Hey guys, I spend most of my time not practicing guitar recording. I've got an E-Mu tracker pre and a variety of condenser and dynamic mics. I was wondering what advantage there is to using legit studio monitors. I have a surround sound type system set up in my room that I use to play back my recordings, and I monitor with a set of really nice headphones.
Do the monitors have a really flat response or something? Because I know the sound system sounds pretty different from my headphones which are pretty flat.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Monitors give a more or less completely accurate "flat" representation of the sound, whereas your surround system is designed to make music sound good, so it isn't flat. For example, if your speakers atm have really nice powerful bass, you might be undercompensating in the mix and your tracks will have weak bass when played on other systems.
Quote by Artemis Entreri

Do the monitors have a really flat response or something?

Bingo.

The advantage of proper monitors is that you will be able to accurately hear what is recorded.
Of course, you'll always hear better with good headphones (at least compared with monitors under €1k). But headphones mess up things like panning and depth so it's advisable not to mix entirely on headphones.

Myself, I just check on panel speakers (if you don't know what they are, they're laptop-thin speakers which deliver about the same bass as 8" woofers. pretty amazing portable solution). The problem with cheap monitors is that they don't give good bass, because you can't just boost the bass like on small hifi systems without messing it up, you need properly designed speaker cones and crossovers.
Quote by sam i am
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Monitors give a more or less completely accurate "flat" representation of the sound, whereas your surround system is designed to make music sound good, so it isn't flat. For example, if your speakers atm have really nice powerful bass, you might be undercompensating in the mix and your tracks will have weak bass when played on other systems.

Yeah that's my problem. I have a super nice subwoofer, so I always use bass reduction, then I get in my car, and I'm like why the hell is there no bass.

I mostly mix with headphones now, but there is that panning problem.

For a temporary solution, should I mix with the headphones which were marketed as perfectly flat, and then pan with the system? Or are those speakers mentioned above just like my old altec-lansing computer speakers?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Yeah that's my problem. I have a super nice subwoofer, so I always use bass reduction, then I get in my car, and I'm like why the hell is there no bass.

I mostly mix with headphones now, but there is that panning problem.

For a temporary solution, should I mix with the headphones which were marketed as perfectly flat, and then pan with the system? Or are those speakers mentioned above just like my old altec-lansing computer speakers?

Its not a matter of having a "nice" anything, its all about the accuracy. and the room will play a big role in that too. i suggest getting a decent set of monitors (without a sub), nothing too flashy, and spend some time setting up properly in the room, maybe even get some acoustic treatment for the room.
Quote by TheDriller
Its not a matter of having a "nice" anything, its all about the accuracy. and the room will play a big role in that too. i suggest getting a decent set of monitors (without a sub), nothing too flashy, and spend some time setting up properly in the room, maybe even get some acoustic treatment for the room.

I mean, I would love to. But I'm going to college in 4 weeks. I'll try grabbing a set of monitors, but I can't do anything about the room. My school will have practicing rooms and since one of my majors is music I'll be able to use them. But that's about as good as I can get.
I really just need a temporary solution though since I can't really afford monitors right now easily. When I get settled in, I planned on buying some anyway.

I do spend a lot of time setting up in the room though.
And I know for recording it's about the accuracy, but for listening to music, it was about how good the subwoofer made my music sound for me.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jul 10, 2009,