Which is best to use on the OD channel of a tube amp? I know it depends on what you want to get out of it, but in my case, I'm not looking for more gain, just easier legato and a bit of a bigger sound when I need it, you know what I mean? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing an OD pedal isn't what I'm looking for, so it's either an EQ or a compressor that I need. I'm not seeking a tighter sound, but if that comes along with what I want, then that's fine. So then I guess it comes down to an EQ pedal and a compressor. Which would be better for what I'm looking for?

And if it helps, I play a MIM Strat through a Classic 30.

Thank you in advance.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
The Equalizer can give you a "boost" if thats what you're looking for and a compresser/sustainer does exactly what its name implies.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
I'm not exactly looking for a boost. Like I said, just something that would make legato shine through clearer and as loud as picked notes, ya know?
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Quote by kosmic
I'm not exactly looking for a boost. Like I said, just something that would make legato shine through clearer and as loud as picked notes, ya know?

I think an od is what you need, at least it works for me, when I put my od in front of my dist, legatos and tapping are coming out more
But an OD pushes the tubes, which I wouldn't always like because I like my clean sound. I like the cleanest of clean tones, so no ODs... Although it would help on the OD channel, but even then, it would add gain, as well, which I don't really want. I'm guessing a compressor is my best bet, but I just want to get some more input. And if a compressor is what I need, I'm open to recommendations.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Quote by kosmic
But an OD pushes the tubes, which I wouldn't always like because I like my clean sound. I like the cleanest of clean tones, so no ODs... Although it would help on the OD channel, but even then, it would add gain, as well, which I don't really want. I'm guessing a compressor is my best bet, but I just want to get some more input. And if a compressor is what I need, I'm open to recommendations.

you might like a compressor and an EQ then. when i hit the GEQ on my mark on the clean channel, the legato comes out very nicely. It just depends on my setting of the eq tho . A compressor is kinda nice since it makes the notes kinda evenly played
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by kosmic

Ok, so you want good legatos on your clean channel, I can't help you on that sorry
Quote by kosmic

Either a

Xotic BB preamp
Xotic AC booster
Xotic RC Booster
Xotic AC Plus

One of then would do your good....hell all of them together make playing effortless.

EDIT: RC BOOSTER- it keeps your amp on clean with out pushing it a whole lot and make notes and chords shine(legato, sweep picking ect...) or Ac booster does the same but more compression and can keep your amp clean or push it the right amount.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Last edited by tenaciousjp at Jul 9, 2009,
a compressor/limiter is the effect you're describing. essentially, what it does is set a threshold (let's say 10db for ****s & giggles), and a ratio (4:1 sound ok?), and for every db that goes above the thresh, the ratio is applied. using the numbers above for example, you hit a chord that delivers a 22db signal. for every 4db above 10 (our thresh), only 1db will be added (our ratio), in this case +3db, for a total signal strength of 13db.
a limiter, to nutshell it, is the same thing backwards. that is, it sets a floor so that your legato runs won't lose signal strenght. there's more to it, but i gotta take off.
I was recently in the same exact situation. I bought an OD pedal, and it was not what I was looking for. My Boss EQ is what does the trick now. You can really do anything with it-- you can just boost the highs and mids, still keep the level down, and get those single-notes to shine. Then again, I really like my natural overdrive I get from my amp, and the EQ aids that. Maybe you're more into a sustainer....