Page 1 of 2
Is it worth me getting something like the Boss compression/Sustainer CS-3 ... I basically want to have much longer sustained sounds, (be that chords, notes or whatever), and I'm not at all familiar with a sustainer pedal. I know like a fuzz pedal will increase sustain, so is a Sustainer needed?
what amp/guitar have you got?
a good amp and guitar, combined with a bit of reverb should give enough sustain for most people without a specific sustainer pedal
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
it can help, a compressor basically "evens out" the notes, makes them all sound even and such. I use mine with some overdrive for my powerscaling and sweeping and such. it also helps make your chords sound nicer, since it balances the notes out.

i dunno how the sustainer part works though, are you talking extra sustain like a second or two? this wont give you infinite sustain.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Guitar, Amp, Pedals, Genre, Guitar setup, String Height, Floating or Hardtail and on and on... Let us know what you have, how you use it and what is wrong with the current setup..
90s fender jaguar, line 6 spider amp (sorry, nothing vintage!) - I basically want something to give me some loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong sustain, yes. What should I therefore be looking for?
Well, your amp sucks. Save your money. Get another amp.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I think it sounds fine, but y'know, I'm a moron who shouldn't even be playing guitar.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Well, your amp sucks. Save your money. Get another amp.

Quote by lolamala
thanks for that.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Get a new amp.. Reason being it doesnt take pedals well so that is out and its not the best choice when amps are concerned. Only way to really improve your sustain would be do some work on the guitar to get it where it needs to be. And thats if its not already there, which more then likely its close. So a new amp is gonna probably be your only option.
So what's a decent amp for small gigs? Around 150W? I'd prefer a combo amp.......
Psychedelic/Shoegazey stuff..... lots of FX, fuzz, reverb....... budget wise..... not stacks of $$! Any amps you can recommend under/around 500 dollars?
Quote by lolamala
Psychedelic/Shoegazey stuff..... lots of FX, fuzz, reverb....... budget wise..... not stacks of $$! Any amps you can recommend under/around 500 dollars?

Used Vetta
150 watts for a small gig? Jesus Christ! I gig with 100 Watts solid state and thats too much for even some of my bigger gigs! (though I'm mostly mic'd up now)

What is a small gig to you?

But yes budget, genres, new or used etc?

EDIT: Aaah slow typing
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
100 watts then! I don't know, people tell me all kinds, and I end up with a Spider amp! Prefer a used amp, yes.
Well if you wan't a load of FX in one convienient setup then IbanezPsycho's used Vetta suggestion is probably perfect
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
I don't want built in FX, i've my own pedal set up.......... so Line 6 aren't neccesarily crap - just the Spiders?! Are the Flextones any good? Oh - and is a Marshall AVT 275 any good does anyone know?
Quote by lolamala
I don't want built in FX, i've my own pedal set up.......... so Line 6 aren't neccesarily crap - just the Spiders?! Are the Flextones any good? Oh - and is a Marshall AVT 275 any good does anyone know?

If you have your own pedal board all modellers are out...

Do you play high gain, low gain or mainly cleans?
Depends really - more often than not I need dirty fuzz coming through...! That or a reverby kinda surfy sound
Just a good, solid little amp - 100w, not bothered about the effects, pref a combo, under $500.... that's it!
Anything more find-able? I'd not get anything like that where I live...
Quote by lolamala
Just a good, solid little amp - 100w, not bothered about the effects, pref a combo, under $500.... that's it!

used Peavey Classic 30
B-52 AT112
There are many more, I seem to be having a mindfart at the moment though.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Peavey Classic 30 is standing out a mile here.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
While your amp is bad, it isn't the problem as the insane channel will usually offer more than enough sustain.
I think I want rid of the amp now.. I've been offered either a Marshall AVT 275 or a Fender Frontman 212R.. Has anyone owned either amp or used them?
For the most part I wouldn't get a AVT, and Frontman's are awful.

I don't know what your budget is, but a 1x12 or 2x12 Fender tube amp, something like a Deluxe or Twin Reverb would work great.

You could awesome cleans for surf rock, awesome reverb, and hook in the whacko effects and fuzz for distorted tones.

At least thats what I do, if you don't want a realistic overdrive channel.

If you want that than Classic 30 or 50/ b-52 AT/Ampeg would probably work well.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I suggest the Fender Princeton Chorus, it is possibly the best sounding Solid State amp there is. They can be found on Ebay for $100-300 which is, IMO, a steal.
Quote by ticklemeemo
I suggest the Fender Princeton Chorus, it is possibly the best sounding Solid State amp there is. They can be found on Ebay for $100-300 which is, IMO, a steal.

This would work well too, I've heard these are pretty close to the classic great Fender cleans, plus you'd get Chorus as well.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by lolamala
I think I want rid of the amp now.. I've been offered either a Marshall AVT 275 or a Fender Frontman 212R.. Has anyone owned either amp or used them?

I don't have experience with the AVT, but it doesn't have a great rep.
Don't get the Frontman; the distortion is terrible.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by acdclandon
This would work well too, I've heard these are pretty close to the classic great Fender cleans, plus you'd get Chorus as well.

Yeah, my guitar teacher has two of these he uses for lessons. The cleans are amazing considering it is SS and the distortion is pretty great too.
Frontman...not to be one of those bandwagon people, but would that be the same ****ty amp that my friend got in a squire starter kit?

yeah, it is. ok, here's what I think: the Marshall I'm not familiar with, but that fender plain blows. And you can do better than a solid state at that price range.

I've heard only good things about Blackheart

I've played this, it's great. Distortion is very...warm. If you have a cab/can get ahold of one, get this.
meh
Quote by michal23
Your guitar is fine. It's your amp that's most likely the problem. Sad, but true.

Metallicaaa!!!

Anyway, yea, I have a Spider, I've played my guitars on other amps, and the sustain on other amps is longer. Spiders are crap, I don't even know why Line 6 even let them out.
You'll be amazed at the sustain a tube amp, and a higher quality one at that will give you.

The other day I played my little Frontman 15 watt instead of my JCM 900 (headphone jack) and even though it has quite a bit more gain and still turned up decently loud, it lacked sustain big time.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Well if you are complaining that certain amps aren't where you live, where do you live so we can help with Craigslist and what not.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by acdclandon
You'll be amazed at the sustain a tube amp, and a higher quality one at that will give you.

The other day I played my little Frontman 15 watt instead of my JCM 900 (headphone jack) and even though it has quite a bit more gain and still turned up decently loud, it lacked sustain big time.

are you completely sold on solidstate? b/c acdc makes a very good point here. seems like everyone just kinda' forgot about those silly old tube amps earlier in the thread.
Page 1 of 2