Does anyone use a capo on their bass??

Thought it might be a nice way to freshen things up, any experiences??
Unless your playing chords or some weird open string thing, It'd be kinda pointless, But I've seen people doing it.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
does anyone know if you just use a guitar one or are there special bass capos?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by biga29
Unless your playing chords or some weird open string thing, It'd be kinda pointless, But I've seen people doing it.

So do you also find it pointless to use a capo on guitar?

I think it is extremely valid if you're going to a higher (relatively) key and the song depends on a lot of open dronings. Say you're playing in F# and you do not have a five string and you need to also reach a lot of "past 12" notes. If the song relies on the fact that you can both drone that low F# and play a melody line up there, then how are you going to do it? (Even yet, if a five string was involved, I wonder which type would be more at ease)

Not write like that? Sure, simple solution. Create a node down there for F#? Seems better to me
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by gilly_90
does anyone know if you just use a guitar one or are there special bass capos?

I dont know if they make special ones, but you could always use a rubber-band and a pencil.
Quote by lordofthefood1

I think it is extremely valid if you're going to a higher (relatively) key and the song depends on a lot of open dronings. Say you're playing in F# and you do not have a five string and you need to also reach a lot of "past 12" notes. If the song relies on the fact that you can both drone that low F# and play a melody line up there, then how are you going to do it? (Even yet, if a five string was involved, I wonder which type would be more at ease)

So basically, You'd have the capo on the second fret, chugging an F# while playing a bunch of stuff up high, so... You'd be playing open notes, Which is exactly what I said....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by biga29
I dont know if they make special ones, but you could always use a rubber-band and a pencil.

I'm drawing a mental blank when trying to visualise how I could do that
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
I'm drawing a mental blank when trying to visualise how I could do that

Like This
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
Like This

wow, nice I hadn't even thought of making my own. Thanks

Quote by Alex Vik
I still haven't found a use for it on guitar, so, no.

I like to switch quickly between C# and D standard
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by biga29

So basically, You'd have the capo on the second fret, chugging an F# while playing a bunch of stuff up high, so... You'd be playing open notes, Which is exactly what I said....

Oh, I can't read... Anyway, even if it were in a relative box, I'd still want to Capo because of my weak fingers
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i occasionally pop my Stratocaster's capo on my bass, but not for long periods of tiem because i don't want it to mold to the shape of bass strings then be useless for guitar, y'know?
Try adding more delay.
Mark Hoppus used one live to play "I Miss You" at Pepsi Smash:P I personally don't use one but :P
Arcane Echo

Just call me Ethan
I hate retuning while playing. A capo solves the half step to standard tuning thing real quick. I play with a guy that sings a half step down and a girl that sings at standard. It's either retune, swap instruments, or use a capo. I'm lazy.
Quote by Alex Vik
I still haven't found a use for it on guitar, so, no.

It's for inversatile singers you silly nilly...but really truth be told I don't use them but if you've got an inversatile singer then I suppose I could see it's usefulness...though I have an inversatile singer and still don't use one. To each his own my children
Quote by barefootboy
I hate retuning while playing. A capo solves the half step to standard tuning thing real quick. I play with a guy that sings a half step down and a girl that sings at standard. It's either retune, swap instruments, or use a capo. I'm lazy.

Lazy? or GENIUS, my friend.
Try adding more delay.
Quote by tubatom868686
Never found anything on bass with one that I couldnt play without one

this makes no sense
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by barefootboy

I own a capo and this is the main reason I use it. Except my guitarist likes to play Hendrix songs in drop tuning so if I don't want to switch basses, this is a god send.

I use a standard guitar capo on my Ibanez and it works rather well.
Quote by gilly_90
this makes no sense

How doesnt it? The only 3 songs Ive ever even see call for a bass capo could easily be played with no capo
I love using a capo. I;ve got a few tapping pieces high up on the fretboard, so I shove a capo across the A, D and G strings at a fret relevant to the key I'm playing in (let's say, 9th fret) and leave the E and B strings open. On the capo'd strings, I can then pull off to the capo'd note, taking one job away from my fingers to concentrate on other things in the song.
Hi, I am relatively new to serious bass playing in our praise band for church, and we would like to sound like the original song as much as we can. I have learned and practiced ( some complicated fingering) of different songs in the key that they were made in, and I have the problem of playing them in the changed key that the praise band is playing it in, I used the capo to take me up to that key so I don't have to do the math in my head as I play. It's all about making a beautiful noise.