I have read a lot about Pro Tools, could someone tell me what it actually is? Is it just a more high tech version of Reaper?
No matter what you put inside that thing, St. Anger will come out.

You can't say you haven't been warned.
Quote by Ricebag Darrel
No matter what you put inside that thing, St. Anger will come out.

You can't say you haven't been warned.

What?! I presume you mean that in a bad way.
What DAW are you actually using?
Pro Tools is great. I haven't got it here, but I've used it in the studio at school and I think it's an amazing program.

Anyway, Pro Tools is a DAW, like Reaper, to an extent, yes. But much more high-end and can do alot more. Alot of studios use it, although to my knowledge, most studios use Cubase, because Pro Tools only works with M-Audio hardware.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Carl nailed it.

First thank you for being the first guitarist I've ever come across who doesn't just assume what all this recording stuff does.

Pro Tools is a DAW, just like Reaper. The difference is that it's highly expensive, has got "better" graphics, has it's own formats and is amazingly popular. A bit like Windows. Unfortunately, as Carl said, it only works with certain hardware which is ridiculous. If you have that sort of money get Logic Studio or, if you're stuck with Windows, Cubase.
i've been lucky to work with pro tools through my school. and all i have to say that in all honesty its got many things inside of it, it can make anyone into almost anything (think the way T-pain gets his voice to sound the way it does) its basically a powerhouse of effects. and is much nicer on the eye than alot of free ware. but, it is very confusing to use the first couple of times you tinker around with it, unless you read the book i suppose, it is great for direct to recording though because you can run everything through the box (which come with it for 500 i think) my opinion on it is that it is a buy becauase it doesn't rely on the computer all that much when it come to sound qaulity because of the M-audio box it requires so it wouldn't be affected by what the computer lacks in that department (as far as i know though so please... don't quote that without confirmation)
its basically a self supporting recording studio that requires only a computer to house it, at least that is how i see it
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by Carl6661
What?! I presume you mean that in a bad way.
What DAW are you actually using?
Pro Tools is great. I haven't got it here, but I've used it in the studio at school and I think it's an amazing program.

Anyway, Pro Tools is a DAW, like Reaper, to an extent, yes. But much more high-end and can do alot more. Alot of studios use it, although to my knowledge, most studios use Cubase, because Pro Tools only works with DIGIDESIGN hardware.

Lol, fixed.

Proper pro tools is digi only. M-powered is m-audio. LE is with mbox's.

Most studios use pro tools or logic. Never been in one, or even heard of one that runs cubase. Not to say it's not good..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by muckypup
So, is pro tools better than cubase or is cubase better than pro tools?

Better is very much an opinion. Personally I cant stand either.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I'm used to working in Logic Pro. They all work a little differently. The GUI is the main different. Sound quality won't really differ.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Carl6661

because Pro Tools only works with M-Audio hardware.

woah not to be a dick, but that is the most wrong thing i've heard yet.

protools M powerd only works with m-audio hahaha.,

also protools is a great daw, its the most professional daw out there, most labels require their bands to track in a protools studio, joey sturgis is having to switch to protools because of this, sadly

protools is ****ing amazing for editing, its the only daw designed for audio editing,

but that doesn't mean you can't use reaper/logic/cubase/sonar/ for editing, just protools is the best out all of those for editing,

there is many levels of protools, le which is like 200 bucks on 36 stereo tracks, and then hd which is like 2,000 dollars and blahblah plus protools uses rtas plugs only so no vst. sadly but you can get a vst wrapper
Quote by willieturnip
Lol, fixed.

Proper pro tools is digi only. M-powered is m-audio. LE is with mbox's.

Most studios use pro tools or logic. Never been in one, or even heard of one that runs cubase. Not to say it's not good..

the one's I've been in (one with an old band, it did seem a pretty 'budget' studio though... and a couple on school trips a while ago when i was doing music technology) we're all cubase, haha.

i never knew about the Digidesign bit, i've heard of it, but never looked into it atall, i just presumed everything was m-audio. so thanks for correcting that. it gives me one more reason to stab the 'studio tech' at school for having lots of crappy gear and like, an amazing computer.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jul 9, 2009,
So, Pro Tools can't use VST plugins? this is strange. What is the best and must high tech version of pro tools? there seems to be so many different versions.
Quote by muckypup
So, Pro Tools can't use VST plugins? this is strange. What is the best and must high tech version of pro tools? there seems to be so many different versions.

ProTools HD is the real version, but it is seriously expensive.
LE and M-Powered are essentially cripple-ware, i would stay well away from them.
(i've used all 3 versions in college for the past few years)

and ProTools uses the RTAS plugin format, which the vast majority of commercial plugins are compatible with.
ProTools does not deliver better quality because of the hardware, unless you're using DSP cards of course. It's just that ProTools has become the "industry standard", but in reality ProTools, Cubase and Logic are all the same.

Many of the smaller studios use Cubase, it's just the massive ones labels like Universal and Sony BMG use frequently that feel they have to use it (industry standard again...). Labels don't care how their CD's are mixed, they don't know **** about technology.

protools is ****ing amazing for editing, its the only daw designed for audio editing,

but that doesn't mean you can't use reaper/logic/cubase/sonar/ for editing, just protools is the best out all of those for editing,

ProTools isn't much better than the others, and in fact Recycle and Live have more features when it comes to editing audio.
What's the difference between Pro Tools and Logic? I've worked with Reason, DP4, and Logic. Haven't gotten a chance to touch Pro Tools yet though.
There be no shelter here.
Quote by Union Of V
It's just that ProTools has become the "industry standard", but in reality ProTools, Cubase and Logic are all the same.

The reality is that Digidesign were 15 years ahead of the pack. back when computers were too under-powered and un-stable to be used for recording, ProTools provided a stable DSP driven platform that allowed Digital Audio to take flight.

also, there are differences between the major DAWs, not in terms of sound but in terms of features and ease of use. Editing in ProTools slays, end of discussion there. but then on the other had, if you dont have 20,000 bucks to drop on a HD rig then you are stuck with bull**** like LE and MP. each DAW has its advantages.

Quote by Union Of V

Labels don't care how their CD's are mixed, they don't know **** about technology.

this is true only up to a point. eventually, at a certain level people start looking for ProTools compatibility when dealing with serious projects.
its unfortunate, but when the question "do you have protools?" pops up, there is only one right answer.

again, this is how things are in the serious audio industry, and no-one on UG needs to be worried about it.

Quote by courtkid1012
What's the difference between Pro Tools and Logic? I've worked with Reason, DP4, and Logic. Haven't gotten a chance to touch Pro Tools yet though.

I feel that (on the level we are talking about) Logic is a much better package and far more useful than ProTools. just use whatever gets the job done.

the only advantage ProTools has over Logic is compatibility and its better at the "uber-serious" editing side of things.
Quote by Union Of V
ProTools does not deliver better quality because of the hardware, unless you're using DSP cards of course. It's just that ProTools has become the "industry standard", but in reality ProTools, Cubase and Logic are all the same.

Many of the smaller studios use Cubase, it's just the massive ones labels like Universal and Sony BMG use frequently that feel they have to use it (industry standard again...). Labels don't care how their CD's are mixed, they don't know **** about technology.

ProTools isn't much better than the others, and in fact Recycle and Live have more features when it comes to editing audio.

i don't see cubase or logic or reaper with beat dective

which is used for perfect drum qunatization, i just really think that protools kills for editing, its work flow is designed for editing.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
i don't see cubase or logic or reaper with beat dective

which is used for perfect drum qunatization, i just really think that protools kills for editing, its work flow is designed for editing.

Meh..

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9788798
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Does Logic only work if you have a keyboard? I haven't found a way to get it to work if you don't have a keyboard with all those built in sounds. Not sure if this is the best place to ask. With protools can you use it without a keyboard too? It would be great if they could combine the whole instrument part of Reason and put that into Logic.
There be no shelter here.