Page 1 of 2
But I don't know what to get.

I play hard rock (GNR, AC/DC, like stuff) blues, little bit of metal and a little bit of clean stuff.

I'm open to anything.

Budget is about $300.

My guitar is SG-400. I have 1k pots if that matters.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Jul 9, 2009,
1k? Think you might mean 1M.

Anyway, with $300 you could just barely get a set of Bare Knuckle Pickups. Their site has sound clips of each pickup in their line. You'll have to search long and hard for a supplier if you don't live in the UK, though.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 9, 2009,
EMG's? Get one of the sets with pots and everything. Better for clean than most here would think but all you do is turn the knob down a bit.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I'm not interested in EMGs as I don't do that much metal.

As for the Bare Knuckles, which ones would you recommend?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Guitar_AXL
seymore duncan invaders

........ need i say more?

I don't think so.....
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

what is it a bad sugestion?
those pickups are excellent for GNR and AC/DC, and anyother metal and they do really REALLY good cleans
Last edited by Guitar_AXL at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by Guitar_AXL
what is it a bad sugestion?
those pickups are excellent for GNR and AC/DC, and anyother metal and they do really REALLY good cleans

I've heard that the Invaders aren't that good of a pick up.

I was thinking something a long the lines of Gibson pups or Alinco II Seymore.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Invaders are rather high output for the styles he suggested. I think he'd be better off looking for vintage output.

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
As for the Bare Knuckles, which ones would you recommend?

Can't really recommend one 'cause they have quite a few that fit the classic/hard rock genre. All I can really say is check out their samples.
hehe invaders not good, ppl are complete morons, though those pickups you have in mind are excellent, Synister gates uses seymore invaders and the quality is outrageously good, just make sure you have an amp that can take them hehe
Check out WCR and Rockmonkey Pickups.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Guitar_AXL
hehe invaders not good, ppl are complete morons, though those pickups you have in mind are excellent, Synister gates uses seymore invaders and the quality is outrageously good, just make sure you have an amp that can take them hehe

hehe "Synister gates" plays metalcore, I don't even play that much metal. Plus he's got a multi-thousand dollar rig. hehe
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Guitar_AXL

EDIT: You might check out some more vintage Duncans. I'm not too informed on pickups though.

EDITEDIT:I've played on Invaders now that I think about it. They were ok if you want a wall of gain but only ok.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I've heard that the Invaders aren't that good of a pick up.

I was thinking something a long the lines of Gibson pups or Alinco II Seymore.

You're right, the Invaders aren't that great.
I too vote for the Bareknuckle pups.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Guitar_AXL

synister gates is no where near the sound this guy wants.

just because you worship him doesn't mean he suits everyone.

as for my contribution, i'm not good with high end pickups, try dimarzio's maybe?
Last edited by tim_mop at Jul 9, 2009,
Can anyone give me specific models. Bare Knuckles has so many of them that I feel kinda overwhelmed. Plus, do they take USD or do I need to exchange USD for GBP?

Quote by tim_mop

as for my contribution, i'm not good with high end pickups, try dimarzio's maybe?

Edit: Thanks.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by tim_mop

They crossed my mind as well. They should offer a wide variety.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Try DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge and PAF Pro in the neck.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Seref
^^ Did you really sig that? Lol

No
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
hey look i dont worship syn just slash Darrel jimmi and morrello, besides i prefer zacky over syn and fyi I LOVE A WALL OF ****ING GAIN COMING AT ME, think im kidding, syn has a multi thousand dollar rig, yess thats true but you can still get his sound, if you know how to play right AND SO WHAT IF IVE BEEN PLAYING FOR LESS THAN A YEAR, just because you call me a n00b doesnt mean i am dont judge b4 you hear me play b/c youll be surprised at what sounds coome out of my semi crappy equipment, ok.... semi- ****ty equipment.... ok just almost down right ****ty... but that doesnt stop me
Please learn to type. On topic TS if you want to look at Bareknuckles I would recommend Blackdogs.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Guitar_AXL
hey look i dont worship syn just slash Darrel jimmi and morrello, besides i prefer zacky over syn and fyi I LOVE A WALL OF ****ING GAIN COMING AT ME, think im kidding, syn has a multi thousand dollar rig, yess thats true but you can still get his sound, if you know how to play right AND SO WHAT IF IVE BEEN PLAYING FOR LESS THAN A YEAR, just because you call me a n00b doesnt mean i am dont judge b4 you hear me play b/c youll be surprised at what sounds coome out of my semi crappy equipment, ok.... semi- ****ty equipment.... ok just almost down right ****ty... but that doesnt stop me

Cool story, bro.
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
What does everyone think of this?
http://store.gibson.com/Products/Pickups/Burstbucker/498T-Hot-Alnico-Bridge.aspx
It's a Gibson 498T "Hot Alnico" bridge P-up.

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Pickups/Burstbucker/IM57B-DB-Burstbucker-Type-2-Black.aspx
It's a Gibson Burstbucker 2 that I would pop in the neck.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

You'd probably want something from either the Vintage or Vintage Hot range. Also, I think Seymour Duncan will custom wind you a set to your specs for $300.

^ I would avoid Gibson pickups. They don't sound very good and are pretty overpriced. Maybe try the Seymour Duncan Alnico IIs? That's what Slash uses.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
You'd probably want something from either the Vintage or Vintage Hot range. Also, I think Seymour Duncan will custom wind you a set to your specs for $300.

^ I would avoid Gibson pickups. They don't sound very good and are pretty overpriced. Maybe try the Seymour Duncan Alnico IIs? That's what Slash uses.

Should they go in the neck or bridge?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Alnico IIs can be used in both the bridge and neck positions. You can go with something slightly hotter in the bridge though like a 59 or Pearly Gates.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
What does everyone think of this?
http://store.gibson.com/Products/Pickups/Burstbucker/498T-Hot-Alnico-Bridge.aspx
It's a Gibson 498T "Hot Alnico" bridge P-up.

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Pickups/Burstbucker/IM57B-DB-Burstbucker-Type-2-Black.aspx
It's a Gibson Burstbucker 2 that I would pop in the neck.

burstbucker II's aren't bad... "pro's" (or III's) are way hotter. the 498 treb's are ok (lightyears beyond the 490's... and i'm not a big fan of their soaps either, IMO)but I've used alot of gibson pu's and my personal favs are the '57 classics... not too hot, but hot enough, and clarity for days in the bridge. in the neck they do a warren haynes-y kinda thing, which i ****in love, but that's me. they're very warm, middy with a little bass... i ended up dialing my amps a little brighter than i had before i made the switch to '57s.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

You can add a cover but it will affect the tone, albeit slightly. You probably wouldn't be able to notice it. It smoothens the tone a bit but like I said, most people don't notice it. Just know that you'll have to solder the cover on but it shouldn't be any trouble.

Quote by GrisKy
burstbucker II's aren't bad... "pro's" (or III's) are way hotter. the 498 treb's are ok (lightyears beyond the 490's... and i'm not a big fan of their soaps either, IMO)but I've used alot of gibson pu's and my personal favs are the '57 classics... not too hot, but hot enough, and clarity for days in the bridge. in the neck they do a warren haynes-y kinda thing, which i ****in love, but that's me. they're very warm, middy with a little bass... i ended up dialing my amps a little brighter than i had before i made the switch to '57s.

I have the 57 classics in my 61 Reissue SG and I really don't like them at all. They sound very loose. I swapped the Burstbuckers from my Les Paul into my SG and it was a big improvement but not perfect. The 57s seemed to work better with my Les Paul than they did with my SG though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
You can add a cover but it will affect the tone, albeit slightly. You probably wouldn't be able to notice it. It smoothens the tone a bit but like I said, most people don't notice it. Just know that you'll have to solder the cover on but it shouldn't be any trouble.

Alright. It doesn't matter that it's a Gibson cover does it?

Anyways. My grand total is about $242.80, well under my budget.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Alright. It doesn't matter that it's a Gibson cover does it?

Anyways. My grand total is about $242.80, well under my budget.

Just check and make sure the measurements are right. You should be able to find a 59 with a cover.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Just check and make sure the measurements are right. You should be able to find a 59 with a cover.

Ok. Thanks a lot man, you've been the most help on this thread. I appreciate it.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Ok. Thanks a lot man, you've been the most help on this thread. I appreciate it.

No problem.

Also, did you have something else figured into that cost? The Alnico II with a Gold cover is $108.95 at Musician's Friend and the 59 with a Gold cover is $93.95.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
No problem.

Also, did you have something else figured into that cost? The Alnico II with a Gold cover is $108.95 at Musician's Friend and the 59 with a Gold cover is $93.95.

By 59 do you mean Pearly Gates? I added 7% sales tax as well..
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
By 59 do you mean Pearly Gates? I added 7% sales tax as well..

Oops. I forgot you said Pearly Gates. Nevermind, that seems about right.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Oops. I forgot you said Pearly Gates. Nevermind, that seems about right.

That's why I added a gold plated cover.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

WCR Darkburst

You will not be disappointed, Jim Wagner makes incredible pickups. The WCR Crossroads are one of my favorite pickups, and the Darkbursts are slightly overwound versions of them (I think Jim Wagner told me that the specs for the CR are 7.8k/8.2k, DB are 8.3k/8.7k).
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 10, 2009,
Page 1 of 2