I have been really slowing down my technique to improve my sound, so that it isn't so muddy. I know this sounds stupid, but I figured out that if you play a note with heavy distortion and a lot of treble (because that's how i set up my amp), it will cause all the other strings to ring out unless you have your picking hand lying on the other strings to mute them. So, I have a question. When I pinch, I can't do so without lifting my picking hand up off the strings, especially because some pinches are even on the higher ends of the string and it's impossible, and therefore everytime I pinch, all my other strings ring out. I have single coil pickups, and I get a hum but I know that even with a humbucker, the other strings will ring out if you don't mute them. The only time I pinch and I don't get a lot of noise out of the other strings are when it's on the low E because obviously my fretting hand is muting every other string under the E. What should I do then? How should I pinch?
Last edited by halo2masterk at Jul 9, 2009,
String damping. It's just muting with your fretting hand. Have you ever seen something like this?

-3-----------------
-3-----------------
-x-----------------
-x-----------------
-x-----------------
-3-----------------

Chances are you have. You just mute those with your fingers and part of your fretting hand if necessary. I'm sure you've done it countless times. It may be harder to do a pinch harmonic that way, but it's possible and you can achieve to mute the strings to play that more cleanly.
Yeah I know what you mean. That is something I haven't worked on very much though. It makes it difficult to get a good vibrato on the pinch if you damp the strings, but I'm sure with practice I'll get better. Thanks a ton though!
I think Freepower (or someone...) has a bunch of vids on youtube and one of the vids is specifically about good muting technique. Can someone help this guy out with a link if you know what I'm talking about?