Page 1 of 4
Here it is! The new official Ultimate Fighting Championship and Mixed Martial Arts thread! Come on in and discuss everything MMA!

I know there is already an MMA thread, but it's not really all that great and it kinda died. So this is the new one...

Basic Info

For those of you that are going to come say that fighting is just a bunch of muscular dudes hitting each other, let me explain a bit. Mixed Martial Arts refers to exactly what the name says. A mixture of different martial arts, depending on the style of the fighters. It is kind of like a more extreme combination of kick boxing and wrestling. MMA fighters have all sorts of training backgrounds, ranging from Jiu Jitsu to straight up american Wrestling, from Muay Thai to Kickboxing.

It is often a combination of striking(using hands, elbows, legs and knees) to grappling or submission wrestling, so the fighters have to be well-rounded in all categories to succeed. It takes ALOT of training and hard work to master this, so no, they are not just a bunch of oversized men beating the living bajeezus out of each other.

Links
Here I will provide some resources for info on MMA and the UFC.

The UFC website - Info on everything UFC.

The Wikipedia page for MMA - I know, I know, Wikipedia sucks. Get over it. It seems accurate for the most part.

MMAfighting.com - News on anything MMA

MuayThai.com - Everything involving the fighting style that is Muay Thai

Also, if anyone could find links on Jiu Jitsu or any other fighting styles, that would be awesome.

The next UFC event is UFC 100 on Saturday, July 11!

It will consist of:

Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir

George St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves

Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago

Dan Henderson vs. Micheal Bisping

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher

Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar

And about 4 others, all of which are small and relatively unimportant and likely not to be broadcast.

I will post videos and who won after the event, and I will update this section with every new event.

Quote by Chris3235
UK PEOPLE READ ! - There has been confusion as to where to watch this event if you are in the UK. This should clear it up.

it will show free to air on satellite channel 433 and ALSO will be streamed free onto UFC.com on Saturday night for 9 hours, a marathon stint, between 9pm and 6am. It will show a programme of the 100 greatest fights in UFC history, followed by the Countdown show, followed by the live event.

Channel 433 on Sky is a dead channel which is becoming a UFC channel for 9 hours only.

To clarify - if you are a Virgin Media or Freeview customer, it is a case of watching it at a friend’s place who has Sky, or watching it completely free on UFC.com online. UFC have been streaming events for years, so it will be good quality.

This thread can also be used to discuss our own MMA adventures, etc. For example, I take Muay Thai classes, and have been doing it for about a year. Any other fighters here, feel free to discuss.

This thread will get bigger and I will include alot more stuff in this first post if it is used. Just give it time.

Enjoy!
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Last edited by Ganoosh at Jul 10, 2009,
cool a fightin thread
Quote by tancanada
He's from Arkansas. Of course he wants to eat it.

Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
I'm ready to rumble

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
To be honest, everytime I see snippets of UFC in pubs or whatever, it just looks like a streetfight with extremely built guys. I don't think it can be glorified as 'martial arts'.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by Badreligionrock
To be honest, everytime I see snippets of UFC in pubs or whatever, it just looks like a streetfight with extremely built guys. I don't think it can be glorified as 'martial arts'.

THIS.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Quote by Badreligionrock

Read the first post. Mostly when they are on the ground, it looks like they are aimlessly wrestling and pounding on each other, but there is very much a technique to it. You just gotta know what's going on.
Sweet, I used to do Ju-Jitsu and Boxing but it got pushed away with school and other things but i remember a few things.

Also to respond to the other thread about the UK showing i got news about it

it will show free to air on satellite channel 433 and ALSO will be streamed free onto UFC.com on Saturday night for 9 hours, a marathon stint, between 9pm and 6am. It will show a programme of the 100 greatest fights in UFC history, followed by the Countdown show, followed by the live event.

Channel 433 on Sky is a dead channel which is becoming a UFC channel for 9 hours only.

To clarify - if you are a Virgin Media or Freeview customer, it is a case of watching it at a friend’s place who has Sky, or watching it completely free on UFC.com online. UFC have been streaming events for years, so it will be good quality.

Also Lesnar , GSP and Bisping will win the main fights
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
I thought Polar Bears were peaceful creatures

They are.

I have several personalities. The polar bear represents the one that doesn't enjoy beating the piss out of people.
Why does everyone like Lesnar against Mir? He has had four pro fights and everyone thinks he unbeatable.
Quote by Chris3235

Also Lesnar , GSP and Bisping will win the main fights

The only one I can't agree with is Bisping. I think he is great, but Dan Henderson is just awesome. All this talk of Bisping knocking him out is just rediculous. The man doesn't get knocked out.
That saying i havent seen much of Hendo, can you recommend one of his best fights?
Quote by Venice King

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
^ Check it out
Quote by ShaunDiel
Mir
GSP
Thiago
Henderson

There's my picks for the fights that actually matter.

PS: http://www.myvideofight.com/UFC/Frank-Mir-x-Brock-Lesnar-UFC-81

That was lesnars first fight in the UFC, hes learnt alot since then..hes going to be a lot more careful
Quote by Venice King

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
^ Check it out
Quote by ESPplayer5150
Sorry but lesnars trash.

No way, look at heath herrings face after their match, look at some of lesnars bouts before WWE. The guys a tank.
Quote by Venice King

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
^ Check it out
Size means nothing. Why are you bringing up heath herring he was decent in pride ill give you that but after he got koed by cro cop he hasnt been the same. Plus lesnar couldnt even finish him.
Lesnar will be the biggest(as in physical) fighter in UFC, since heavyweight's can just be whichever weight they want after the cut off for HW's. It's just about if he can turn that power into a good game. Frank mir has shown him that you need just a lot more than being a powerful fighter. I think Lesnar will pull him apart.

Henderson - Yeah i doubt he'll get knocked out by bisping, but i still think bisping will win

Great idea for a thread. Love watchin ufc
so me and my firend decided to go down to boston pizza and play a little game. We each get to pick the winner of a fight and the loser has to do a tequila shot. He gets to pick one fight and I get to pick one.

So tell me pit, who's gonna win. I was gonna pick Mir, Alves and Bisping. But then I realized Mir doesn't ahve much to loose, he's already got a win over lesnar, and LEsnar's out for revnege. Bisping can't knock Henderson out, his jaw is just too strong and after his loss to Matt Serra, I haven't seen GSP underestimate anyone, but if truth be told, If there's anyone who can beat GSP it's Alves. Oh, and Coleman is gonna get ****eeeeeed
Quote by abe123
thats one of the funniest posts ive seen in a while... to sig or not to sig

Quote by Kenny77
Awesome.

Quote by Kensai
Probably from india. Most bad things come from there.
The lesnar hype is the same hype Tim Sylvia got before he fought couture that tim would win because he was too big and powerful and look what happened to that.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
The lesnar hype is the same hype Tim Sylvia got before he fought couture that tim would win because he was too big and powerful and look what happened to that.

Yeah, but Couture is in a class of his own. Mir is no where close to his status.
Quote by abe123
thats one of the funniest posts ive seen in a while... to sig or not to sig

Quote by Kenny77
Awesome.

Quote by Kensai
Probably from india. Most bad things come from there.
Lesnars different.

He isnt just "big and powerful" Hes quick, his takedowns are unnatural and has amazing wrestling ability.
Quote by Venice King

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
^ Check it out
Quote by Chris3235
That was lesnars first fight in the UFC, hes learnt alot since then..hes going to be a lot more careful

Still.
It's Frank Mir.

Lesnar's ground game gets owned by Mirs.

I just cannot see brock winning at all.
Quote by Chris3235
Lesnars different.

He isnt just "big and powerful" Hes quick, his takedowns are unnatural and has amazing wrestling ability.

He's far from 'quick'. He might be kind of fast for his size..

And he's far from the veteran that Mir is, and he showed that in the fight when he made a brutal rookie mistake which cost him the fight.
Last edited by ShaunDiel at Jul 9, 2009,
His takedowns don"t matter if he can't defend submissions. I don't hate lesnar but Mir has alot more expreience and that will probably be his downfall.
Suppose, i still think hes going to win. I bet hes learnt so much since his last fight esp about submission defence.
Quote by Venice King

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
^ Check it out
Quote by Chris3235
Suppose, i still think hes going to win. I bet hes learnt so much since his last fight esp about submission defence.

Yeah but even still.
Do you think he could've learned enough in however many months to hang with one of the worlds best submission artists?
I would honestly rather see Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien on the main card rather than Jon Fitch vs Paulo Thiago.

Jon Jones does some crazy ass **** and is exciting as hell. Paulo Thiago pretty much got lucky when he knocked out Koscheck, does anyone really think he's going to beat Fitch now?
Quote by Graveworm
The whole muagy thai or whatever crap is just meh to me.
if bisping actually thinks he's going to knock out henderson..hes in for a rude awakening
"If the good die young, we'll fucking live forever"

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital Warts > What Separates Me From You

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital warts, what separates me from you
Alot of people forget that Jon Fitch is a veteran fighter and had an 8 win streak before the loss to GSP.
jon finch is going to walk through him

Quote by zezimathehero

Quote by zezimathehero
hes one of the toughest dudes in the ufc

Quote by zezimathehero

Quote by zezimathehero
Quote by ESPplayer5150
Whats everyones opinions on GSP VS Thaigo?

I got GSP in that one. He's great.
Page 1 of 4