Wondering how many out there play both acoustic and electric guitars? What makes you pick up one over the other? Is it a summer/winter thing ? I find myself that I play acoustic in the summer and more electric in the winter because I tend to keep my acoustic humidifying in the case in the winter.

Bob J
I'd say I'm pretty evenly split between the two. They can both do things the other can't. When I'm writing I tend to use mostly my acoustic, and sometimes an unplugged electric, but when I'm just jamming and ad libbing stuff I tend to go electric, mainly just to have more fun with effects and what not.

EDIT - I also play acoustic to build my hands up and then going back to electric feels so easy!
Last edited by Mr E at Jul 9, 2009,
if were bbqin or just hangin out with a bunch of my friends, smoking etc ill bust out my acoustic. its just relaxing; it suits the atmosphere. electric is if im jammin with a bass and drums or working on technique, or practicing
Quote by Le_Bunny
LE shoop? It must be rad. And yes, I see potential.

P.S. nobody google 'man train'.

It depends on the song I want to play, and the mood I'm in.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I play both -- I have two very nice electrics and two kind of crappy acoustics, but most of the time I'd rather just pick up an acoustic and strum.
Hi, I'm Peter
It really just depends on the mood I'm in. Lately I've been in more of an acoustic mood because I haven't had a band/group to jam with for a while. I've also been enjoying acoustic music a lot more recently as well.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'm split between the two.

Mostly i'll pick up my acoustic if i hear a good country song i want to learn. I always bring my acoustic out and jam around the campfire with friends and it's just fun to be able to strum out a song.

I'll pull out my electric if the song calls for an electric.

Mainly though it depends on what kind of song i want to learn, but if i'm learning scales and what not i'll use my acoustic because i can easily sit with it while looking stuff up on the computer.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
I play both. As you become more competent at them you'll find that they are very different instruments, despite the fundamentals being the same. One of the main advantages of an acoustic guitar is it's portability and that it sounds good by itself. I've always found that an electric guitar always sounds too thin without a band. On the other hand an electric guitar is more versatile - it can create a larger range of sounds.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I play both, and play both very differently.

When it come to the elctric guitar, my biggest influences would be Eric Johnson, David Gilmour, Carl Verheyen, Scott Henderson, (not so much Page, I kinda regret the name), Brett Garsed, etc. I try to play in a "rock" idiom that people can find approachable, but I've always been quite technical in my playing and composing. I'm also a real tonephreak, almost to the point where it damaged my playing. I stopped playing as much as I once did because I could never quite get anything to sound "right," even after A/Bing cable brands, capacitors, etc.

When it comes to the acoustic, I usually play in alternate tunings, with some "modern" acoustic techniques. Favourite players would include Michael Hedges and John Martyn. Composing on the acoustic is a very different experience to composing for the electric, and I've also begun to sing while while playing acoustic.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.

Acoustic AND electric all year 'round, baby! Of course the acoustic side is used through our practice PA or the PA at gigs
Im still learning and my electric is very easy on the fingers so I can practice for hours. I love my acoustic dreadnought sound but I get very sore fingers after an hour of practice
Quote by Bright Light

Acoustic AND electric all year 'round, baby! Of course the acoustic side is used through our practice PA or the PA at gigs

That's one sexy Dr. Z dude....................
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I actually play electric most of the time, but all my guitar lessons were on classical, and i quite enjoy playing it. Classical and falmenco are actually harder than anything i have tried on the electric, and it sounds cool to have some flamenco licks to show around, it makes you seem cooler because i know very few guys who can play classical or who know any flamenco or classical music. i'm not that good on itl (the hardest thing i know is "asturias"), but i still like to play it form time to time. However, since i stoped taking lessons i have become sh*ttier
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jul 11, 2009,
Well, for one, I don't have to plug it in and set up my amp to play it. I can just pick it up and strum away. Secondly, I just think it sounds so much better than my electric. And finally, I just love the feel of it under my hands, the way the strings feel, the extra strength you need to play it. It's just so much more natural.
I play both classical, flamenco, and metal/rock like stuff with my band. I'm working on Jazz now for myself.

Quote by ldnovelo
I actually play electric most of the time, but all my guitar lessons were on classical, and i quite enjoy playing it. Classical and falmenco are actually harder than anything i have tried on the electric, and it sounds cool to have some flamenco licks to show around, it makes you seem cooler because i know very few guys who can play classical or who know any flamenco or classical music. i'm not that good on itl (the hardest thing i know is "asturias"), but i still like to play it form time to time. However, since i stoped taking lessons i have become sh*ttier

Asturias is not flamenco it's a classical piece by Isaac Albeniz if I remember correctly. Neither does flamenco have any 'licks', whoever told you that needs a wakeup punch.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jul 11, 2009,
I started on a very cheap electric about a year ago self taught so far but then i started playing my fathers classical guitar and it's very nice i enjoy playing classical but it's very difficult but fun and now i plan on getting lessons but i cant decide for which one. =(
Electric and Classical (I only like acoustic 12 strings). It depends on where I'm playing, usually I bring my Classical to school and play electric at home, but lately I've been playing more acoustic.