Someone told me that Distortion wasn;t for tube amps and that I should use overdrive instead, but I just read a thread that said OD was for boosting an already overdriven tube amp mainly for blues tones. I'm getting a tube amp and Im looking for a pedal to get a rock/hard rock/metal sound but I'm kinda confused about the difference between OD and distortion...
Generally, if you've got a tube amp, you'd get an OD to boost it a little further, it could be for a volume boost, treble/mid boost for solos, or whatever. Just try one out and see if you get any use out of it
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
If you're amp is medium gain, but not quite metal, then you can use an OD to boost it into metal. Now if you have a really low gain amp then you'd need a distortion pedal probably that's run into the clean channel.
Distortion pedals are generally harsher, especially solid state. ODs tend to mimic or replicate the sound of an overdriven tube amp. As to which you "should" use it's up to you really. There's many, many different distortions and ODs out there. Find one of either you like the most is my advice.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
What amp are you getting? If you play mostly distorted, you should get an amp that has that distorsion your after instead of getting a pedal
You can do whatever you want. I run an MI Audio Crunch Box distortion into my all tube JSX for my general dirty tone. Randy Rhodes used a MXR Distortion with his Marshall tube amps. As long as it sounds good.
Peavey JSX
Traynor YCV
Fender '68 Bassman
Jetter Gain Stage Red OD
MI Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Choralflange
Fender Strat
Carvin 7 String
a distortion pedal tries to supply all the distortion in one package, and is usually made for usage on a clean channel. an od pedal can be used as a standalone distortion pedal to create low-gain bluesy tones, but is often used to boost an already existing distortion tone. but how you use it is up to you.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
You should probably take the amp to a store and see if you can use some different pedals and test out what sounds best for your likings
I don't read, I look at words and absorb their meanings.
If the pit was a group of people hangin out we would be possibly the most awsome group of people to be known to mankind.........I think it would be on the news
Sorry I was afk...
Quote by Sguit
What amp are you getting? If you play mostly distorted, you should get an amp that has that distorsion your after instead of getting a pedal

I'm planning on getting a Tiny Terror. It's single channel so I figured I needed a pedal for my OD/Distortion If I wanted to be able to switch between dirty and clean