Short story:

About a week ago my playing was the best it has ever been. My speed topped out at triplets at 144bpm (The fastest I've ever played before.) I've been able to put together a decent sweep solo with various 3, 4, and 5 string sweeps.

Some of my latest conquests include "Focus Shift" by Dark Tranquility, Blood of Faith Stains my Hands by Eternal Tears of Sorrow, and Mortal Share by Insomnium.,

But for the last couple of days I haven't been playing very well at all. My speed picking is horrible and dirty. I can't put sweeps to together very well. And even my palm muting riffs (like Focus Shift and Mortal Share sound like crap.

Is now a good time to take a week off? Or is there something else I can do?
What you could do is, stop judging the quality of your playing by how fast you can play.

Play, enjoy it. If you feel the need for a break, take a break.
shred is gaudy music
It's not just the speed. It's a variety a techniques that are declining. It's incredibility frustrating knowing that I could play something one week and not being able to know.,
You're not getting worse. Everyone has good days and bad days. You just happened to have a bad day immediately after a good day.

Listen to the Munky (I've always wanted to say that hehe ) and don't worry about it
Just a sign that you haven't quite mastered it yet. You were obviously having a good day, but keep at it, and before long you'll be able to do it on a bad day
Try playing at 120bpm for 30mins and then go to 150bpm I bet you will be able to do it after that.

Make sure your warmed up aswell.
Quote by GuitarMunky
What you could do is, stop judging the quality of your playing by how fast you can play.

+ a bazillion
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
my take: cut your speed in half...see if you can play it at half speed...if not...then..perhaps you don't really know it...you have some patterns memorized...but you don't practice at slow speed to get to the fast stuff...if you cant play it slow...you cant play it fast...

change drastically...try this...pick a very simple common melody...happy birthday or london bridge...play it in several keys in several positions on the neck...play SLOW ...until you can play it with comfort and confidence in several keys in different positions...increase your speed very gradually ... then... try to incorporate that simple melody into what you are working on..

you must challenge yourself every practice session...play something new every day....and blend it in with what you already know..

the goal for me is to know a piece so well ... that even if i get lost for a bar or two...i recover and can get back to tempo but i use the "lost time" to blend in...like playing HB or LB...and then work on getting lost and not panic or feel depressed...ALL musicians get lost at some point...its the recovery practice that saves them from being detected by the listeners...of course musicians may be able to tell...

the ebb and flow of performance is part of being a musician...to maintain a standard level takes daily dedicated pracitce...speed in nice but useless unless you know how to use it..

play well

wolf
Just relax. Take some deep breaths and try playing it very slowly to really fast on a 30minute timer.. your speed will be "natural"..
If it doesn't work.. take a break for a few day, and try again this exercise above, should help =)

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Quote by GuitarMunky

Apparently there is something wrong with being concerned with your technical skill on the instrument. Granted, most people would argue that technical proficiency is necessary in order to translate what you hear in your head to your guitar, but we both know that the only real music is played with the E minor pentatonic at the 12th fret, in 4/4 time, at 90bpm. Anything else is just masterbation for people who only judge the quality of their playing by how fast they can play.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Apparently there is something wrong with being concerned with your technical skill on the instrument. Granted, most people would argue that technical proficiency is necessary in order to translate what you hear in your head to your guitar, but we both know that the only real music is played with the E minor pentatonic at the 12th fret, in 4/4 time, at 90bpm. Anything else is just masterbation for people who only judge the quality of their playing by how fast they can play.

He was giving his opinion and his advice, and once again you were attacking him. Disagreeing with someone is fine, so is stating your own opinion, but you seem to feel this need to be a malicious asshole to everyone who doesn't think like you. You also seem to feel the need to prove your genius to everyone around you, and it just makes you seem like a hard headed prick.

My opinion :

Stressing about it isn't going to help. Keep practising, but don't push anything, pushing won't help anything.

P.S. Pushing and working hard are very different things.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
He was giving his opinion and his advice, and once again you were attacking him. Disagreeing with someone is fine, so is stating your own opinion, but you seem to feel this need to be a malicious asshole to everyone who doesn't think like you. You also seem to feel the need to prove your genius to everyone around you, and it just makes you seem like a hard headed prick.

Not all opinions are created equal. When your viewpoint is ridiculous and detrimental to the improvement of the person you're responding to, you really shouldn't be complaining when someone points out just how ridiculous your opinion is. His (and your) delicate sensibilities will survive. Get over it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Not all opinions are created equal. When your viewpoint is ridiculous and detrimental to the improvement of the person you're responding to, you really shouldn't be complaining when someone points out just how ridiculous your opinion is. His (and your) delicate sensibilities will survive. Get over it.

Who are you to judge whos opinions hold more value than others. You seem to think your pretty smart, so you should probably have figured out by now that your opinion is no better than anyone elses in most cases, it's just different. Your also assuming that TS is a moron who can't decide who's opinion they value more, since you tried to rip someones else apart and make yours seem better. State your opinion, let TS decide who's they like more and go with it, being a closed minded asshole isn't helping anyone.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Okay, calm down everyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and both of you are right in certain aspects.

Yes, you should play music to have fun but you have to admit playing like Paul Gilbert is a lot more fun then one of the Jonas Brothers.

Anyways, I think the problem is in your head. Did you guitar change from the time you were playing well? Did your fingers change? I don't think so.
When your practicing a lick over and over again, what you're really doing is convincing yourself you can play it. That's all coordination is.

When you were playing really well, you had yourself convinced you could do exactly what you were doing. But the next day you weren't as convinced and so you might have made a few mistakes which then made you think you were playing poorly and it all snowballed from there.

Slow everything down. Don't get frustrated and stay relaxed. Eventually you'll be able to play anything but by believing you can already play something will allow you to learn it much faster.
If you get too wrapped up over not being able to play something or are always playing something that's above your level and play it really sloppy, your playing will more than likely decline. I'm not saying that's the case, and if it isn't, you're probably just having a bad day, just keep playing and don't forget to have fun while playing, as dorky as it sounds. It'll come back.