I did use the search bar, and google, with nothing. So here is my question:

I want to change my pickguard on my Glen Burton because I just really hate the standard white. So I went out today, and chose one, but realized it wouldn't fit ("No, he's a good guy, I'd trust him" - Mom), and was correct. So instead of going to buy another one, I figure I'll paint my existing one. So

What is the best type of paint to use?
How would you go about painting (as in sanding first, and if so, what grain?)

I want it to be shiny and smooth, with a cool new custom paint job (lol, hot pink on a blue Glen Burton. Smexy).

Also, while I'm at it, and while my guitar is disassembled, how would you go about painting the neck?
Last edited by Bluestribute at Jul 10, 2009,
When I painted the pickguard on my Epiphone Goth Explorer white I used Krylon Fusion spray paint. I applied several coats of paint and then several coats of clear cloat. I painted it about a year and a half ago and it still looks good.
Did you sand it all at? Because from what I've read they all say to "scuff it up". I've read that using 400 wet/dry works, but would that also make it smooth enough? Or did you just go ahead and spray paint it and clear coat it?
ive always wanted to do this, but afraid of ruining the white pickguard on my gibson explorer. its like $40 to get a new one from gibson
So just basically clean it, spray paint it, and use a clear covering over it to keep it nice and shiny and painted? And how would I paint the neck, or at least the head?
Alrighty, so I have lacquer, Primer, spray paint, and the Krylon Fusion Spray, with also sandpaper (60-800 plus an electric sander, like the one in the stickied thread). But I saw some painted pickup covers. Mine come off easily enough (the covers). Do I just spray paint them? Also, is it ok to leave the wiring in and just tape it up (we don't a soldering iron so cutting them is not an option)?

That string is stuck somehow. Can't get it out :| I'll have my teacher look at it eventually
wait, what exactly are you going to paint? if it's just the pickguard you shouldn't need to take out any wiring, if you want to paint the pickguard AND the pickup covers then you should just pop the single coil covers off (unscrew the pickups from the body first, obviously)

oh, and sometimes i've gotten strings stuck like that. happens sometimes with a string-through body. i've taken pliers (or just my hand) and forced the string down from the top. a little fighting and it'll pop out
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Jul 10, 2009,
thanks. I'm actually painting the whole body. But the wiring won't come out and we can't solder it back on if we cut them. Can I just tape over them? I don't care if the inside is blue. You don't see the inside
theres a tutorial in the refinishing sticky. And there was a thread about this yesterday so you obviously didn't use the search bar good enough
Quote by guitarcam123
theres a tutorial in the refinishing sticky. And there was a thread about this yesterday so you obviously didn't use the search bar good enough

I did but it didn't fit my exact needs, which changed, and I didn't want to hijack it. And I looked at the stickied painting thread, which was helpful, but nothing with pick guards (since I'ma paint the whole guitar instead now, not just guards)
there is a tutorial on pickguards in the refinishing thread. I'll quote it in here since you can't find it yourself
Quote by Ippon

If you want the paint to not scuff or peel, you need to use:

You have 2 options with Acrylic Paint for Plastic:

1. Paint for Plastic Primer + Acrylic Colorcoat Paint; or,
2. Paint for Plastic Colorcoat.

With either options, you need to lightly scuff sand. Use 400 grit, nothing coarser, or else the scratches will be too deep/rough. 600 is better.

With option 1, you'll have more choices with the colocoat. For example, if you decide on an elaborate or intricate design, the primer for plastic will serve as your base. This is best if your design is at least 3 or more colors.

Here's a sample:

With option 2, you can stick with a simple 1- or 2-color design. Here's a sample:

It is best to use Clearcoat on Option 1. Clearcoating is optional on Option 2.

Remember, Paint for Plastic will form a molecular bond with your PickGuard's plastic.

Good Luck!

guitarcam123, I don't know if you were being a dick or not but I really appreciate that 'cause I couldn't find it. Than again, I only looked at page 1 *woops*

I put Krylon Fusion on my list for my mother (she has my money). So that's all I need than (I have the other stuff for painting my guitar. I.E. primers and what not)? No covering? And is it easily obtained, as in, our local hardware store.

Also thanks Ippon for linking me to the post. Can't wait to start tomorrow!
Last edited by Bluestribute at Jul 10, 2009,
I would use vinyl die on white plastic but you already bought the paint. the reason your electronics wont come out is cause its soldered to the jack and the trem ground. buy a soldering iron for $10 at radio shack.

peace
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
No what, thanks for the replies, but this ain't happening. Because the guy at the hardware store said it was hard *facepalm*

**** my life. **** certain people in my life
Quote by deftonesordie
why are you so quick to give up?!

Because my god damn mom won't get me my supplies because the guy at the store said "he doesn't know what he's getting into". That why.

Now if it were my dad . . . that would be a different story. He's cool.
tell your mom to fuck off, it's spraypaint. literally, point and shoot. take your time and research a lot, you'll do fine. you have to learn somehow, right?
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
tell your mom to fuck off, it's spraypaint. literally, point and shoot. take your time and research a lot, you'll do fine. you have to learn somehow, right?

That's what I've been saying. So instead, she says "do it with your aunt when she comes". WTF? Because like 30 years ago my aunt worked for Taylor, my mom think's she an expert at painting electric guitars
Quote by Bluestribute
because the guy at the store said "he doesn't know what he's getting into". That why.

How old are you? Whatever, regardless, that guy sounds like a complete twat, it's spray painting plastic for christ sake!

It's the exact same way with my parents, dads are the ****
Quote by Bluestribute
Because my god damn mom won't get me my supplies because the guy at the store said "he doesn't know what he's getting into". That why.

I'm abosolutely aweful with that sort of thing and I'm managing ok.....With extensive guidance from the refinishing thread.

Seriously, that one thread can fix any problem you run in to.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Schism1985
It's the exact same way with my parents, dads are the ****

I disagree wholeheartedly.
------

Shwiggity.
No, I was sleeping (pulled an all nighter last night) while my mom was getting the supplies. I wake up and she says "Oh, I didn't get anything because the guy at the store said you didn't know what you were getting into". Now I have to have my dad go get stuff hopefully before they close so I can have a slight chance of finishing it before I go on vacation . . . good excuse though to stay home this weekend and not be bored to death.

Biggest question: Can I tape over the electronics. That is one thing I don't want to mess with, AKA cutting
Quote by Bluestribute
No, I was sleeping (pulled an all nighter last night) while my mom was getting the supplies. I wake up and she says "Oh, I didn't get anything because the guy at the store said you didn't know what you were getting into". Now I have to have my dad go get stuff hopefully before they close so I can have a slight chance of finishing it before I go on vacation . . . good excuse though to stay home this weekend and not be bored to death.

Biggest question: Can I tape over the electronics. That is one thing I don't want to mess with, AKA cutting

You can but it causes some hassle if you're doing the whole guitar. You'll just have to be careful while wet sanding. I didn't want to either but I'm replacing the pickups and they were getting in the way so I cut 'em.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
You can but it causes some hassle if you're doing the whole guitar. You'll just have to be careful while wet sanding. I didn't want to either but I'm replacing the pickups and they were getting in the way so I cut 'em.

I was actually thinking about doing a complete makeover (MTV P.M.G. lol), and going out and buying new hardware, and only having two knobs so I can put in a killswitch, but I leave for New York next week. I don't want my half finished guitar waiting for me for that long, and I know painting takes at least 2-3 days if you do it correctly, plus that means tomorrow my DAD (my mom will say "he said you don't know what you're getting into") will have to go get new hardware and a soldering iron and soldering wires.

But this time it has to be what I need because of the 3 pickups (NOT changing my pickguard. Painting it) and there is only a little tunnel from the input jack. Maybe my dad will.