Hi, i'm a huge fan of Buckethead and I am seaking to learn some theory and technique that characterizes his metal style (except for 2h tapping, as i'll seek into that later).

The stuff I'm confused about is, wtf does he do in songs (to narrow it down) like King James, Nottingham Lace and Botnus? xD Does he just rubb a certain scale up and down the song?
he usually plays music in songs. and has some diversity with his music...? theirs really not a way to narrow it down.

Edit: oh sorry i dident see you had songs that you wanted to know about.
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
He uses Eb minor on the Soothsayer solo. Don't remember much else though. I assume he uses Eb minor alot though
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
But is there any kind of musical style I should study? Like classical or something?
Last edited by dogmax at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by dogmax
But is there any kind of musical style I should study? Like classical or something?

How about Buckethead style.

Learn his songs.
Hehe you're funny. I mean, it's gotta have roots somewhere.

Should I transcribe them or learn by tab? I mean transcribing is more aural training than it is theory.. right? I was kinda thinking of learning a bunch of songs and all guitar parts (lead, rythm and what else) and try to look for 'patterns' that .. repeats, you know? I bet that could be rewarding in a way.

Is there a certain scale that he uses alot?
whatever scale he uses won't make you sound like buckethead - you can pick up any scale and still sound like him, just as much as picking up whatever scale he does use can make you NOT sound like him.

its HOW you play, what skills he uses in his playing, and how you use them.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
that's also what i thought learning and playing his songs could help me do, right? To 'adapt' his style. I realize that i'm never gonna be a Buckethead clone, and i never wanna be. But the things is i like his music and i'd like my music to be influenced by his.

Just like Buckethead is greatly inspired Paul Gilbert and Randy Rhoads and was by Angus Young in his early days, but he doesn't sound anything like Gilbert, Rhoads and Young today :p.
And my question is, how do I do that?
I think he uses Pentatonics with fast picking and finger tapping. At least in his Nottingham Lace solo. Which he also tunes funny
I think Nottingham Lace is just standart E tuning down a whole step.
But I don't mean solo wise, it's boring only to focus on a solo. When I asked about the songs I meant the whole song.
I don't want to sound rude/repelant or anything.
Quote by dogmax
I think Nottingham Lace is just standart E tuning down a whole step.
But I don't mean solo wise, it's boring only to focus on a solo. When I asked about the songs I meant the whole song.
I don't want to sound rude/repelant or anything.

then learn and study his songs.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Thats the first thing i'll do when i get up.
I'll just start with King James it sounds less complicated.
He's got a lot of blues influences, but it's kind of hard to pin down. He switches styles so much. However, he still ends up using a lot of pentatonics. Some of the extra-roboto stuff is actually just shape driven. Like, for example, he'll play 3-5-8 up and down on each string or something like that and call it a day. Dimebag did that on occasion too, like the solo in Cowboys From Hell has a lick in it that's just 11-12-15 on each of the strings, twice I think. But that's just what I've observed from looking at a few tabs and listening to a few of his albums. I'm sure if you play a lot of his songs you will develop some of his style. To a certain extant that always works.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I already study blues, but I think that he mixes stuff... Like blues + something else (funk maybe?). I'll look into it. Maybe i'll mix something =) Blues + classic OOO even better: funk and classical :P

Anyway, I also bought this book off of amazon that Buckethead used to learn from I'm really excited about it.. I hope it arrives soon
Probably some funk too, but I really don't know the first thing about funk. I don't think he's done anything remotely close to classical though. I might look more into this, actually.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Whats interesting about buckethead is the fact that he doesnt tend to solo in a root position of the bass and drums. This is sort of "natural" modal playing because hes listened to a lot of jazz where the intervals used are totally different to "conventional" music (listen to a hendrix chord compare with a power chord, it sounds strange because the intervals arent perfectly or nearly perfectly consonant like octaves and fifths.

This use of funny intervals like those in a diminished scale going straight back into a straight fifth from the root from of the bassline is what really distinguishes his style from normal rock guitarists who tend to solo in E pentatonic over an E chord etc etc.

Hes also not scared to play things that sound dissonant and resolve them back into a melody which is what tends to seperate a "mature" guitarist.
He's very funk influenced.
If you can't hear that, then wow...
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by dogmax

Anyway, I also bought this book off of amazon that Buckethead used to learn from I'm really excited about it.. I hope it arrives soon

if you're talking about the "scales and melodic patterns" book, if you cant read sheet music you wont get very far.
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
He uses Eb minor on the Soothsayer solo. Don't remember much else though. I assume he uses Eb minor alot though

Soothsayer is in Bb minor.

TS learn his songs and analyse them.

Quote by RedFez64
This is sort of "natural" modal playing because hes listened to a lot of jazz where the intervals used are totally different to "conventional" music .

all intervals are used in all music. And off the top of my head i can't think of a single modal buckethead song.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 10, 2009,
I expressed that poorly, when he's playing over a note he doesnt tend to gravitate towards the note thats being played he tends to play "away" from the root note without being out of scale. Its not being played expressly to be modal, but he's building off of a different interval within the scale than the root. Padamansa especially i hear a lot of this type of sound in just giving it a listen.
Quote by RedFez64
I expressed that poorly, when he's playing over a note he doesnt tend to gravitate towards the note thats being played he tends to play "away" from the root note without being out of scale. Its not being played expressly to be modal, but he's building off of a different interval within the scale than the root. Padamansa especially i hear a lot of this type of sound in just giving it a listen.

Building what?

In short, He avoids the use of the tonic to create tension in his songs.
Quote by RedFez64

I'm not sure if I understand?

Do you mean; if Buckethead plays something over an E, he tends to not play the tone E over the when there's an E in the background?
Or do you mean that if he plays in the key E, he seeks not to play an E?

Also, at the moment I analyse his construction of his songs. I.e. how he builds up tension. Any tips on what else I could analyse?

Quote by griffRG7321
Building what?

In short, He avoids the use of the tonic to create tension in his songs.

What do you mean with 'tonic' ?
Last edited by dogmax at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by dogmax

What do you mean with 'tonic' ?

The tonic is your root note. If you're in the key of E minor, your tonic note is E. By note finishing off melodies on your tooo means they will unresolved which will most likely build tension which buckethead does alot.
Ahh great tip, it's actually pretty good to have in mind. I'm kinda thinking it will also resolve if it ends on a 5th?