Ok so my dad is really fighting me on getting a new amp. He thinks I have no need for a new amp. While I suppose I don't really NEED an amp, I want better tone than I'm getting.

For reference, I have a Marshall MG30DFX which he bought for me when I first got my electric, my Fender MIM Strat. I have since gotten an Epiphone Special 2. I run both guitars through my Digitech pedals, RP90 and RP2000 into the Marshall and an Epiphone Studio 15R. I've tried to talk to him about this and whenever I bring it up, he rolls his eyes and insists that my tone is good and I don't need a new amp. Not to say that I hate the MG, it's been effective at anything that I've done.

While I agree that my tone is fairly good through tweaking both pedals and the amp, I feel that I can get a better amp that will suit my needs more. I play metal and classic rock (main artists being Metallica, Iron Maiden, Rush, Boston, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio etc).

So for my questions,
1a) How do I get him to see that a new amp would help?
1b) Would a new amp help or is he right and I'm just being an idiot?
2) What amp might be good for my styles?

Further info: I can go used, and I'm considering an amp in the $300-$500 range (USD).
If there is an amp that you recommend that is more expensive, say it please. The budget is in no way definite.
Do you need to gig?

1a) by playing really really shite at loud volumes and saying it's the amps fault. I dunno. He's your dad, you know how to talk to him better than anyone here.
2a) a new amp will certainly help, as the MG range, apart from it being absolutely abhored by UG, is not great.
3a) it depends on whether you are gigging
Hm, just two random suggestions: B-52 AT 112 or a Carvin SX100.

Just my suggestions, I would recommend the B-52 to you based on your tastes.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
1a) I'm not sure how to help you there. I didn't have this kind of problem. I guess tell him something like the MG helped you find the tone you want and you need an amp that can achieve that tone. Tell him that the MG is a good starter amp, but you need something with a better tone b/c the MG discourages you from playing anymore b/c you know you can get a better tone from another amp. Thats how i felt with my Spider. Just tell him its time to upgrade amps. Try to map out a plan that is reasonable and present it in a professional manner.
1b) A new amp would help; if your MG is anything like my spider, then you NEED a new amp. My spider discouraged me from playing b/c it sounded so bad. It was good at first, but it ultimately made me want a tube amp. I finally got one though, and RM80.
2)that being said, there is a Randall RM50 combo on ebay for $700 that includes two preamp modules: SL+ and XTC. extremely versatile and user friendly.

Hopefully this helps. good luck finding an amp.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 9, 2009,
i can say any amp even if its expensive

prepare yourself
Go get a USED:
Diezel VH4- 3100
Deizel Herbert - 2700
ENGL SE - 2800
ENGL Savage - 2000
Mesa/Boogie Roadster - 2200
Peters Hydra - 2000
Randall RM100 w/ various modules - 1200

but if you want to go cheap
B-52 AT112 - 350
Line 6 Flextone - 300
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i can say any amp even if its expensive

*OTHER AMPS*

Line 6 Flextone - 300

I never seen the Line 6 Flextone that low, where did you find this ridiculously amazing deal?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

Quote by Scutchington
I never seen the Line 6 Flextone that low, where did you find this ridiculously amazing deal?

used
and i found a Flextone II in my C-list for 250
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
used
and i found a Flextone II in my C-list for 250

Lucky, people on my local C-list are amazingly cheap.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by AngryGoldfish
You can find Flextones for £300 easily. $300 is not common, but quite possible.

Sweet mother of Batman! http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=829108

Shame its all the way in MN and I'm all the way in TX.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Scutchington
Sweet mother of Batman! http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=829108

Shame its all the way in MN and I'm all the way in TX.

You have no idea how many times I have found amazing deals on that site, only to remember I am also in Texas.

GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
+1 to the B-52 rec

great amps. should be able to cover all of your genres without any trouble at all
Thanks for all the help. It helps and I think that I have a better idea of how to talk to him now. I've actually considered the B-52 but I've heard of reliability issues with them. Can anyone say something on that subject?

Also, the Flextone is a modeling amp (right?); how easy, if it's possible, is it to modify/shape tones to my preferences? Or are the choices limited to those tones that come in the amp?
Quote by Neonknight2112
Thanks for all the help. It helps and I think that I have a better idea of how to talk to him now. I've actually considered the B-52 but I've heard of reliability issues with them. Can anyone say something on that subject?

Also, the Flextone is a modeling amp (right?); how easy, if it's possible, is it to modify/shape tones to my preferences? Or are the choices limited to those tones that come in the amp?

I think you should go with the Randall RM50, if you can get the money. There is another one on ebay for $700 that comes with the 1086 (dan donegan signature) and the Blackface. The blackface is one of the best cleans you can get, and if you get the 1086 modded by Pete Turely (okstrat on the MTS forum), people say its extremely versatile. here is a vid that he did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVfM0BX4mNg

instead of paying $1000-2000 on a new amp, you can pay $200 for a new module and they are very close to the amps they replicate. and this is NOT digital modelling. Each module is based off of the circuitry of the amp they model.

It also has a tube bias sections so you can put almost any tube in it and bias it yourself. you don't have to pay a lot of money for a tech to fix it, you can do it yourself.

It also has a reverb tank and a series and parallel FX loop.

good luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
as musicians, we always "need" gear. Why dont you work hard and save up?

truth!

hey, i don't mean to make implications about your family, so take this in a cool way, but if your dad is one of those "cool" dads (the ones who kinda know what's going on in YOUR world as opposed to just the Wallstreet Journal), maybe you suggest he go to a concert the next time a band whose tone you like is playing in your area (and seriously, hold out for a band with good tone. the last thing you want is for him to hear your buddy's band that's "badass" when he uses a similar amp).
when he hears a mesa set to "melt" and comes home to hear your MG set to "****ing kill me now" he might be more inclined to give you a thumbs up.

and i hate to break it to ya kid, but MGs are way weak if you haven't already figured it out by reading every thread on UG that mentions them. they're great as cheap practice amps, but def not stage-worthy.

oh yeah, that reminds me, if you're not gigging or don't plan to soon, just wait and save. that way you'll have more $ to drop on a better amp than a b-52 or whatever.
Quote by JKMV11
It also has a tube bias sections so you can put almost any tube in it and bias it yourself. you don't have to pay a lot of money for a tech to fix it, you can do it yourself.

yeah, true, but have someone who's done it before show you the ropes. amps can carry enough juice to fry your ass even when they're off if you're not careful.
Quote by GrisKy
truth!

hey, i don't mean to make implications about your family, so take this in a cool way, but if your dad is one of those "cool" dads (the ones who kinda know what's going on in YOUR world as opposed to just the Wallstreet Journal), maybe you suggest he go to a concert the next time a band whose tone you like is playing in your area (and seriously, hold out for a band with good tone. the last thing you want is for him to hear your buddy's band that's "badass" when he uses a similar amp).
when he hears a mesa set to "melt" and comes home to hear your MG set to "****ing kill me now" he might be more inclined to give you a thumbs up.

and i hate to break it to ya kid, but MGs are way weak if you haven't already figured it out by reading every thread on UG that mentions them. they're great as cheap practice amps, but def not stage-worthy.

oh yeah, that reminds me, if you're not gigging or don't plan to soon, just wait and save. that way you'll have more $ to drop on a better amp than a b-52 or whatever.

Or the shimmering cleans or an AC30
Pretty much this, somes up the thread, save up and get what you want. You don't want to find yourself in the same situation 4 years down the road.
Quote by GrisKy
yeah, true, but have someone who's done it before show you the ropes. amps can carry enough juice to fry your ass even when they're off if you're not careful.

Thats true. I'll probably take it up to my local music shop when it needs new tubes so they can show me the ropes (which will likely be next week). I just got the RM80. Same thing as the RM50 except with an extra speaker and stock with 6550's. has EL34's right now. i'll probably switch them for 6L6's.

I just hope they can help me with it; they aren't a Randall dealer, and the only Randall dealer in the area doesn't even handle these amps.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Once again thanks for all the help. And my dad is pretty cool, I'd say. He's a guitarist himself, although before I picked it up he hadn't touched one in many years. He's also a drummer and we've been to a couple of shows fairly recently (Rush, Heaven and Hell, Kansas).

I am saving up at the moment and I'm looking for a job. What would be a good job for me (15)?
**** man, get you ol'man to show you the ropes, and in a couple years you can hit the road as a tech! it's what I did for a while... money's great, benefits are not, it's fun and you learn a lot, and as long as you don't get caught up in the groupie/hangers-on bull**** it's a great way to get your foot in the industry's door (that "once-in-a-life-time" opportunity to call up an A&R rep and say, "hey I need you to check out this band..." could change your life)... but since you're 15 it's pretty much BurgerKing for now.