Alright, so i've seen *alot* of EMG fanboys both on and off the net, claiming that their active pickups can do 'anything'. From my relative personal experience playing with a few guitars that had them installed, i'd have to disagree for the most part and prefer slightly lower output pickups myself.

My question however, since i don't have *alot* of experience with these pickups, is on just how 'overpowering' it's active qualities are.

I started re-finishing a *really* crappy guitar that i acquired for free last year, Really just kind of polishing a turd to get a feel for removing finishes, painting, refinishing, installing hardware, ETC. a real kinda throw away project, *But* i want the thing to be playable when i'm done. now, i don't expect this thing to sound amazing, the body seems almost like someone glued a few fence posts together... But i want to be able to play it at gigs and what not because of the paint job i'm doing. My question: if i use one of these EMG's, will the active qualities be enough that the body wood doesn't matter so much? I've heard alot of criticism on how emg's just sound like EMGs and ruin any nuances you get from the body, Depending on how true that is, it may actually be a boon in this case.

so, what do you think? is the EMG active good enough to compensate for really *really* ****ty tone wood? or should i just save the hundred and some bucks and put the stock pickup in and leave the guitar on my wall?
No EMG's might take out some of the qualities of the wood, but if it is crappy wood it will show thru.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Probably. Most people find that they give their own tone, no matter what the wood is and other parts of the guitar etc. As long as you have a decent amp (and you can EQ), you'll get a tone that's more than just usable as long as you're using them for the music they're supposed to be used for.
my strat sounds like a strat
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
They will sound like EMGs in anything. Not all EMGs are dirty.

^Gilmore has the SAs in his red strat for live shows.
I have the 81, SA, S in my Jackson, 18v.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by fretsonfire74
Probably. Most people find that they give their own tone, no matter what the wood is and other parts of the guitar etc. As long as you have a decent amp (and you can EQ), you'll get a tone that's more than just usable as long as you're using them for the music they're supposed to be used for.

This, if you are playing metal than I've heard that EMG's will act like EMG's in almost any guitar.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
i wish i could give a real a/b comparison, but to be honest i couldn't tell much difference between my sg's stock pickups and the emgs. overtime i hear the differences, but it's not a complete overhaul in tone.

so i dunno, if there's any truth in this blanket statement, it will help. but if the guitar is constructed poorly, yes, it's going to sound poorly constructed.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
if the guitar is that bad, you'll still hear it, but EMG's do have their own "flavor," especially with higher gain settings.

I h8 emg 81/85's by the way. I feel an inexplicable urge to say that everytime someone starts a thread about EMGs. but in your case it might be the right move. that, or you could just chunk a couple invaders in there and no one would know your guitar sucks because the pickups would be too god-awful for anyone to understand you.
There's a thread that a friend from the GB&C made on another forum just about EMGs.
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=41109
All you need to know is there.

tl;dr: EMGs don't REALLY suck wood tone, they're just usually found in overly bright instruments which makes them sound sterile. They actually, due to their more even string response create a great representation of the wood, it' just that people tend to use similar amps with ub3r gain that makes EMGs all sound the same.

Another tl;dr: They sound better in mahogany because they pick up wood tone better.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 10, 2009,
you've kinda got it backwards man.

emg's are very low out put pick-ups. VERY low. the power comes from the pre-amp that's built in along with the pick ups. so they're very transparent pickups with out much of their own nuances. this makes the tone of the guitar/wood come through even more.

what people are reffering to more likely is the clipping you get from them. they run with a 9v batter which is just enough to power them. there's a mod to run them on two 9v's, bumping up the power of the pre-amp opening up the tone.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
i like them a lot, and i dont playe br00talz at all anymore i play a lot of rock n roll of the 70s and a lot of 80s glam, and to me theres something about emg's i just love for rock, i cant really explain it lol i guess its just personal prefence
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i wish i could give a real a/b comparison, but to be honest i couldn't tell much difference between my sg's stock pickups and the emgs. overtime i hear the differences, but it's not a complete overhaul in tone.

so i dunno, if there's any truth in this blanket statement, it will help. but if the guitar is constructed poorly, yes, it's going to sound poorly constructed.

This.

I cant really pick out any major sound difference between my emg's and lets say the burstbuckers on my les paul. i mean like john said afterwhile you can pickup the subtle differences but chances are its not the main tone deciding factor.

And like derek said, its really low output. the built in preamp just roids up the signal
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks