I've been playing guitar for five years now, and bass for two. I couldn't find a good bass tutor so i've been teaching myself, figuring that it shouldn't be too hard with my guitar background. I started out with a pick, but it didn't take me too long to get my fingers going instead.

However, I can't seem to keep it up for any period of time more than about ten minutes because it hurts the hell out of my fingers - i regularly end up with blisters and have to use the pick instead. That can't be normal, right? I've no idea what could be causing this: i don't notice anything wildly different about my technique, I don't know if it's just because my bass is a budget model with really crappy strings. I just think 2 years is a bit long to have this still happen - this ever happen to you guys?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
I can play for much longer without hurting my hands on the strings, and I have only been playing for about three months..

Maybe you have a vulnerable skin?
Is it muscle pain too? crappy worn down strings shouldn't be all sharp or anything, maybe go get some rubbing alcohol and dip your fingers in before, during, and after playing to really get some monster callouses going.
Maybe use tape on the ends of your fingers
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
u will develop callouses if you play enough, but u shouldnt be playing that hard with your fingers, its basically just a light pull on the string
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
not muscular, just blistery.

i doubt its the skin - my other hand didn't take long to harden up from all the fretting, and i shouldn't think there'd be anything wrong with one of my hands and not the other.

maybe i'm just a massive pussy.
my friends sister used to duct tape her fingers...try that if it really hurts.
changing your strings might help too.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
could be playing too hard - i mostly play through a practice guitar amp, so i might be playing too hard to compensate for the volume.

appreciate halps.
I never had this issues, maybe look up videos of proper technique and see how you do it?
When I fill in bass duties for my band, I tend to just put my finger below the string and then pluck it lightly
Quote by McTodd
I've been playing guitar for five years now, and bass for two. I couldn't find a good bass tutor so i've been teaching myself, figuring that it shouldn't be too hard with my guitar background. I started out with a pick, but it didn't take me too long to get my fingers going instead.

However, I can't seem to keep it up for any period of time more than about ten minutes because it hurts the hell out of my fingers - i regularly end up with blisters and have to use the pick instead. That can't be normal, right? I've no idea what could be causing this: i don't notice anything wildly different about my technique, I don't know if it's just because my bass is a budget model with really crappy strings. I just think 2 years is a bit long to have this still happen - this ever happen to you guys?

There's your problem.

Get new strings.

EDIT: I beat the living **** out of my strings and I've got one blister in like two years. and I use Rotos
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 9, 2009,
Moisturise yo fingers foole!
sounds girly but really helps.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by winnipegbassist
suck it up buttercup, my fingers did that too for a while then i practiced

wow, cause i sure ain't practising now. didn't think of that.
I've been playing bass since January and have calluses on all my fingers, but when i tried to learn run to the hills yesterday my fingers felt like they were about to bleed.
my gear:
sansamp liverpool
sansamp gt2
fender standard strat
squire vintage modified precision bass
laguna sunburst bass
acoustic b100
ehx bass big muff pi
You need a proper bass amp anyway. Get one and see if your plucks aren't as crazy. Go find a little Acoustic practice amp.

EDIT:^Check that too
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
everything's in order with the bass, except the electronics are falling apart. ich bin ein student, so i can hardly afford strings, let alone a new amp. i'll take care from now on and see where it gets me. to be fair i get carried away, and i play lots of uptempo stuff, so it's probably just my technique.

cheers guys.
Quote by McTodd
everything's in order with the bass, except the electronics are falling apart. ich bin ein student, so i can hardly afford strings, let alone a new amp. i'll take care from now on and see where it gets me. to be fair i get carried away, and i play lots of uptempo stuff, so it's probably just my technique.

cheers guys.

I totally understand that.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls