I'm trying to negotiate my way around an idea that's been mulling around in my head for a while now...

I want to buy a custom-made eight-string guitar.

I find the ones currently on the market to be not how I want an eight string to be. There just isn't enough companies making them, in my eyes.
The ESP LTD FM-408 only has a 25" scale. The ESP LTD SC-608B doesn't come in any other colours or variations of pick-ups. The Ibanez RG-2228 has EMG 808's and looks too... RG-ish. I already own an Ibanez Apex2. The Agile Intrepids seem nearly perfect, but I live in Ireland and I have had no experience with Customs Tax or shipping from America.
There are other luthiers who trade in eight strings, but they are either too expensive (Blackmachine) or still don't have the specs that I want.

Anyway, I don't know what wood would be ideal for the 27" or 28" scale that I plan on getting. Any ideas?

Also, what pick-ups would suit my playing styles? I play progressive hard-rock with a lot of cleans.
The pick-ups need to be able to handle note separation very well. I use uncommon, spacey chords, so the need for articulation is imperative.

I have a Bareknuckle Nailbomb in mind for the bridge (coil-tapped) and a Bareknuckle of some kind for the middle position (also coil-tapped).
I wanted a single-coil in the neck as I don't tend to use humbuckers in top positions. But I have no idea of what model for that either.

The body shape is still very much in the air, also. I love the shape of a Telecaster, but they may not be practical for eight string baritones. The classic Stratocaster/RG shape would be lovely, either.
I'm quite partial to the Agile Intrepid eight string shapes.

And because of that, the bridge type is also up in the air. I'm totally open to new ideas. But I don't want a Floyd Rose.

Thanks very much, folks.
either. i haven't decided yet. i know i mentioned that i wanted to "buy a custom-made" guitar, but i should of mentioned that i was willing to build it as well.
Buying and building are very different things, if you buy from a decent luthier it will play amazingly, if you start building its going to be a few guitars before your skill reaches that being churned out by factories, either way both are expensive.

If you are going to buy I would go with Mike Sherman, has built a ton of eights and they're very nice, hes popular on ss.org but I've never had the pleasure of playing one, it would have to come from America though,

http://www.sherman-customs.com/

If you are going to build it its going to take a long time in patience and planning, do you have access to a work shop? I would probably suggest some really easy builds to get started with.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
oh yeah, this is a long distance plan.

cheers, nei, i'll take a look at that site, although shipping from america still worries me. i need to buy a cheap guitar from there and see what happens.

there is a strong chance that if i do build it myself, it will be mostly done with my brothers help, who has built one before. but still, i'm currently modifying my old squier, and i'm hoping to buy a routed body, a pre-made neck, pick-ups, tuners, bridge, etc. and put it together myself as some form of practise. then i'll make one from scratch, and if i enjoyed it and the outcome, i will make the eight string.
I would recommend perhaps a korina body with a maple and bubinga 5 piece neck, topped with a pao ferro board? Korina will add warmth while retaining clarity, and added clarity from the maple and bubinga, a slightly more evened attack form the pao ferro board (maybe even wenge). Definitely get custom Berknuckles made for the pickups, and individual string bridges would rule. Maybe the Agile shape with a more tele-ish headstock?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
What about a tele/interceptor hybrid type design?

Like the single cut tele shape with that awesome little carved part . That would be very cool with a bit of tweaking me thinks.
I've no experience myself but I've seen people say that mid to brighter woods are better for 8 strings because they are going so low that mahogany will just get muddy, but you would have to ask on ss.org or project guitar.

I would say dont messa round with pre routed bodies and ready made necks, you wont learn much you couldnt learn from taking your apex 2 apart and re building it.

Go straight into building, you could spend ages and ages perfecting your dream first build with amazing figured wood, but its a learning process you might make mistakes and so I would start with something easy, number of strings doesnt matter, but I wouldn't worry about the woods used etc, pick up some for cheap and use a solid finish, hard tail or tom bright is going to make things easier, although there is no need to cheap out on hardware.

If its a long term thing I would invest in some books now and start learning...

The first book to buy is...

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock

Another good book to get after you have read that is this one...

Building Electric Guitars by Martin Koch

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
I have a book that is forwarded by Brian May. I can't think of it's direct title right now.

Tele/Interceptor/Intrepid shape could work, as the only thing I don't like about the Telecaster shape is their lack of contours; the ones that mould into the body. It's cumbersome to hold, in other words.

As far as a five-piece neck is concerned, what are the benefits?
Where did you get those ideas from about the wood types? I'm not doubting you or anything, I'm just a curious little bastard.
5 piece neck provides better stability to handle all that tension. And it looks cool.

Korina is warm, but still brighter than mahogany. You may like alder too, as it's brighter and clearer. Maple and bubinga are two really good stable woods, and the combo is frequently used for bass necks, and considering you will be down in that register with an 8 string, it fits (plus, it's just more stable ). Pao ferro is a great fretboard wood with the smoothness of maple and a bright attack, but the sustain resembles rosewood more. Wenge is more like rosewood, but more porous, so it has a more satiny feel to it (also a wood used for bass guitars, but not uncommon in regular guitars).

You can give a tele contours
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I'm glad you didn't just spew off a load of bullshit and call it ice-cream. The fact that you explained why you felt those woods were apt is awesome to see.

Cheers for the help. I'll look into those woods.
Will the prices be more or less than the standard options?

I'm quite settled on Bareknuckles, but the tuners and bridges still elude me. They always have. What is suggested?
If its an 8 string you dont have a lot of options, I dont really recommend a straight scale guitar (e.g. just one scale length) but if you go with that then hipshop make an 8 string bridge, no one makes multiscale bridges (Khalar make a trem I think. but you dont want that.)

Bubinga I dont think is too expensive, Pau Ferro will probably be a little more than standard rosewood, and korina is more because people label it as a great tonewood, if you can get it as timber it will be similar to mahogany. Pretty much anything you buy as a tonewood or from a guitar builder supplier will be more expensive than the same wood from a lumber yard.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
If its an 8 string you dont have a lot of options, I dont really recommend a straight scale guitar (e.g. just one scale length) but if you go with that then hipshop make an 8 string bridge, no one makes multiscale bridges (Khalar make a trem I think. but you dont want that.)
What do you mean by that?
^I'm assuming he means a multiscale like on a Blackmachine F8

one scale length for the low strings, merging into another for the high strings
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
meh

I dunno. I've never played one. I know one person who has one, and I'm not personally fond of the looks. Why do you not recommend a standard, one-length scale?
well personally I've never played either type

But the consensus seems to be that it preserves the low range needed for the low strings with lower tension, while keeping the high strings on a scale length that doesn't compromise their playability.

Also according to Ormsby they are more ergonomic since they follow the natural sweep of your wrist. Not sure how much truth there is but if Ormsby says it I'm liable to believe it
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Only one scale length is bad on a 8 string because you will end up with un even tension

e.g 25.5" or 27" scale length would give you a far to muddy low F# and a 28" or 30" will give you a shrill high e string, you get a uneven responce from the pickups.

You can compensate by changing your string guage on one scale length but it gets a bit silly on an eight string

e.g. a lower scale length of 27" you can put like a 0.80 low F# on to give you a tight sound.

multiscale gives you a long bottom scale length, and so a tight low F# and a shorter upper scale length to relieve tension in the high strings.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Last edited by Absent Mind at Jul 10, 2009,
Are there many demonstrations of that design?

I see what you are saying, definitely, but the idea that all those eight string musicians who spent £3000 on Blackmachine B8's when it doesn't even sound tight - the whole idea of an eight string - is frightening and depressing.
Well they either have shorter scale lengths and compensate with heavy strings, or long scale lengths and just put up with the shrill high strings. But black machine do make multiscales

What do you mean 'demonstrations of that design'?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
Well they either have shorter scale lengths and compensate with heavy strings, or long scale lengths and just put up with the shrill high strings. But black machine do make multiscales

What do you mean 'demonstrations of that design'?

I think he means other multiscales.
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Last edited by highlordmugfug at Jul 10, 2009,
Just search 'fanned frets' or 'multiscale guitar' on google and you'll find plenty of examples (it wouldn't let me edit my last post for some reason...)
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs