Howdy!

I'm going to buy a new laptop soon and I was just wondering what specs I should be looking for if I plan to use this laptop to record music (well, not ONLY for recording music, also for some schoolwork). All I know right now is lots of memory, but I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to most things about computers though, so care to lend me a hand?
laptops aren't so great for recording if you want to take it seriously then try and get a desktop. they're much easier to get expandable soundcards for. they're cheaper too

aside from that see above. maybe look into mac as well - they're good media machines, just don't expect to ever play a game on them or have anyone else help you out if you get confused about how it works
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
laptops aren't so great for recording if you want to take it seriously then try and get a desktop. they're much easier to get expandable soundcards for. they're cheaper too

aside from that see above. maybe look into mac as well - they're good media machines, just don't expect to ever play a game on them or have anyone else help you out if you get confused about how it works

Well, I need this laptop to last through college and when I go there, that'll be my only way to record things

So, I guess I'm looking at a mac. I've kind of been wanting one overall anyways. What are some advantages that a mac has over a PC for recording and the like?
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
So, I guess I'm looking at a mac. I've kind of been wanting one overall anyways. What are some advantages that a mac has over a PC for recording and the like?

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago. I just finished my second year of college this past semester and had been dabbling in and out of music recording with the same PC laptop I had for four years. I could get around a good amount of it, the only problem was it was simply not powerful enough to handle recording programs like Adobe Audition.

With that said, there are plenty of PC's today that can handle the job. One of the things to make sure of when looking at either that or a Mac is to see how many gigabytes of RAM it holds. Like one or two posters said earlier you'll need 2-3, but if you can shell out the extra cash, go for 4 gb.

Back to the story though, about two months ago the PC just died on me. I ended up getting the latest version of the 15 inch macbook pro.

So for advantages the mac may have over a PC, I can tell you this. It's simply more convenient. A recording program such as garageband has just been a pleasant experience using.

It really all comes down to what your personal preference is. I can say for myself that while a mac may look ridiculously confusing at first, it's been easy to get used to, and I was able to get around and use it just as well (and faster) than I would with a PC.

Also, the price drops for the macbook pro's are a nice incentive to go pick one up.