I'm going searching for some 1x12's locally tomorrow because one of my bandmates' houses that we jam at has an upstairs music room and I cbf dragging my 4x12 cab up the stairs. My Genz Benz head I plan to use the 1x12 with has cab impedance selections of 16, 8 & 4 ohms and an output power selector of 100w or 50w. I've hardly ever used it at 100w due to the lack of situations I've come across that require cross-oceanic sound projection...

Anyway, I'm mainly not sure which companies make 1x12" cabs so just wanted to get some suggestions on which are the better-value-for-money/decent ones out there. I've seen a Blackheart single speaker cab (not sure of speaker diameter or model) at a local store and that'll be the first place I head 2moro, but that's all I know of.

Speaker-wise, I dont really care much as long as one could consider it decent and able to handle my amp without blowing. Preferably reliable... Something that could give me an alright Tool, Orange Goblin, Karnivool & just about any of my 10 fave bands' sound(s) for example would be sweet if that helps (fave bands in my profile). I'm guessing a closed back cab would be best as I want to get a fair amount of bass response if possible.

I'm open to suggestions of 1x10's, 1x15's and 2x12's (as a last resort from single speakers and as long as they are pretty cheap but half decent).

O yeh, "cheap" = $300 AUD (I will go over budget depending tho)
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 9, 2009,
If you really do not want a 212 then there are some 112 options although I'm not super familiar with all they could be. I was going to mention that Splawn now makes 1x12 cabs but then I saw your budget and location and did one of these

That's like $150 US right? Save up or get the Blackheart cab. The speaker in there may not be perfect for Tool and such but it's a start. You always slap a used Vintage 30 in there later.

something used, with at least 75 watt capability. imo, good luck friend.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
when you factor in our outrageous pricing for things $300 AUD is closer to $100 USD

To be honest though I think you would be better off getting a 2x12 you'll find the limitations of a 1x12 pretty fast with your amp and wish you'd gone for a 2x12
I don't have much experience with 112 cabs to be honest.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If you really do not want a 212 then there are some 112 options although I'm not super familiar with all they could be. I was going to mention that Splawn now makes 1x12 cabs but then I saw your budget and location and did one of these

That's like $150 US right? Save up or get the Blackheart cab. The speaker in there may not be perfect for Tool and such but it's a start. You always slap a used Vintage 30 in there later.

Lol yeh Splawns r quite out of the picture atm. The aussie dollar is about 80c USD atm so roughly $220 USD online i guess, our prices in stores here are usually significantly higher than in the US tho.

I took a look at the little 1x10 blackheart cabs and theyr 30w max so theyr out...

Hmm, alright well I'm off to bed, scouting 2moz around town, thnx for replying guys.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Blackheart makes a 1x12... I'd ship you mine but the $100 I want for it would probably be 1/2 the shipping cost.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by gregs1020
something used, with at least 75 watt capability. imo, good luck friend.

Good point on the wattageness

Also, I don't think a 1x10 is going to do Tool much justice and a 1x15 would be too flubby. I think you should sell your 4x12 XXX cab and buy a decent 212.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Also, I don't think a 1x10 is going to do Tool much justice and a 1x15 would be too flubby. I think you should sell your 4x12 XXX cab and buy a decent 212.

+1

212s ftw!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

TS, I agree with this. Advice is spot on.