hey guys i have a question, i was bored and started reading around on wikipdiea, and i came across pitch axis theory.
Link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_Axis_Theory
now i understood the concept but i was i little confused, because i think i was misreading it. now it says that when you are soloing or playing a proggression that the proggression should be in the mode of the chord backing it, and that each mode has chords that work with it. now i grasp that concept but what i had a problem with was does this mean that when playing a chord i transition to the mode representing that chord do i transiton to a whole other scale in the mode matching the root note of the chord.
the part that confused me was after i read the satriani section.
hopefully you understand my confusion.

can any one explain this a more clearly for me please i understand the concept but the page confuses me.

thank you
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
How is your knowledge of functional and diatonic harmony? If your answer is any one of "what's that?" or "not great", you aren't ready to be worrying about modes, let alone pitch axis. That said, pitch axis is little more than modulation between parallel modes. There's nothing complicated about it, and if you're having trouble with it, you aren't ready to be worrying about it. You haven't even given us any more information than "I don't get it", which makes it impossible for anyone to help you.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
well thank you for that. i guess i will study up on those topics first, but is there someting underying that that i must learn first. i understand theory, but i don't believe i understand it well enough because my response to your post was "what's that"
but thank you none the less at least you pointed me in the right direction
and sorry for not being clear if this helps.i understand it means to play the mode representing the chord (i.e. if its a maj 7 chord then the ionian mode would be the easiest to flow with the chord) but what confused me was that when it introduce satriani's chord proggression it said next to it that the modes involved where all in E. this is where i was slipped up becasue the following section i had interpreted it to mean that if you play a certain chord you play the mode of the said chord from the key the chord is in.
what i mean is say you have a c maj 7 chord then you play the ionian mode to progres with it but then the chord changes to a c min 7 chord so you play the aeolian mode of the C major scale. i believe this is why i got thrown off, but after thinking about it while posting this i think i understood it. just mulling it over in my head made me proccess it. but i am still going to study what you mentioned, i really want to create compelling music, and theory would be the best route to achieve this so anything i can learn to further myself always helps.
unfortunatlly i learned in a not so organized fashion (all knowledge before the begining of my last school year was from UG) so my knowledge is that of a dissonant one rather that one that is consonant (don't applaud me i looked up the oppisite to dissonance to make that pun)
but once again thank you.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
The only hard thing about pitch axis is getting your chord voicings to flow naturally and not sound out of place.Study some Satriani songs which use pitch axis like Not of this earth, Engines of creation,Lords of karma and satch boogie.

Quote by F8iscruel
well thank you for that. i guess i will study up on those topics first, but is there someting underying that that i must learn first. i understand theory, but i don't believe i understand it well enough because my response to your post was "what's that"
but thank you none the less at least you pointed me in the right direction
and sorry for not being clear if this helps.i understand it means to play the mode representing the chord (i.e. if its a maj 7 chord then the ionian mode would be the easiest to flow with the chord) but what confused me was that when it introduce satriani's chord proggression it said next to it that the modes involved where all in E. this is where i was slipped up becasue the following section i had interpreted it to mean that if you play a certain chord you play the mode of the said chord from the key the chord is in.
what i mean is say you have a c maj 7 chord then you play the ionian mode to progres with it but then the chord changes to a c min 7 chord so you play the aeolian mode of the C major scale. i believe this is why i got thrown off, but after thinking about it while posting this i think i understood it. just mulling it over in my head made me proccess it. but i am still going to study what you mentioned, i really want to create compelling music, and theory would be the best route to achieve this so anything i can learn to further myself always helps.
unfortunatlly i learned in a not so organized fashion (all knowledge before the begining of my last school year was from UG) so my knowledge is that of a dissonant one rather that one that is consonant (don't applaud me i looked up the oppisite to dissonance to make that pun)
but once again thank you.

Actually i'd say read the crusades articles and as Archeo said learn about harmony, leave modes for now.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 11, 2009,