not one to bag on peoples gear, but in the amp department you can do better. It's not horrible, but it's not good either. But I guess if it sounds perfect to you than that's all that matters.

I would say some Dimarzio Super Distortion pups. Good all around pickups.
hey dont get me wrong i would love a jcm 800 but i simply cant afford that and still be able to eat :P as you said its not bad but i could do better but atm its good for my wallet
Quote by dr_shred
hey dont get me wrong i would love a jcm 800 but i simply cant afford that and still be able to eat :P as you said its not bad but i could do better but atm its good for my wallet

Dude, I feel ya on that. I rocked a Danelectro Honeytone amp and a squier for years. Than I upgraded to a crate combo and then to a Fender Frontman for 3 years cuz I couldn't afford anything else. I just picked up my first good tube amp a couple of weeks ago and man do I notice the difference.

I'm gonna be putting Dimarzio Super Distortions in my S series Ibanez pretty soon here. I've done a lot of research and those seem like a good all around pickup.

You really should go to the pickup thread and ask the question there. Although I can't find where that thread is now....
Quote by CullenT
^I thought he used Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups?

But to answer TS's question, no you shouldn't, they sound incredibly muddy IMO

i dont know if sum1 answered htis already but from like 98-2003 he used a fender strat with 1 invader and 1 volume knob, and then 2004-present, he used the gibson es-335 with one dirty fingers, and one knob...LOL i love blink

i have the pickup in the fender tom delonge signature, and I really like it. SOme people say its muddy, its not that bad...
Fender Custom Shop Telecaster
Fender Tom DeLonge Signature
Gibson ES-339
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier
Marshall JCM900 1960a Lead 4x12
Quote by AxSilentxLine
actually guitar pickups are to convert oscillations in the strings into sound and they should not flavour the tone at all. Some sound brighter because they pick up different frequencies better. Tone comes from the amp that I agree with

you have a lot to learn about pickups and their effect on tone.

until then, the TS will be better off if you only offer advice on things you actually know about.

compare a bareknuckle nailbomb and a bareknuckle holy diver, completely different tone, distinctly hand-wound to effect tonal properties.

sd jb vs. sd pearly gates....again, totally different tone profiles.

instrument, pickups, effects, amp, strings, ....all effect tone to varying degrees. to say pickups shouldnt flavor the tone at all is just silly.
they sound good in my alder body kramer, its too dark for mahogany. the pickup has to set just right for best tone, keep the bass side a bit lower. sounds good on my bugera, they lack some high end range-best for rhythm
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Mark Morton used to use em, they sound ok (i have one in the bridge).. there alittle fuzzy and stuff, and you don't have much of a clean sound either

like others have said upograde the amp first.
The Peavey Bandit can sound amazing, if you EQ it right and when it's played at four or above.

The Peavey Bandit is a bassy amp. I don't see how you could not have enough bass. What's your EQ settings?

And IMO, Syn's tone sucks.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jul 9, 2009,
the bass is sitting at like 7ish i have to back it off if i put any other guitars in it or it just sounds to bassy
mids at 6 high is roughly around 6 and three quarters
Quote by xtheclincherx

you have a lot to learn about pickups and their effect on tone.

until then, the TS will be better off if you only offer advice on things you actually know about.

compare a bareknuckle nailbomb and a bareknuckle holy diver, completely different tone, distinctly hand-wound to effect tonal properties.

sd jb vs. sd pearly gates....again, totally different tone profiles.

instrument, pickups, effects, amp, strings, ....all effect tone to varying degrees. to say pickups shouldnt flavor the tone at all is just silly.

Notice how I said "should not" instead of "will not" please don't misconstrue my words

of course I know that different pickups as well as other factors will change your tone why else would I customise my own gear if I thought it would have no effect at all?
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 10, 2009,
dude if you want them go for it, thats all you can do.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.