I might be getting a Fender Strat at a local retail store if they can repaint it to look brand new cause it looks like crap but I tried it and I like the feel. If they can repaint it and make it look brand new then I'm thinking of Seymour Duncan Hot Rails single coil sized humbucking pickups with dual blade coils. I was wondering if this was the pickup.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SHR1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup?sku=300300#new

Also if they can't repaint I'm getting a custom made one by Fender and it will have 2 single coils and a humbucker the other one I said above would have 3 single coils. I was thinking of the pickups for this guitar would be Fender Custom Shop Texas Special Strat Pickups and for the humbucker a DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion Pickup. The first guitar was $989 without it being fixed up and just stock pickups. The 2 single coil and humbucker Strat would be probably $2000.

Any suggestions for which I should go for I like blues, heavy metal, rock, classical guitar but I don't play classical guitar. Favourite band is Iron Maiden and they use those pickups and I like the tone of them. Also I heard the Hot Rails didn't have a nice clean tone and I play clean a lot for practicing and stuff.
Don't worry about getting the guitar re-painted. The shop will likely charge you a fortune and not make much of a job of it. Just get it as it is - all those little dinks give it character.

Grab the guitar and replace the bridge pickup with a single coil sized humbucker and you'll be laughing.
Quote by greggybhoy
Don't worry about getting the guitar re-painted. The shop will likely charge you a fortune and not make much of a job of it. Just get it as it is - all those little dinks give it character.

Grab the guitar and replace the bridge pickup with a single coil sized humbucker and you'll be laughing.

I would like it looking new it looks ****ty like the neck lost some of its colour and white pickguard is little yellowish. I will ask the guys there tonight when I go for my guitar lesson.
Repainting it would kill the resale value in case you planned to chuck it down the line.

As always I recommend Lace Sensor pickups for Strats, but if you want a humbucker a Super Distortion would be great, but it's a very hot pickup.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by ColinMc
I would like it looking new it looks ****ty like the neck lost some of its colour and white pickguard is little yellowish. I will ask the guys there tonight when I go for my guitar lesson.

Strats look better when they're beat up. Thats why Fender made the Road worn series, and have a relic option for their Custom Shop Guitars. I don't think you should repaint it. As mentioned before, it would cut the resale value. If you care about how it looks enough to re-paint it, just don't buy it then

For pickups, I like the lace sensors, but a hot rails or a stacked single-coil in the bridge would be good too.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by ColinMc

That's supposed to happen to the neck. It means it's played in and will feel better. Do not even think about refinising the neck.

Thinking about it, you don't really deserve this guitar. Just get an Ibanez or Jackson and be done with you. JKJKBTSRSLOL!!!!!!111!!!
Quote by greggybhoy
That's supposed to happen to the neck. It means it's played in and will feel better. Do not even think about refinising the neck.

Thinking about it, you don't really deserve this guitar. Just get an Ibanez or Jackson and be done with you. JKJKBTSRSLOL!!!!!!111!!!

I don't like Ibanez Jacksons are not bad but I prefer Fender Strat. I guess then I might as well check and but I might as well just buy a new one since a bunch of you guys say not to get it repainted.
Quote by ColinMc
I don't like Ibanez Jacksons are not bad but I prefer Fender Strat. I guess then I might as well check and but I might as well just buy a new one since a bunch of you guys say not to get it repainted.

A new one might be a good idea, even though i like old strats.
We are telling you
-Don't repaint it.
You're saying
-I don't like the look of the old strat

So the logical solution would be to buy new

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
that fender strat at the store was a road worn 50's strat :P so I'm going to get a brand new one at Fender sometime but the sad thing is I can't try the pickups I want to choose cause the local store only has the stock pickups in the guitars.
Quote by ColinMc
that fender strat at the store was a road worn 50's strat :P so I'm going to get a brand new one at Fender sometime but the sad thing is I can't try the pickups I want to choose cause the local store only has the stock pickups in the guitars.

As do most guitar shops. Just buy an HSS Strat and then take it from there.
Quote by ColinMc

The Road Worn '50s Strat is brand new.

Anyway, why not buy a MIA HSS standard, and upgrade the pickups?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
also when I do get my guitar the pickups which one has a nice clean tone and great distortion tone too out of the two choices.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Why do you need new pickups?

when I get my new guitar I don't want the stock pickups. I was thinking either the two I have choosed but if I get a HSS Strat most likely texas special and the dimario super distortion but I need to know before I buy them the benefits and info cause I can't try those pickups out at local stores.
I have a couple of questions what does Width at Nut mean? Also what does this mean also Comfort Contoured Alder Body? I need to know for my new guitar to see if I would like it or not.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Width at nut means how wide the neck is at the nut. The little bar that holds the strings.

The "comfort contour" is just a fancy word for the belly cut on the back of the guitar, and for it's overall shape. Every Strat has this.

ok so if I get mine custom ordered they will do it anyways for "comfort contour". Also I got my width nut that I want since I tried that 50's Road Worn Strat some of the features I chose such as the Soft V Shape.

Also in this picture is this just a Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish. I like that colour tone for the neck and want mine like that so would I just put down "Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish" to get it to look like that neck in the picture.
http://www.makenmusic.com/productimg/Strat_HotRod57-Blk-FrontFull.jpg
Last edited by ColinMc at Jul 14, 2009,
If you dont know the difference between a road worn and old strat, contoured body or un-contoured, should you really be ordering a custom shop strat.
Quote by SHAUNYSHAUN1234
If you dont know the difference between a road worn and old strat, contoured body or un-contoured, should you really be ordering a custom shop strat.

Yes I'm just getting details for it. I'm not going to be happy with just one bought from a local store. That's why I'm getting it custom made cause my preferences for what I'm looking for in a guitar for a Fender Strat.
So far, though, you've pretty much just described a fat strat. There's even a production model fat strat with texas special pickups in it. You could either call in a custom order for the exact same specs as a production model (the custom shop guys will probably get a kick out of charging you double for something you could pick up at any retailer), or you could just find a fat strat you like and drop a super distortion or whatever you want in the bridge for a whole lot less money, and months less waiting.
Lace pickups are apparently great for strats.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by Stickymongoose
So far, though, you've pretty much just described a fat strat. There's even a production model fat strat with texas special pickups in it. You could either call in a custom order for the exact same specs as a production model (the custom shop guys will probably get a kick out of charging you double for something you could pick up at any retailer), or you could just find a fat strat you like and drop a super distortion or whatever you want in the bridge for a whole lot less money, and months less waiting.

I was actually going to go with hot rails. I already got most of the details you don't know all my details but it's more custom than a retail.
The link is to show you the idea I'm not going to go with a HSS but just a standard Strat. But like I said custom obviously.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0110400755
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What amp do you have?

I have a Line 6 Spider III but I'm planning on saving some money for a Marshell. I'm getting a Ibanez Tube Screamer soon with an Electric Acoustic that my parents are paying for.
Save ALL of your money for a better amp. Forget pups for now dude.

Edit: which Marshall?

PS: When I first got here a little over a year ago I was in the same boat as you. I decided at that time to get a MIM HSS strat and a cheap tube amp so I could learn more about what I really wanted and understand this stuff before spending tons of money. Now I have a better amp and Duncan Custom Custom and couldn't be happier.

PSS - I kept the MIM Strat

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Save ALL of your money for a better amp. Forget pups for now dude.

Edit: which Marshall?

PS: When I first got here a little over a year ago I was in the same boat as you. I decided at that time to get a MIM HSS strat and a cheap tube amp so I could learn more about what I really wanted and understand this stuff before spending tons of money. Now I have a better amp and Duncan Custom Custom and couldn't be happier.

PSS - I kept the MIM Strat

Haven't decided or bothered to look I'm still getting the Fender I really enjoy Fender Strat's I would like my own. Right now I own a ****ty Washburn which has barely any details such as radius for the neck I checked washburns site for my guitar I have right now. Also I have the money for the guitar I know it will probably be over 2000.

Edit: Also for the amp I have I might sell that to my friend in the future with a pedal I got for free.
Last edited by ColinMc at Jul 14, 2009,
I'm just saying I wouldn't worry about setting your sights on a $2000 guitar until you figure out what your amp goals are.

At this point, sell your spider and get a decent amp for $1200 and really nice guitar for $800.

Just my .311 cents
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm just saying I wouldn't worry about setting your sights on a $2000 guitar until you figure out what your amp goals are.

At this point, sell your spider and get a decent amp for $1200 and really nice guitar for $800.

Just my .311 cents

Thanks there is no point for me getting a $1200 amp because I won't be able to turn it up loud in the first place cause my brother has a chinchilla and chinchilla's have sensitive hearing.
Quote by ColinMc
Thanks there is no point for me getting a $1200 amp because I won't be able to turn it up loud in the first place cause my brother has a chinchilla and chinchilla's have sensitive hearing.

Wow man. This thread is failing hard.

$$ does NOT = Volume

There are cheap crappy amps that are loud as hell just like there are really nice expansive hand wired amps that are 18w and less designed specifically for bedroom use.

Edit: Yeah, forsaknazrael, I was just trying to reprioritize the balance of spend on guitar vs amp.

I'd get a MIM strat for $400 and $400+ used amp for now, keep saving, and trade up for something better when you have a better handle on what you are doing. Good Luck.

Well, your first objective is to completely destroy the chinchilla's hearing. Set the little guy inside your amp and just go crazy. How's your brother going to know that his chinchilla has gone deaf?
well I don't want to hurt my brother's chinchilla's hearing. Also I have money like I said $4500 and I'm only 17 so that pretty much says I can get it back up. I know you were trying to help me and I appreciate it but I'm still going to get my $2000 Strat when I'm looking for a new amp I will come on this site and ask for what amp I should go for.
In the end, it is your money.

Just remember that 2000 bucks is a lot of money, and you're a young guy has hasn't actually played that many guitars, and thus, may not know exactly what you want.

I would honestly be looking at a lot of used models on craigslist. Go and try them out at the dude's house. There is nothing wrong with buying used.