Hi there,

I'm writing a short story, and I need to know what kind of acoustic guitar (make, model, etc.) an 11-year-old beginner would get in 2004 (the story is set five years ago). It needs to be fairly cheap -- nothing over $20, please.

What kind of guitar would an 11-year-old boy get in 2004? If it's relevant, this boy in my story is inexperienced but very eager.

Any replies appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.
It's doubtful that he'd find ANYTHING for that price except maybe an old, worn-out guitar, but you might be able to work that into the story (he got it from an old man who used to play, wanted to keep music alive, etc..) For about $80 there's a First Act acoustic.
The only way you'd be able to buy a guitar for under 20, even a toy, would be at a yardsale.

Even then, it'd have to either be a make that nobody's heard of

or

have had the make logo worn off of it.
Quote by stringslinger6
The only way you'd be able to buy a guitar for under 20, even a toy, would be at a yardsale.

Even then, it'd have to either be a make that nobody's heard of

or

have had the make logo worn off of it.

this. my friend got a taylor from some dumbas for 15 dollars
It'd most likely be a no-name brand bought at a pawn shop.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
I got a Yamaha acoustic for $25 from an family friend. Terrible guitar, but he was old.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
you joined UG for this >>
gesh
Mr Deetag
THE ONE AND ONLY
My friends:
Marco,thebassmaster,angie-rose morbid death,Bubonic
turinbrakes.dace
DRK HRSE & Leno
ahallicks.wahappen...geesh!
Thanks for the answers, everyone; very helpful!

As for you, mrdeetag -- qué? It's not like it's a really long registration process...
Hohnder MC-05. That is very cheap & also my second acoustic guitar. I love it tho ;]
Don't think your teacher is going to bag you out about choosing a wrong brand of guitar for your protagonist. Just make up a name.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
just describe his guitar as some old, worn out acoustic that he got at the pawn shop for 20 dollars.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
AlanHB & David_Bowie=GOD – I think that that is the best idea. I was hoping I could find some unheard of brand that a member of this forum had purchased around 2004 (for example, in my country – England – around that time, Ikea used to sell acoustic guitars really cheaply, but I can't find out if and when they ever sold them in the US), but I think I'll just have to make something up.
The reason I wanted an actual make was because I like to add a certain realism to my writing (the kind where someone could read it, and think, "Oh my GOD! I used to have one of those!), but it doesn't matter in the end.

Also, it's not for school – it’s just for me.

Fieryhead – thanks so much for your reply; however, it unfortunately seems that those guitars are only available in the U.K. Still though, I'm very grateful for your help!

Thanks so much to everyone for all the answers and help I've received. It's much appreciated.