Marshall dsl401 vs marshall dsl50 vs orange rocker 30 combo

I am looking for a good tube amp that is enough loud for gigs with a drummer(band), and that has a nice sound...
i want a sound like blink 182...(pop punk/alternative rock)

like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0AelxR4qh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XeWDi3JA8c
(heres blink 182 playing live) ^

which of these amps would be the best for me??

oh...i want an amp that i could play at my home too...

i think i could play the dsl401 at home, because it has a master volume, but the other amps dont have it...so i dont know...
Rocker 30
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Say Ocean
dsl50 > rocker 30 > dsl401

now if you're talking rockerverb 50, things are different.

Word, bro, word.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
but can i play dsl50 at home or is it going to be too loud for home use??
i mean it doesnt have a master volume, so it sucks...
dsl 401 is cheaper and it has a master volume...so i dont know...

if i would put celestion vintage 30 in dsl 401 or connect it to a cab...is it going to be the same as dsl50 with a cab??
Last time I checked, the DSL50 did have a master volume. It may not be labeled 'master', but that doesn't mean it isn't. High gain tube amps will always be on the loud side for home use. If you want to use them to their full potential that is. But don't let that stop you.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
It looks like he's right, the DSL50 and DSL100 don't have master volumes. You can try a TSL60, I know it has a master volume (the TSL100 doesn't though). The DSL401 should be enough for you though.
Last time I checked... all three of those amps had master volumes...

The DSL401 is a lot weaker sounding than the DSL50 IMO. It runs EL-84s instead of EL-34s and just isn't as "big" sounding.

I'd probably go for the Rocker if the heaviest stuff you play is Blink 182. But the DSL has more gain on tap if you need anything more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by KingJustinian25

Yes?

It has two separate master volumes for each channel. It's not the same kind of master volume as defined by the 401, but it does the same thing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes?

It has two separate master volumes for each channel. It's not the same kind of master volume as defined by the 401, but it does the same thing.

It has two channel volumes, no master volumes. I mean it might technically be master volume, but I think he wants it like this.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=TSL60&pageType=SEEIT

There is a channel volume and gain (on the crunch/drive channels), then there's a master volume also.
yeah, there is no master volume...

is it possible to play the dsl 50 at home, and how does it sound??
i mean i live in an apartment and i want it to sound at least decent at lower volumes...
Quote by KingJustinian25
It has two channel volumes, no master volumes. I mean it might technically be master volume, but I think he wants it like this.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=TSL60&pageType=SEEIT

There is a channel volume and gain (on the crunch/drive channels), then there's a master volume also.

Yes, but it does the same thing, you just have to adjust each one separately when increasing the volume, so that each channel remains at the same volume level.

It still allows you to adjust the gain (preamp) and then gradually increase the actual volume of the amp. Master volume amps are made so they can get gain out of the amp (using the preamp/gain knob) without killing everyone within a 100ft radius of it.

Quote by scream92
yeah, there is no master volume...

is it possible to play the dsl 50 at home, and how does it sound??
i mean i live in an apartment and i want it to sound at least decent at lower volumes...

Almost all modern-day high gain amplifiers are meant to sound good at low volumes. It will sound fine, better than the 401.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes, but it does the same thing, you just have to adjust each one separately when increasing the volume, so that each channel remains at the same volume level.

It still allows you to adjust the gain (preamp) and then gradually increase the actual volume of the amp. Master volume amps are made so they can get gain out of the amp (using the preamp/gain knob) without killing everyone within a 100ft radius of it.

But the DSL50 has volume/gain only. The TSL and DSL401 still has channel volume and gain, plus a master volume. On the TSL you can turn channel volume down real low then the master volume real high for power tube distortion and it's still at bedroom levels, along with a gain knob in addition to that. (I'm not 100% sure but I think it's like that... I did it on a TSL602 and it sounded a lot better.)
is the dsl50 going to be louder than dsl 401??

and is it going to be louder than my fender fm212r lol ??

my fender has 100w of power, but its solid state and it is really loud, but i can play with it at home...
Quote by scream92
is the dsl50 going to be louder than dsl 401??

and is it going to be louder than my fender fm212r lol ??

my fender has 100w of power, but its solid state and it is really loud, but i can play with it at home...

It will be around the same volume, the difference between 40W and 50W, especially of the same amp, is pretty much inaudible. The 50 might sound a little louder as the cab you'd being using would most likely have more speakers, so the sound would get spread out a little more evenly.

And yes, louder than your Fender.

The DSL50 sounds really good at low volumes and loud. I used one in a studio a few weeks back and I was extremely impressed by it. MUCH better than the 401 and the TSLs, I liked it better than the DSL100 as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks for all the answers!

but i still have a few questions - does the cabinet size actually increases the volume?? i mean, is there a difference in volume between 2x12 cab and a 4x12 cab??

if i will buy a dsl 50 then i will need a cab, and i dont have much money for the cabinet, so i was thinking about buying a harley benton cab with 2x12 celestion v30's in it...
what do you think? does the cabinet affect the sound of the amp and is dsl 50 going to sound good through a cheap cab??
I'd also go with the DSL50. Whilst I own a DSL401 and love it to bits, when I tried a DSL50 it sounded more ballsier than the DSL. The DSL sounds good at low volumes too I find, so I imagine that the DSL50 might.

As Matrix pointed out there are a difference in valves too, which makes a difference. So yeah tbh I'd go with the 50 if you can get a decent cab, if not, DSL401, more gain on tap than the Rocker 30.

Edit: If you can't spent too much on a cab you could possibly get a DSL401, swap the EL84's to EL34's and swap the stock speaker to a V30, that should make the DSL sound better and almost as good as a DSL50 through a not so good cab.
Last edited by AdamDK at Jul 9, 2009,
Guys, no.

Rocker 30 doesn't equal punk gain and nothing else, it equals British Thrash WITHOUT a boost. Like Slayer.

I'd probably go for the Rocker if the heaviest stuff you play is Blink 182. But the DSL has more gain on tap if you need anything more.

Also, I think the Rocker 30 does Alternative and Punk better than the other options. Ballsy thrash is pretty good too. What it will not do:

>Death Metal
>Heavy Metal/Metalcore/Nu Metal
>Clean Cleans (always a bit of breakup or they're a bit boring)

So TS, I would surmise that you take the Rocker 30 very seriously if you play mainly punk and alternative, with a bit of Blues and or NWOBHM/Thrash.

NOTE: Although both Marshall and Orange amps are British voiced, you can pretty much tell which one you need from whether you like darker or brighter British tone. Marshall = Brighter (mid bark), Orange = (mid growl) generally speaking.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Jul 9, 2009,
DSL50 is a great choice and will sound fine through a 2x12. I personally own the DSL401 and love it. I personally don't notice a big difference between it and the DSL50 that I tried at GC before buying the 401, and recommend you try to play both to see if you like the 50 a lot better or not. The 401 is a good deal more affordable if budget is an issue, and is more than loud enough as well as sounding good quiet, but the 50 I'm sure is similar.

You can't go wrong either way, and if you would rather have the stack configuration and upgrade to a larger cab in the future the 50 is your best bet. You certainly will be happy even with a 2x12 under it and will probably never have to change it. However, if you want it cheaper without sacrificing much tonally (if anything depending on how you hear it) the 401 will make you happy.

Good luck!
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Guys, no.

Rocker 30 doesn't equal punk gain and nothing else, it equals British Thrash WITHOUT a boost. Like Slayer.

I never said it couldn't do it. The DSL is voiced more modernly and will do heavier music better, is my point.

The Rocker can certainly get more gain than punk rock, but if I was going for thrash or anything heavier, I'd choose the DSL. The Rocker 50 though, is another story.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Orange Rocker 30 is, in my eyes, perfect if you are looking for a heavy, natural, but slightly compressed, British blues tones. Because of that, you'll find it can also cope with certain Metal acts and certain Punk acts.
I'd personally chose the Orange over the Marshall because I think it has a better tone, period. Whether the Marshall will suit Blink more so than the Rocker is totally up for debate and taste. But in terms of distortion levels, the Marshall has a teeny bit more because it is louder and more raspy. There are, no doubt, other reasons as well.

If you are looking for more clean headroom, the DSL50 will obviously be more appropriate, but if you want more cojones to your tone, the Orange will certainly make em' bigger.