Recently my interest in jazz guitar has grown due to its unique and distinct style. For about 6 months I have wanted to learn to play a Joe Pass style of solo guitar. I've seen various videos, looked through a few books, and tried other sources to educate me about jazz guitar.

While I am on my journey to learn this style of music, are there any other UG users doing the same? If so, speak up! I want to hear how you learned, how long it took(or how long you've been learning), how much you might be enjoying it, and anything else you might have to say to a fellow jazz student. Thanks!

- Alex
A-mart
I recently (within the past 3 or 4 months) began to get really interested in jazz. I picked up the genre mainly because I wanted to expand my knowledge of music and it seemed like a good place to go. I've always been a big fan of progressive music and whatnot, and there is a lot of jazz often mixed in with progressive music, so it seemed like a natural progression.

So far I've learned a little, played a lot, and mastered nothing . Good luck.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
im getting trained in jazz music also, i've been taking lessons on jazz guitar for about 6-7 months, really they were the only guitar lessons i've had, so my playing style has just generally gravitated to jazz, you can hear jazz licks when im playing funk, blues, reggae, or whatever else im playing at the time. i got really inspired by john scofield and joe pass. im deffinately enjoying it, it's just one of those types of genres that not a lot of people my age play (im only 15)
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
metalgs3, me too. One of my intentions of learning jazz was to also learn some interesting theory. I figure with a greater knowledge of chords, a new style, etc. I could also expand upon my sound and playing as a song writer.
A-mart
I'm 21, and most players I know do not venture to jazz. Especially when I walk into guitar stores; jazz is not something I avidly hear among younger players. But that's great that you're being exposed to jazz so early. Only recently I have had a greater appreciation for its style.
A-mart
Quote by stratplyr01
I'm 21, and most players I know do not venture to jazz. Especially when I walk into guitar stores; jazz is not something I avidly hear among younger players. But that's great that you're being exposed to jazz so early. Only recently I have had a greater appreciation for its style.

i know exactly what you mean. i'll walk into a sam ash or something, and play some jazz licks or a jazz progression, and all the metalheads and stuff that are about the same age as me just give me that wtf look. luckily the other store, all the employees are very big on jazz, so it's a lot more comfortable in there.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
I'm studying with Vic Juris at the moment. Look him up, one of the best cats in the scene in my opinion. My jazz chops doubled after getting lessons from a professional jazz guitar player. If you can afford to take lessons, a good teacher who is/was a professional jazz musician is the best way to learn.
12 fret fury
in the past 6 months i've became much more interested in jazz. My dad is a big jazz fan so i was always exposed to jazz but i went through a whole 'rebellious' stage in my life were i was just into thrash, but i'm way out of that stage of my life now and i've refound my love for jazz but this time i have much more appreciation for the more technical aspects of the genre. Currently i'm working on my comping and the theory that goes with it. In terms of being the lead instrument i've been focusing on phrasing rather than speed as i'm already a half decent shredder. So far i've found jazz to be a lot of fun, i've been listening to lots of new music, i've been improvising over some simple standards and i've definitely got a lot of inspiration from all this new music i've been finding. Although its been fun and i have definitely improved in terms of my theory knowledge and my comping, with jazz i feel that theres always something you can improve on whether its something simple like your phrasing that can be easily improved, or whether its something more complicated like your note choice during improvisation or not being able to complement the lead instrument properly. I think jazz is such a deep genre as its so spontaneous and i think thats why i've enjoyed getting back in to it.
ive had a couple of years of lessons in jazz, though im more a fusion kinda guy

playing as many standards as possible, as thoroughly as you can is great exercise
really study common changes, and just get to know the harmonic language

besides that, i think that syncopated style jazz-phrasing is the hardest part, and also the most important one

id say im on my way
I'm kinda trying to get into jazz. I learned the chord melody to "All the Things You Are" and currently learning "Autumn in New York." I'm trying to nail the changes over 2-5-1's. I just need to get my apreggios down. Getting down all the chord have been fun.

Cool thing about jazz for me, is I'm finally not thinking scalar in my lead approach. Everything I play in lead now is dependent on the chord I'm playing behind of. I'm always trying to nail chord tones or whatnot. It's not like "ok this progression is in C major, and I'm just gonna noodle around in C all day." I think a lot more as to what notes to play.
Peavey JSX
Traynor YCV
Fender '68 Bassman
Jetter Gain Stage Red OD
MI Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Choralflange
Fender Strat
Carvin 7 String
Yeah, I had two Jazz lessons last year while my guitar teacher was on holiday. I thought it was really fun. It also comes in handy to know more things in general. This year in class we had to do an unprepared performance. Every group was set the same task using the same chord progression. we were not told the chord progression was a 2-5-1 progression, but it was blantently obvious. Everyone basically used a pentatonic scale to solo over it. It didn't sound very nice at all. Even though I only know the basics of jazz (I mean really basic). I wasn't stupid enough to use a pentatonic scale. It really pays off. Jazz is so much fun.