Well its not really help that i need, just a suggestion.

I play bass in a band, and i have a full stack as of now, a 1x15 and a 2x10 with a GK 400RB-III head. I had to sell my guitar amp just to buy the bass rig, and ive been playing guitar for 5 years now (but i was a spider so who cares).

Anywho, i use a boss gt-6 to play guitar and i plug it into my full stack and the tone resembles a guitar halfstack (4x12). I was wondering since i want to start playing more guitar now, and im stuck on a budget, is it possible to use a guitar head with a bass cab? or will it sound absoulutely horrible?

im saying this because i noticed that with the bass amp, when i turn the volume up, it just gets distorted more instead of gaining volume (and btw all eqs are 0).

thanks
it probly would sound bassy
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
I don't see why not.
I've heard some professionals (who I can't remember the names of) do it.

Quote by Winman9999
it probly would sound bassy

I think this would be taken for granted
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Jul 9, 2009,
It would not sound bassy unless you EQ it that way.
Think of a bass amp as a guitar amp... but better.

If a guitar amp was a Ford Fiesta, a bass amp would be a tank.
(In terms of it's ability to handle frequencies.)

Watch out for the tweeter if it has one, it can make some ridiculous highs if you don't turn it off.
Make sure the head and cab(s) are rated for each other (though I don't know the maths well)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Casketcreep
It would not sound bassy unless you EQ it that way.
Think of a bass amp as a guitar amp... but better.

If a guitar amp was a Ford Fiesta, a bass amp would be a tank.
(In terms of it's ability to handle frequencies.)

Watch out for the tweeter if it has one, it can make some ridiculous highs if you don't turn it off.

Awesome. Damn problem is that the cab's tweeter is always on, like theres no switch to turn it on or off, probably explains why if i use the 2x10 alone with the head and gt-6 the highs are tooo high (have to turn the Global EQs fully down).

I'm the type of person who likes to make multi use of things so i don't have to either spend more money and save space in my house. So will a guitar head produce a super high frequency type of tone or am i good? if someone whos been in this situation please share!

thanks again
My guitarist once plugged his 1980's marshall jcm800 into my bass 4x12 cab. Sounded great. he turned the bass down a tiny bit from his normal but other than that left it alone. Honestly, between any two cabs the sounds will be different so i don't think it was enough of a difference to say that this will be the case all the time.

I say go for it. You can't damage anything, and the worst case is you don't like the tone and you have to buy a cab for the guitar head at some point. Might as well try it this way first to save money.

Btw I run my Ibanez RG prestige into a bass combo amp at home and it sounds just fine. Sure it's not tube but it sounds pretty nice anyway.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Many, many blues guitarists use bass amps to play through. The guitarists in my blues group plays through a Fender Bassman. I think the sound of Fender Telecaster sounds dead sexy through a bass amp.
awesome thanks for the replies! i guess ill go look into trying out a guitar head with my cab and seeing if its good enough for my liking!
Josh Homme from Kyuss/QOTSA uses a bass amp, or at least he did in Kyuss
Edit: And I play through a Bassman at my guitar lessons.
Keeping it real since '92
what about playing a bass through a guitar amp will that like destroy the speaker or something?
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
you cannot play bass through a guitar amp. bass through a guitar head won't hurt anything but guitar speakers can't handle it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu