I don't know if this is in the right forum, but I'll ask anyway. When I play ska I have trouble staying in time on the upbeats. When I play at home I put Guitar pro on or something and I stay in time no problem, but when I'm playing with my band I always fall out a little bit. How can I fix this?
metronome, slow the song down. play really slow as long as its exact then build up the normal speed.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Metronome as stated above. You will begin to develop a "metronome in your head" in a way. It's can be a little hard at first, but eventually you'll get it down and be able to keep time easier. The more you practice with it, the better your playing should get and easier it will be to keep in time. If you're like me and lazy about using the metronome more than 3 days at a time, you'll get something, but not as much as the guy who is using a metronome everyday for an hour or more a day.
Metronome, for sure. But you need to supplement it with something that actually makes you feel the rhythm - tap your foot, vocalize it (like um-cha-um-cha for 8th notes - insert syllables of choice!).
on the down beats strum downwards (but miss all the strings purposely) and then on the upbeats play the chord...
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat