ok so im on the verge of starting with my new band and i have been assigned the role of vocalist and rythm guitar player. im quite happy with that but now everytime i practice my vocal along with my electric guitar my amps own my voice and i end up yelling like a mofo and now worse i just broke my voice.

i think its time to get some vocal equipment.

I know i need a P.A (anyone could tell me what P.A exactly mean?)

so i need a Mic a Mixer a Power amp and 2 Speaker.. Right?

any idea about how much it would cost?

its mainly for house use BUT it would be awesome if i could sing at gigs with it...

i have no idea what brand are good or what i should get or not or how much power i need.

any help would be really appreciated...

we will be playing alternative and noise rock if it help.

Sorry if this is not in the right forum. please dont flame i have a sensible heart.
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

have you been playing for two weeks?

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
I've heard of a guitar with five colored frets, but they don't play well.
Last edited by ModestAxis at Jul 9, 2009,
microphone: the standard will be a shure sm58, it's probably what you'll use to sing in at any venue too, around 100$
if you wanna cheap out, get a pg58, if it's just for practice, it'll do the job well enough and it could actually sound good enough for a small gig

also, if you absolutely need a PA, i can't help you really much, but i don't know if you really need one. personally, i use a keyboard amp for my band, it's got 4 inputs, and it's quite simpler than a PA, i guess, it's a 200 watt amp and we can hear it all quite well (i play alternative rock too)
most of the time, venues will have home PAs so you won't need to bring one
and i have no idea what PA stands for, to me it sounds like Portable Audio, but i'm not so sure, it could also be Power Amp or idunno =)
musicians friend is the musicians friend. www.musiciansfriend.com <===

that doesent help me decide tho... how im i suppose to know what is good or not... and im in Quebec they dont ship here :s
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Quote by Darkflame
microphone: the standard will be a shure sm58, it's probably what you'll use to sing in at any venue too, around 100$
if you wanna cheap out, get a pg58, if it's just for practice, it'll do the job well enough and it could actually sound good enough for a small gig

also, if you absolutely need a PA, i can't help you really much, but i don't know if you really need one. personally, i use a keyboard amp for my band, it's got 4 inputs, and it's quite simpler than a PA, i guess, it's a 200 watt amp and we can hear it all quite well (i play alternative rock too)
most of the time, venues will have home PAs so you won't need to bring one
and i have no idea what PA stands for, to me it sounds like Portable Audio, but i'm not so sure, it could also be Power Amp or idunno =)

now that helped!!!

so you just use a keyboard amp? man that makes me happy to think i wont have to spend million on my singning equipement!!!

you think i could buy a mic plug it into a crappy amp till i find another decent amp for my vocals?
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Quote by ModestAxis
now that helped!!!

so you just use a keyboard amp? man that makes me happy to think i wont have to spend million on my singning equipement!!!

you think i could buy a mic plug it into a crappy amp till i find another decent amp for my vocals?

you could but you obviously wont get a great tone.in the mean time go for it but save up for someting better.
Quote by ModestAxis
that doesent help me decide tho... how im i suppose to know what is good or not... and im in Quebec they dont ship here :s

well i did not know that sir.
Quote by fearofthemark
A wild asshole appeared!

fearofthemark used GTFO

the june 09'er fled!

Rip Heavens Gate
Quote by basspunk709
well i did not know that sir.

its alright we arent all geniuses :P nah im kidding .

lol darkflame i just noticed we live in the same city haha...

btw are you the girl signing on the video on your band page.

she has a really nice voice.
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Last edited by ModestAxis at Jul 9, 2009,
lol haha doesent make sense to me why its called public adress
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Quote by ModestAxis
its alright we arent all geniuses :P nah im kidding .

lol darkflame i just noticed we live in the same city haha...

btw are you the girl signing on the video on your band page.

she has a really nice voice.

we do? that's awesome, we can go shop for your singing stuff together lol
no, that girl got kicked out of the band last month, i'm the guy who writes everything, lyrics+music (picture of me on my profile lol, i don't look that much like a girl do i?)

and back on the subject, you could use a cheap amp as a vocal thing, but if you are using a guitar amp, be careful, the speaker will blow. If you use a bass or a keyboard amp you'll be all right though. the convenience of a keyboard amp: 2 XLR or 1/4 inputs and then 2 more inputs, total of 4 inputs + auxiliary =) i use a yorkville KB200 and it's quite awesome =) i think it's got a 15'' speaker, although i'm doubtful about that

well after checking, it IS a 15' speaker
http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=9&cat=57&id=377

i bought this one because i wanted good tone, but the hartke one sounds good too, is 200$ cheaper and projects better since it's in an angled position
Last edited by Darkflame at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by wikipedia
A public address or "PA" system is an electronic amplification system with a mixer, amplifier and loudspeakers, used to reinforce a given sound, e.g., a person making a speech, prerecorded music, or message, and distributing the sound throughout a venue.

That took me literally two seconds
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
nah then it would get complicated to ear my guitar and blahblahblah...

on an other end getting a mixer would be quite useful....

but ill prolly stick to the keyboard amp.
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112