Hello I'm new here, i'm planning to buy a new guitar. I prefer metal stuff, although I also play rock/punk rock with my band. I like bands like: a7x, thrice, chiodos, blessthefall etc.. I don't care if you think these bands are ****.

I think I prefer active pickups, but I dont like all these metal-looking guitars out there. The sexiest-looking guitar I've seen with active pickups, is the Jim Root Telecaster. I heard great stuff about this guitar, but I've also heard bad things about the factory set-up and the neck. I've also read in a review that this guitar is only for Drop B tuning..wtf is that true? i usually prefer standard and drop d tuning...if this is true then I won't buy the guitar..(although I'm in love with it)
I am also aware that this guitar is over-priced. I don't care, I like it very much. Jim Root is one of my favourite guitarists and I also like Slipknot, but I don't want this guitar for the Jim Root name but for the features. Unfortunately I can't try one 'cause I simply won't find any (im living in Greece )

So my question is: Is this a reliable guitar? Can I rely on it for 4-5 years? (Im planning to gig this guitar a lot) Will it fit my music style? Is the factory set-up really that bad (since it's made in mexico and all)??

I think that's all..

oh and please don't start with take an esp, take a schecter, take an ibanez (i've searched every guitar company but I made up my mind, this is the guitar I like in terms of sound and look)

sorry for my bad english/grammar

PS: i think i've posted this again but I think there was an error or sth and i couldn't find it, sorry if i douple-posted
What amp do you have?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
The guitar is fine. I mean it's a Fender, c'mon. It's not ONLY for that tuning; it is just made to be able to be tuned low.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
the tuning can also depend on what strings you get. i've heard that the Root Tele is pretty damn good, but the neck setup can easily be fixed i'm sure
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
It has a scale of 25.5", it's capable of doing any tuning any other 25.5" scale guitar is. It will suit you fine, but I can't comment on the quality of them, I've never played one.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
youll never get a new guitar that is set up the way you want it...its an awesome guitar, i have one...and you can get standard tuning out of it...you just have to take the time to tweak it to what is comfortable to you
He jim root is amazing my mate had to pry me away from buying one in january :-) very versitile guitar
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
that guitar is virtually bullet proof man it will last you at least 5 years.
i was at a red jumpsuit concert (dont ask i got free tickets i dont say no to free tickets) and the big fella was playing the root and at the end os the set he tried to smash the thing and it took him 8 tries to smash that thing. and im talking a big 6ft tall guy holding it right over his head and throwing it off the stage onto the concrete florring 5ft below him. so i think its a pretty tough guitar mate
There were a few reviews on Harmony Central that talked about sharp frets and whatnot but I think there were enough high reviews with high ratings to label that problem as either a bad review or an isolated instrument.

Active pickups are really meant for tube amps, so if you will be using a solid state amp you may want to try any guitar with an EMG 81/60 combo through a SS amp before you go ahead and buy it.

A lot of people seem hesitant about the guitar in general because it is MIM and not MIA like most signature models. Jim said in an interview that what he wanted was a guitar meant for guitar players, he didn't want Slipknot/Stone Sour plastered all over it. The decision to have it made in Mexico was done so the cost would come out under $1,000 so most kids could afford it. I've only had the chance to play both models at GC for about 20 minutes each and I really liked both of them. When you look at how much you're paying and what you are getting, it is a very good deal. It's a straight forward guitar with a bridge pickup that is the standard of metal today. Lots of people pair the 81 with the 85 but I really prefer the 60. It cleans up very well and has a nice warm sound. Jim only put a master volume and three way switch so there would be as little routing done on the body as possible. If you REALLY needed a tone pot, you could add one. The body is one big chunk of mahagony (little routing) so it tends be be a more on the warm side instead of being bright which is great for rhythm playing but don't look down on it's ability for leads. You get Schaller locking tuners which is a nice bonus too. Jim said he modeled the neck after 80's Charvels and I'd have to agree. I'm not a fan of the super thin Wizard II necks but I find that LP's and Schecter necks are a bit too thick. I think this neck draws a perfect medium. For a while, sites had incorrectly listed the fretboard radius as 9.5" but Jim said in an interview that it is indeed 12".

In my opinion, I couldn't think of a better guitar to gig with if you want EMG's and maple neck with 22 frets.
Quote by MarcoWasRight
There were a few reviews on Harmony Central that talked about sharp frets and whatnot but I think there were enough high reviews with high ratings to label that problem as either a bad review or an isolated instrument.

Active pickups are really meant for tube amps, so if you will be using a solid state amp you may want to try any guitar with an EMG 81/60 combo through a SS amp before you go ahead and buy it.

A lot of people seem hesitant about the guitar in general because it is MIM and not MIA like most signature models. Jim said in an interview that what he wanted was a guitar meant for guitar players, he didn't want Slipknot/Stone Sour plastered all over it. The decision to have it made in Mexico was done so the cost would come out under $1,000 so most kids could afford it. I've only had the chance to play both models at GC for about 20 minutes each and I really liked both of them. When you look at how much you're paying and what you are getting, it is a very good deal. It's a straight forward guitar with a bridge pickup that is the standard of metal today. Lots of people pair the 81 with the 85 but I really prefer the 60. It cleans up very well and has a nice warm sound. Jim only put a master volume and three way switch so there would be as little routing done on the body as possible. If you REALLY needed a tone pot, you could add one. The body is one big chunk of mahagony (little routing) so it tends be be a more on the warm side instead of being bright which is great for rhythm playing but don't look down on it's ability for leads. You get Schaller locking tuners which is a nice bonus too. Jim said he modeled the neck after 80's Charvels and I'd have to agree. I'm not a fan of the super thin Wizard II necks but I find that LP's and Schecter necks are a bit too thick. I think this neck draws a perfect medium. For a while, sites had incorrectly listed the fretboard radius as 9.5" but Jim said in an interview that it is indeed 12".

In my opinion, I couldn't think of a better guitar to gig with if you want EMG's and maple neck with 22 frets.

Hey,listen to him^

The tuning can be changed no matter what.
if you're to lazy to change the factory tuning,why buy a guitar?
how many people buy guitars that are in standard or the desired tuning they want from the factory? but it is a great guitar, I have played one, and they feel and sound nice.I'm a fan of slipknot, which is mainly what made me pick it up, but I'm not just some metal head guitar player, to be honest, I dont even play metal. I play mainly punk and blues and those were the two styles i played on it, and it worked fine for me.
I had it running through a marshall jcm at a samash just fiddled the knobs really quick and played it for about 35 minutes. If i wouldve had the money, I would have walked out of there with that guitar that day.
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
Cool, thanks for all the answers. Unfortunately for home practice I have a crappy solid state amp, but I think it'll do the job with a Metal Muff pedal (good high-gain pedals right?)

I usually gig with tube amps, in festivals and all..
Quote by drdninja
Cool, thanks for all the answers. Unfortunately for home practice I have a crappy solid state amp, but I think it'll do the job with a Metal Muff pedal (good high-gain pedals right?)

I usually gig with tube amps, in festivals and all..

mm you really want a good tube amp to have EMG's sounding at their best which you seem to for gigging but a better practice amp wouldn't hurt either