I'm a small guy (5'7" on a good day ), and bigger guitar shapes look pretty big on me. It's not a big deal, but frankly it just makes me look like a child when I'm on stage. I mean...even strats look big on me. So can you think of any models in particular that are smaller in overall size? The shape isn't really a big deal, I like most (non ridiculous) shapes. I was thinking maybe something with a "Junior" in the name? Really the best guitar so far was the SG...

EDIT: Just so you know...I'm not looking for any short scale guitars!!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Last edited by stinger12345 at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by stinger12345
I'd be maybe interested....but I don't like floating trems

There are similar guitars that are hardtail and such. They can be quite tricky to play, though, as your forearm can't really hold the guitar in place.
Gibson SGs and Jackson RR shapes are pretty small. Or just start playing mandolin, you dwarf.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Ibanez S series are pretty small. And the ZR trem is pretty easy to work with.
Quote by Black-Metal
you sir, are my favourite american

When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!
I'm 5'3" and I'm fine.
But if you really want a small guitar than I guess the RR3 would be alright on you.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Angus Young has the same problem as you hes only 5'1" so he customized a gibson sg junior with better pickups and a longer neck (Bigger scale).
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
"The last real man in showbiz"
So how tall on a bad day?? Jackson RRs are a good example as randy was only about 5'7 too. Im only 5'9 and i play les pauls more and they look fine on me plus ive seen munchkin girls who play fender strats and they look fine on them.

As long as your comfortable playing 'bigger' guitars i dont see what u look like as a problem
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I think you should just run in the opposite direction. Get the biggest full-hollow archtop you can find and play it way high on the strap.
I think a lot more people would notice that. Turn your liability into an asset.
I'm a 5'7"girl and my fender strat looks perfectly normal on me.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Dean Baby series.
Take a saw to any junker guitar you see.
Make a guitar.
RR models
V models

Alternate: Adjust to like larger guitars, and enjoy a nice ML/Razorback shape.
i played a 2000 prestige S2020x, it fit me PERFECTLY.

i'm about 5'6 and super skinny btw.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I don't understand how a guitar would look big on you. I know a kid who's 5'5" and looks fine playing a strat
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
PRS bodies aren't particularly big at all, but I'm about 6'3-4" so most things look small to me
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Am I over-reacting? You decide....

That's me w/ my V....I guess it doesn't look tooo big on me?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

You look fine to me.....not in a gay way. I think its in your head dude
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I'm somewhere around 5' 6" and I've toyed with the idea of having a guitar made with a body that is 90% of the original size. The only way to do this is to use a custom shop or make it yourself. If you could get a trace out of a body shape and get a program to shrink it by a certain percentage then you could cut out your own body.

On the other hand, very large guys have made extra large guitars. Buckethead (who stands 6' 6" to 6' 7" without the bucket) has enormous hands and is a very lanky guy. When he use to play an ESP MII Custom it looked a bit small on him and his hands looked massive compared to the scale of the neck. He had Sean Padden (spelling) at the Gibson custom shop make him Les Pauls with a 27" scale tuned a half step down with 10's though he is now back up to standard tuning. That is the only solid piece of information from Gibson about his guitar but Bucket did say in an interview that he was play "extra large" Les Pauls. It's pretty clear the body is slightly larger than normal.
Stop being so cosmetic... People won't give a damn if you can play amazingly what you look like. Concentrate on not having to compensate for lack of skills - the look with follow if you know what you're doing.

Jeez, typical small men...
Quote by Kumanji
Stop being so cosmetic... People won't give a damn if you can play amazingly what you look like. Concentrate on not having to compensate for lack of skills - the look with follow if you know what you're doing.

Jeez, typical small men...

This isn't cosmetics. This is determining how playable the guitar is in your hands. Standing up trying to play an ES-335 when your under about six foot is difficult. Some people may be comfortable with such a large chunk of wood covering your waist to your upper chest. I prefer a smaller body size because it's a lot easier to get around when you can control the guitar's movements with your fretting hand a little help from your waist. Guys like Buckethead NEED an extended scale length so their fingers with fit within the highest frets. Watch players with large hands (even for their height) like Paul Gilbert and Buckethead (even Vai to some extent). It gets crowded real quick as they ascend the neck. I really like the feel of 10's on a 25.5" scale length but I'm also very interested in 24 frets on a 24.75" (Gibson) or even slightly smaller. My fingers are a little long and skinny for my size but I still will never be able to do the kind of major stretches that some guys can even when they are playing on a 25.5" scale or longer.

Sure it's nice if the guitar looks like it fits you well and doesn't look like a size 86 moomoo on Nicole Ritchie but some people feel it would be more comfortable if their guitar was just a little bigger or a little smaller. It's all personal preference like string gauge.
which guitars have a higher scale that aren't customs because on the higher frets i barley fit partly because I'm 6'2 and big framed and partly because of fat fingers
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
I have the same problem - I rarely get comments about it I don´t really care... but my Carvin Ultra V´s are very small. They are smaller than a Jackson RR. The Carvin V220 I have is also a very tiny star shape. They are the only 3 guitars that look normal size on me.

I also wear lots of huge jackets, hats, and coats that as a side effect make my guitars look more proportional.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by stinger12345
Am I over-reacting? You decide....

That's me w/ my V....I guess it doesn't look tooo big on me?

you actally took time to get dressed for a photo hahahaha classy
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
I think the bigger reason you look like a child is because of the reversed hat and sunglasses... The guitar looks fine on you.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Well I actually wore the sunglasses because I got socked in the face the other night and didn't want to take a picture with it (even if its just for you people lol), I'm not a douchebag...although my picture may say different
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

EBMM Musicman. They have the same scale as a Fender, but are designed to fit in a aircraft over head bag locker.
the hagstrom ultra swede has a small lp shaped body. it has a really skinny neck though which some people might not like. my mate has one and it sounds really good and plays well
Quote by nav00
You look fine to me.....not in a gay way. I think its in your head dude

/thread