I have an issue with my pull offs being very quiet from about the 12th fret and higher on the higher strings. I've tried working on technique, but I just can get them to sound at a decent volume. Raising the pickup toward the high e helped some, but nowhere near enough, hammer ons are a bit quiet as well but not as bad.

So what is my problem: technique, guitar setup, strings, pickups, need a compressor?

Gear: Schecter Omen 6 stock, dunlop 10 gauge strings, HT5c, no effects.
Usually it's technique, but old strings are sometimes a problem as well. Get a new set of strings, if you still have the problem then I suggest you work on technique.
Pull offs and hammer ons work better when you have more gain/distortion. Also, when doing pull-offs, try to slide your finger again to get te string vibrating.

This is posted in the wrong forum. If you inform a moderator of your mistake they will move it for you.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
+1 to what Bart said. If that doesn't work then try asking in the setup thread in the EG forum, I'm you could get some pointers to check if it's your setup.
Technique first. Remember, you kinda have to flick the string some as you pull off. Compressors will help but I find them cheating if you don't already have great technique. Check your pickup height, too. Just search for posts I've made about it, I don't care to write it again. Basically, if your pickups are too close tot he strings, the excess magnetic field could easily be helping to kill the pulloffs.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Technique first. Remember, you kinda have to flick the string some as you pull off. Compressors will help but I find them cheating if you don't already have great technique. Check your pickup height, too. Just search for posts I've made about it, I don't care to write it again. Basically, if your pickups are too close tot he strings, the excess magnetic field could easily be helping to kill the pulloffs.

This.
^ Stop stalking me, Mitch
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
thanks guys, sorry for posting in the wrong place, wasn't sure if it was gear related

definately was technique, I had been coming straight up off the string, but kinda rolling off gets me tons more volume
Last edited by ninjab at Jul 9, 2009,